7 Channel Amp @ 200w rms per

HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited July 2002 in Electronics
outlawaudio.com has a 7 channel amp. any thoughts regarding quality, like it or trash it???
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    Is there anywhere you can go hear it??I never heard there stuff go, but I read about it from time to time.Seems like they sell there stuff cheap,I don't know how to take there stuff without hearing it first.Or anyone elses for that matter.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    I haven't heard it obviously but I have heard the Outlaw receiver and thought it was pretty good, not a serious demo but it didn't strike me as bad. I've also read some good things about them.....

They also have a 30 day money back guarantee.....which I see as a secure way to demo the gear. What the heck demo it, and if you don't like it, send it back.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2002
    UPS is at my house today... I'm hoping for the best but with the 30day i figured what the hell.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited June 2002
    So who was that bitchin that they couldn't get a pre/pro for less than a 1000? And these guys will overnight it for $55 that's amazing given how much this type of EQ weighs... I have seen this brand in homes around here, but I've only run into the 5.1's they sound nice, one guy even had SDA's on there... so we know that he has good taste in Speakers ya???

Clay
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Personally, I think that Outlaw is probably the best deal in audio right now. The company started out in Durham NH, about 10 mins from my parents, literally in some dudes house......All they really are are subcontractors. From what I've seen, they have some good gear at a damn good price. It's also got the cool NAD'ish look, however, I think the logo is ****.

Anyway, thier pre/pro for a grand is arguably the best bargain out there right now.

BDT
  • cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited June 2002
    Has anyone on the forum had any experience with any of the Outlaw products. They have gotten great reviews from home theatre magazine and other sources, but I have heard some questions about the reliability? Anyone have any more knowledge of the outlaw products?
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I heard that there were some issues with thier first units (to be expected) but I have also heard that they are similar to Polk in that they will do what it takes to make you happy....

BDT
  • HBombToo
    edited June 2002
    TroyD, THE LOGO SUCKS!!! Maybe add a picture of Yosimity Sam or something.... This site need spell check for idiots like me

I wired it up last night and the box is fantastic! The whole house was shakin and the Wife was really PISSED OFF so I guess I'm happy now.

The amp was great on many different music types from classical through Rock with what sounded very linear across the entire freq range. The Matrix was just unbelievable... I never thought I would get so much bang for the buck!

I'm now a firm believer in Bi-Wiring which I did for the first time on my center channel and what an immediate difference. The mains go biwire next... I do have a question about the whole biwire thing though: If we use an RCA Y on the pre out we cut power by 3dB? so if that is correct, then the 2 separate amps will ony be running at 1/2 power?? so why does it sound so much clearer???

After installing and playing around last night I have no intention of sending the Amp back... Outlaw 1 my approval! As far as reliability the 5 year warranty is a big comfort much like are friends at Polk.

Now this is getting fun.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    HBombToo:

An RCA Y splitter on the pre-out will not cut the power in half and result in a 3dB loss of volume.

In theory, the signal can be split infinitely with no drop in voltage. In reality, there is a limit to this, but splitting it twice will not matter.

To prove it, measure the voltage at the pre-out on a test tone signal, and then measure it again with the Y splitter connected - it will be the same at each lead.

It sounds clearer because you are simply employing superior amplification. Just ask Ron-P......he's running a bunch of Adcoms and he loves them.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS