SDA serial number list

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited March 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Someone posted an SDA list of serial numbers and I can't seem to find it anymore. I had printed it off and have lost it. I checked the serial numbers on my SDA 2?s and if the list was correct I would have the 2As not the 2Bs. I believe the 2B's serial numbers started in the 14000s and my serial numbers are in the 12000s. Can anyone help with the serial number issue?
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    That's the one. Thanks alot. I was correct about the 2Bs starting in the 14k's.

One more question, though, If my serial numbers start in the 12000s, do I then have 2As? They have SL2000s and BB IC.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    If you have ONE tweeter, you have 2b's. That chart is for SDA's that you can use the AI-1 with, I think.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    If you have ONE tweeter, you have 2b's. That chart is for SDA's that you can use the AI-1 with, I think.

Oh, so your saying that the chart is only telling which 2B's are compatible with the AI-1?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yes.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Don't forget at Troy's house when we looked at the manual for the AI-1, it had some blurb about the AI-1 not working with some 2B models, at least not without a modification to the crossover.

Jesse, can you scan that manual?

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Done
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 719
    edited March 2014
    Options
    A buddy if mine is looking at some SDA-2's and trying to figure out if they are 2Bs. Is the list posted by F1NUT confirmed as reliable or should my friend ask the seller to pull a driver or the passive to inspect the crossover? The cabinets are the old vinyl type, one tweeter, not sure on the IC connection. What do you think?
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Some early 2Bs had blade/blade sockets. 2B studio monitors look almost identical to the 2As. Your friend needs to pull one of the passive radiators to see if the crossover is the one piece, rectangular 4th generation, or the two piece 3rd generation.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2014
    Options
    A buddy if mine is looking at some SDA-2's and trying to figure out if they are 2Bs. Is the list posted by F1NUT confirmed as reliable or should my friend ask the seller to pull a driver or the passive to inspect the crossover? The cabinets are the old vinyl type, one tweeter, not sure on the IC connection. What do you think?
    The posted list from F1nut was accurate AT THE TIME IT WAS PUBLISHED. The blurb about "ALL UNITS of 2B..." meant "all units" that had been built at that date. Later units were fully-compatible.

The "modification" to make them AI-1 compatible is nothing more than a foot of wire to connect the second blade of the blade/blade socket to the negative binding post, and some sort of adapter to make the pin-blade AI-1 cable plug into the speaker--possibly by replacing the blade/blade socket with a pin/blade socket. Now, it'd be easier and better to use an additional regular binding post, or a "Speakon" connector, or some other connection method--in part because the aftermarket AI-1 probably doesn't use a pin-blade connector.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?131691-2B-and-EARLY-1C-AI-1-modifications
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The posted list from F1nut was accurate AT THE TIME IT WAS PUBLISHED. The blurb about "ALL UNITS of 2B..." meant "all units" that had been built at that date. Later units were fully-compatible.

That list is 100% accurate today as it was then, you read it wrong.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That list is 100% accurate today as it was then, you read it wrong.
    I read it that "ALL UNITS of SDA 2B require plug adapters and some internal modification..." but in fact there are 2Bs which, ACCORDING TO POLK SCHEMATICS already have the proper pin/blade SDA socket on the back, and it's already got both conductors wired appropriately to be compatible with an AI-1.

Therefore, some time AFTER the list was published, Polk started equipping SDA 2Bs with the correct sockets and wiring. Therefore "ALL" units of 2Bs do NOT require plug adapters and internal mods. Early units do, later units don't. The list was correct at the time it was published, but is no longer correct for the later-production 2Bs.

The exact same thing happened with the 1C, early units needed the "Plug adapters" and the "internal modification", later units didn't. The only difference is that the change from non-compatible to compatible happened before that list was published, and Polk supplied the serial numbers of the early, non-compatible 1Cs.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    No, what it says is that all 2B's prior to the serial numbers listed on the chart require plug adapters and internal modification. The serial numbers listed for the 2B's on the chart do not require plug adapters and internal modification as they are already set up with the pin/blade connections and mods.

It also says that all 1C's prior to the serial numbers listed in addition to the serial numbers noted at the bottom need the plug adapters and internal modification.

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't know if this helps but my #s are 15673 left-15439 right blade/blade w/ dates of late 1987 and early 1988 and think 3rd generation. I might be wrong on generation but I also have the fabric sided solid light oak tops that were restained.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/leftwinger57leftwinger/media/speakers001_zpsf58960fb.jpg.html
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Lew, yours are 4th generation
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/