Surrounds wire

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I say let people go buy what they want. For me, I don't need wire that someone else says is best or has this "name" on it. If the true was to be known, 95% of all speaker wire is made by 2 companies? Hell, maybe 99%?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited May 2002
    >If the true was to be known, 95% of all speaker wire is made by 2 companies? Hell, maybe 99%?

Damn skippy. Exactly what I was saying about wire...do you really think one companies oxygen free copper is better than anothers?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Some of us do, some of us don't.

I think I'm about done with this topic.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    I think we all need to get together and have a speaker wire orgy! Then we could resolve this wire debate once and for all.

Aaron
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I think we all need to get together and have a speaker wire orgy!

No thanks? I will sit this one out!;)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Man, I wish "Lamp Cord" Ken was still around. He'd make this discussion extra-special.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Or Tony Rome for that matter......

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Old Tony had a knack for sorting fact and fiction...

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Old Tony had a knack for sorting fact and fiction...
    But Gold help you if you disagreed.

Aaron
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited May 2002
    Kenneth Swauger, you guys wouldnt have any of your old wire from the late 70's laying around?????
  • weavercr
    edited May 2002
    Mantis I am curious, Did you ever test the wire Polk sold in the late 70's and early 80's ? I like your opinion of them.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Good ,
    I see you have tested wire...good for you.And I read correctly you want better.Thats the whole fun of it.

The point of when any speaker is getting exceeding by the quality of the wire...................very good question.
    At this point money can be a starting factor.about 20 to 25 percent of the total retail cost of your speaker usually puts you in the class of wire you should be using.
    Debatable but a great staring point.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    VinnyP61 - had no idea what you were starting when you posted this, eh? :D hope you got your cables and are listening happily to your f/x300i's...
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited May 2002
    In my former life as a Ham Radio Operator that built his own receivers and transmitters, copper was still copper and silver was better and gold wire was a dream never realized. Of course the proper guage was always important as far as impedence and other electronic mumbo jumbo was concerned. Its no different in A/V systems. If you want really high tech wiring go for the gold !
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • VinnyP61
    VinnyP61 Posts: 28
    edited May 2002
    LOL I never thought this thread would go on this long LOL

BTW I am using 14 gauge thanks
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited May 2002
    :lol: I bet my gauge is bigger than yours!!!......*L*
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    I bet my gauge is bigger than yours!!!......*L*
    I bet your length is shorter than mine, too! :D

Aaron
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited May 2002
    I bet my gauge is bigger than yours!!!.
    I bet your length is shorter than mine, too!
    Oh hell... size matters in wires too??? Damn I AM screwed...
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited May 2002
    Hi:

I have a suggestion that will make everyone feel good. If you can afford 24K wire go for it, if you use extra long battery cables and like the sound, go for it. In short, get what you can afford and live with it. If it makes you happy fine.

Gary:lol:
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    wend people hear a differance wend they change wire is wend they move there speaker a little and moving the speakers a little is what they are hearing not the change of wires, or they had a bad connection on the hookup before they changed wires.or went to a bigger gage wire. thats my thinking.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    cruiser3 yes on that, wend i worked as deck hand on a yahat the owner got a cb radio and after a week it quit working, and i took it apart and the whole thing was green inside from corrosion and i ask the skipper why dosent the merine radio corrode he said that all the inside wires and eleictronics was gold plated, very expensive radios. the salt air eats up every thing else.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • weavercr
    edited May 2002
    Mantis I asked you if you tested the Polk wire in the past, late 70's eairly 80's. No answer. I was wanting your opnion on that wire?

I have tested lots of different wire and now I wish I still had access to the high tech test equipment I did in the 70/80's. I could test the inductance and capacitance along with other physical properties on different wire so I could have some hard data to compare against the sound changes.

I also have some ideals on making wire and interconnects that I want to try down the line. Too busy right now. I will start with the interconnects. I believe that more is to be gained here first because all effects are multiplied
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Sorry dude,
    No I never tested the Polk wire,I never even seen it.Have you asked them why they don't use it anymore ??Or sell it for that matter.
    Most people in here think wire is a joke.Funny how most of them have no proof of there statements.They just talk about it and never take the time to experience it for themselves.I don't really care ,I stated my feelings and expereinces on wire.I have tested many different kinds over the years.Wire does make a hell of a difference.But some have no time for that......there loss.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    I won't speak for anyone else, I believe wire can and does make a difference....

The only thing I ponder, and wish for data to prove, is that why is company A's 14awg ofc wire is better than company B's 14awg ofc wire.....

I actually looking forward to getting my Audioquest back from loan, look forward to trying Frank Dai's signal cables, even working on getting a pair of Straight Wire cables.....

Cheers,
    Russ

weave, I don't think you will find many people that have heard or own the 'Polk' cable, apparently it use was far from widespread, and production run very short... I'd be interested to hear Polk's take on it though.....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Agreed, Russmasterflex

I don't think that anyone is really saying that there isn't a difference.....we are just looking for some of this supposed data supporting some of the claims.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    What is the data going to prove,
    If it doen't sound better,different,worse,whatever it doen't matter anyway.
    Ok,
    if you listen to Monstercables m950i interconnect and compare it to transparent's Musiclink interconnect and hear a bigger soundstage,more detail to the music,greater dynamic's and softer bass responce that sounds like the music sounds natural,airy,full of life.Then put the Monster back in it's place and hear high inpack bass,higher pitched trebble,sharper sounding high hats.
    Now in your post you want to know why one sounds better than the other.It's personall what one you like better but Transparent will tell you exactly why there wires are better than Anyones elses on the market at any price.Monster will tell you why there wires are as good as they are.The technology is on there web sites.As well as other wire manufactors.
    If you really want to know, go visit there warehouse and see for your self.Meet with a rep,call them on the phone.You can find the other answers you seek.
    I have spoke/trained/visited many companies and saw first hand/learned first hand.I can't tech you, you need to experience this on your own.
    I still believe that your ears are all the proof you need.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Here is all I will give you.
    Monster puts alot of time and efford into there magnaflex tubing.There is a big reason for this.They have many different things they do to there cables to make them better.Shielding is a big factor.
    Transparent puts there focus on there network bricks.They make a great cable without the bricks buts the bricks bring everything together.Visit there website, request some lit and they will tell you all about it.I have been trained on both companies.they are different in what they do.They both make excellent cables.Transparent are more musicial and detailed.Refined if you will.Monster is more about slam mode and extra life in the sound.

They both told me that there wire is the best and had plenty of proof to back it up.But in the end i desided what cable/wires I liked better.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    I to believe your ears are all the proof you need.

In the above comparision, which cable sounds 'true' and correct, or are they simply adding their own 'color' to the recording? (which some may find pleasing, but does not prove it moves the audio signal better)

I just find it odd that no cable company EVER has published a double-blind-test to show that their cable does sound better (to most people).

Pepsi challenge if you will.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    The last thing I have to say,
    just take 2 different companies wire that claim to be good quality.Listen to those wires and hear foryourself.then you will see.Then find out why the 2 wires sounded different, what made one sound one way and the other the other.
    Please post some results of YOUR demoing of wire instead of beating a dead horse with all the questions.
    I remember one of you posting this wire thing needs to die or something like that, but you guys still insist on talking about it.Go do it, then talk.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Russman,
    yes they have.Years ago Monstercable came down to BrynMawr and took the Pepsi challenge.
    Home Theater magazine did a wire shoot out years ago.There was alot of different kinds of wire tested against each other.Monstercable won that contest for overall better wire.If i find it, which I have it somewhere in my archive,In will post the year and month and maybe they can send you a copy of it.
    Dan