music or gear?

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited May 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
So fellas, what's more important to you, the actual music or the gear that you use to reproduce it??

I been thinking about this for a while. You have guys like Micah for example, who, from appearances is more into the content of the material (be it music or movies) and could care less if it's played through computer speakers, boombox or whatever. The lovely Wendi is SQUARLEY in this camp. Being savvy with the beads and shells it also agrees with her financial program as well but that's another topic.

On the other hand, you have others, for whom, it's all about the gear. Speakers, amps, wire etc etc etc.....

And not that there is anything inherently wrong with either, I'm just curious what others think

I would have to classify myself as being middle of the road. I mean, I got music in my sole as much as the next broham but I dig the gear as well.....

What you guys think??

Chief WFR
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i think that it is a 30% equipment 70 % music. cant have the good music with out the good equiptment
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002

Good question,
    For me I will but it this way.I have been into music all my life,Home theater since it's been availble in the home.Long ago I was more into the software, now today as I sit here typing this I find myself more into the gear.At the end of the day ,its a harmony that involves you, takes you out of reality for awhile,releaving the day to day stresses of work, money ,family,life.I feel the better you accomplish this, the better you can relax.Thats whats it's all about for me...relaxing.
    Then again I have a problem with absessing over gear!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    I think, plot, plan & dream about equipment. But I spend more on the music source and not its' reproduction. I have no doubt that I could make a $1500 investment in better equipment, but then again this would be about 100 CDs.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    I've often pondered this question as well. I've always been attracted to the hardware, first with computers, then with mountain bikes, and now with stereo/HT. Oh yeah, cars too. I guess that's the engineer in me. While I thoroughly enjoy the experience that all these things bring, I can't help but obsess over the gear. Why? Because it makes the experience better. Ultimately, what made you interested in the gear? The experience. I doubt anyone went out and bought a stereo system just to have the gear; they bought it to listen to their music.

Aaron
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    as long as the music sounds good i dont care if it was played on spoons
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I'm not sure if I can answer this without lieing to myself? I want to say it's 99% music and 1% gear but I know for sure this would be a lie! I would also like to take TroyD's approach and say 50-50, but this too would probably not be true for me? There is music that I can't listen to at all on lets say a boombox, but play it on a kick **** rig and I can enjoy it very much. But on the other hand, there is music I can enjoy even if Russman sang it?(maybe a stretch but you get my point) But to really say to what degree one means over the other for me it would probably be 65% gear and 35% music? But it is hard for me to say for sure?

KING WANNABE
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    King Wannabe......Mad funny brotha.

Chief WFR
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    I created a monster.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Yeah, but it's HILARIOUS....at least to me...

Chieftan
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    OK, I am enjoying it also! But please, please don't tell!

KING WANNABE
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    LOL
    Dan
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    First comes the music, then the gear. My first choice is the go hear it live. Nothing compares. But since they won't play at my house I need some gear to play the recorded version. The gear is second, but man I dig shopping, buying, trying it out. I do this alot, so as the room fills up, and bank account dries up, I have to sell some of it.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited May 2002
    For me it would probably be 55% gear and 45% music? But it is hard for me to say for sure? I like tweaking with the gear a lot so it may be more like 65% / 35%. I like to get the most out of what I have.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2002
    For me:
    I like almost all music, good or bad, so long as it was mixed well and is being reproduced well. I like only a few selections of really good music which are not mixed or reproduced well. At first these facts tell me that I am 90% into the gear and 10% into the music but I think there is more to it. When I listen to any music live I tend to like it better than most anything recorded. I think another catagory is needed for this question, reproduction quality. I guess I can't really answer this question anyway because I tend to like sounds more so than music.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D