What should my size settings be...

blinboom
blinboom Posts: 3
I recently purchased RT600i's for my fronts, with the CS245i for center. I have the Velodyne CHT8 for my sub. I got them all oben box so there was no documentation. Should I set the fronts to large? How should I set the center? and...How do I set the crossover for the sub?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! I have ordered the AVIA set up CD but it will be at least a week before it gets here and I am itching to test this new setup out.

BTW... I have a Sony DTS and 5.1 setup/receiver with 100 Watts X 5, and my sub is hooked up with the dedicated channel on the receiver.

Thanks!

-Brad
Post edited by blinboom on

Comments

• Norm E. Dickey
    Norm E. Dickey Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    Basically, set them to what ever sounds better. You're not going to hurt the speakers if you set them to large or small. Play around with it. You may have to reposition the speakers, after making the changes, to get the best sound out of them.
    Do you know the concept or reason why there are large/small settings on your receiver? It's to direct the bass signals away from the speakers and send them to the subwoofer. As for the setting for the sub it would depend on your receiver. Mine sends all freqs below 80hrtz to the sub, so I set my subs to 80hrtz. Does that make sense? I hopes this helps and welcome to the forum. -Norm
    Welcome to my home, enter of your own free will and leave a bit of the happiness that you bring. -D
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited May 2002
    Hi:

Setting your speakers to large or small has nothing to do with how much bass is sent to the sub. The settings small and large allow you to relieve your speakers of low frequencies that could damage them and also allow you more flexibility to set your system the way it pleases you. The 5.1 Dolby Digital has it's own lfe signal that is sent to the sub. On CD or other media the sub only plays what it is capable of playing in the range of frequencies recorded on the media.

The material on non Dolby Digital media is decoded and distributed to your speakers depending on the way you have your receiver set. Dolby, stereo, 5.1 stereo, and so on.

Gary
  • Norm E. Dickey
    Norm E. Dickey Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    Not to get into an argument, but the bass management of my pre/pro must differ from sgtgto's. When set to 'small' the freqs below 80hrtz are sent to the sub in 5.1 mode. Blinboom, check your receivers manual to see if yours acts the same. If not, I apologize for the miss-information.
    Welcome to my home, enter of your own free will and leave a bit of the happiness that you bring. -D
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited May 2002
    In my opinion, you want all of your speakers set to 'small' and your receiver's crossover set to 80Hz. Your sub should be set to 'direct,' as opposed to 'internal crossover.' Adjust the subs volume on your Velo as it suits your pleasure. I like your setup, and I'll bet you enjoy your home theater environment.

Feel free to ask any and all questions, thanks, orange, thanks, Russ.
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited May 2002
    blinboom,
    You mention that you have no documentaton for your speakers, by that do you mean you have no manuals? If that's the case just download them. Go to Polks home page. In the Library section click on Product Manuals and scroll down to the speakers you have. See how easy Polk makes it! As others mentioned, experiment and go with what sounds best to you.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Blinboom,
    Your mains can play down into the 45hz range,not that low.The cs245 can play to 55hz, again not that low.Do you have rears???
    You sub im not sure what it can do but I bet it can get into the 30-36hz range.That being said I would run the system in small.Let the sub fill the bottom end, it will have the ability to do so better then your current speakers.If you add rears or have them, run them in small as well.
    The post on the sub only does LFE no matter what you set your speakers to is False.Hes somewhat on the right track but I think he missed the station.
    You system will perform at its best this way.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Setting your speakers to large or small has nothing to do with how much bass is sent to the sub.
    Gary, this isn't true. Norm is correct.

Aaron
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited May 2002
    Hi:

I have the Denon 4802 and the manual says," The only signal produced from the subwoofer channel are LFE signals, during playing of DD or DTS signals, and the low frequencie signal range of channels set to small in the setup menu." Reading this more closely, I realize I was wrong on that point. Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Gary
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited May 2002
    Forgot to add that it's not a bad idea to set your sub's crossover to it's highest (120Hz or whatever) Hz setting just to be safe.