Onkyo Tx-ds797

Handyhaver
Handyhaver Posts: 66
edited May 2002 in Electronics
I am looking for some feedback on this receiver. I have the RM7600 speakers and am just not satisfied with my JVC9010 ( a month old). I have listened to this unit and a few others at CC and was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with it, good or bad.

Thanks,

Mark
You can check out any time you like..,
but you can never leave...........
Post edited by Handyhaver on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Mark,

A lot of folks out there like the Oink amd they have a good reputation........ I would suggest going out and try to demo some others, Denon, Marantz, B&K, NAD etc.....figure out what sounds best to you, what features you like etc. etc.......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    iF YOUR LOOKING INTO oNKYO,
    you might rather look into Integra.They are there Premium line.You get better built quality,better sound,more features,all around better performance packaged with a longer warranty.
    I'm not a fan of there products on both ends but out of the 2 I would prefer the integra line.The new 5.3 is out and for what you spend on that receiver you get a ton for your money.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Handyhaver
    edited May 2002
    Mantis & Troy,

thanks for the feedback. I have been reading reviews of this receiver all night. There seems to be a problem with alot of these units after a few months use. Has really turned me off to this model. Seems to take more than a few weeks to ship out & get repaired. I would freak if I laid out this amount of cash and had to send it back for repairs after a few months.

The Denon 3802 is looking pretty damn good, and not that much more. Seems to be a VERY popular unit out here and have read nothing but good about it on other forums.

Could you recommend and places to get a good deal on the Denon?? Any help is muchly appreciated!!!

Mark
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    i picked up a denon 3801 about 3 weeks ago, and i am loving it. it mates beautifully with the polks. i would highly recommend going with a denon...
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    I think the Deno avr3802 is the perfect match for Polk speakers.
    You can't go wrong with this one.Try Tweeter for a good deal, they won't be undersold on the market,unless you trust online buying(which I do Not).
    Dan
  • Handyhaver
    edited May 2002
    I did a little research on the onkyo and it had ALOT of problems with a crakling sound coming out of the speakers after just a few months use. From what I read, Onkyo has admitted to a defect & has corrected it in the newer models but can not identify the defective ones still out on the shelves by serial #.

I do not want to roll the dice on this one

Mark
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Denon makes good products ( I own a Denon ) but the point is, what I like may not be what you like. Grab some cd's head out and go get your listen on.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Handyhaver
    edited May 2002
    ok, here's the deal................................

best price I found on the 3802 was 765.00 including shipping & ins. from an authorized Denon dealer, no e-tailor.

I beleive this is the best I'm going to find out there from an authorized dealer. I read on Denon's web site that they will only honor warranty from one.

I will be placing the order in the morning and should see my new unit by Thurs or Fri. at the latest. Damn, it's Christmas again!!

Is this a good price??

Mark
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Did you go hear it first???
    Dan
  • Handyhaver
    edited May 2002
    Mantis,

I listened to one at a local tweeters. I have not heard it with my polks as yet, the dealer has a good return policy so if for some reason I'm not happy with it I'm covered.

When I bough my polks I didn't hear them first, I went with all the reviews & polk reputation. I am very pleased with my purchase. I have heard nothing but good about this reveiver & polks, I'm not worried.

I plan on having this unit for a long time and upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 when I can swing a set of towers for the fronts (lsi15??)

Mark
  • Handyhaver
    edited May 2002
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My 3802 arrived today!!!!

Gonna be busy this weekend

Mark
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i have had my 787 for over a year now and i have had no problems and if i do i have a 5 year warentee on it