Will another pair of f/x300i for back surround be to much?

rciegr
rciegr Posts: 4
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I'm glad that I been lucky the sony STR-DE915 receiver(DD-5.1) is still working. I plan to move the sony in the bedroom and buy the Denon 3802(7X110) next week, so I started to buy new speakers. I have had the f/x300i for DD5.1-rear surround(mounted on the side walls in dipole mode) for the last six months with a old Infinity center(video-1) and some 10-yr. old 3-way full Pioneer towers(that will also go to the bedroom),
also a sony 120 watt sub. This week I ordered the rt800i's (from wholesaleconnection-HOLDING MY BREATH THEY SHOW UP) and the CS245i (from Cruthfield).

My question is, Do you guys think another pair of f/x300i's would work good as a rear/back surround with the denon 6.1 & 7.1 modes. The Denon manual says that using two bipole back surround speakers is a good idea if already using dipole/bipole side surround speakers. I have a good 4-ft to the back wall behind the couch and a good wall for mounting. My house consists of one big open living, dining and kitchen area.

Crutchfield has the Polk deal going, that if you spend $499 in polk speakers you get a free pair of atrium 45's or the R20's. I been thinking the atrium 45's will work better in the bedroom as surround speakers and will give more options with the tilt wall brackets. Crutchfield said I have 30 days to add to my CS245i order($149) the f/x300i($349) or the rt35i($349) and will get the free atr45's or rt20's.
Thanks for any help
Robert
Post edited by rciegr on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    Seems like most people have gone the direct method for the back
    surrounds (35i's) . Also recommended from THX.
    Though I do remember reading a study that people preferred another pair of dipoles for the back.:confused:
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    THX ULTRA specs are dipolar for all surround speakers
    THX ULTRA2 specs are dipolare rears and mono surround backs.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i went with the 500 for all my suround needs had to get 4 it is all good but the last 2 were hard to get
  • vmax
    vmax Posts: 3
    edited May 2002
    I have the same problem, don't know what to buy for my back speakers 7.1 setup. I have RT800, cs450, fx500, psw650. Another fx500 is almost impossible to find, local store is offering me the new FXi50, or should I just get bookshelvs.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2002
    I use Rt25i's for the rear speakers and and think that my setup sounds fantastic. From what I was able to find on the subject, bipole/dipole speakers work best for surround speaker aplications, and direct firing speakers should be used for the rear channel(s). But I guess it really comes down to what sounds best to each individual.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    i use rt25i's for my 6th and 7th channels. i think they work very well in this application. the 25i's were able to be ceiling mounted, so that's why i chose them over the rt35i's, but i think either of these would be ideal in your 7.1 channel set-up. i would recommend the direct radiating over another pair of bi/dipole's, but it's your choice and your ears, do what sounds good to you!
  • vmax
    vmax Posts: 3
    edited May 2002
    Ok Ok I got convinced, I'm picking RT25i on Friday. I will use my fx500 on the sides and RTs on the back channels. but what my fx500 should be set to dipole or bipole?