better picture from cable on HD ready set

ezc
ezc Posts: 426
edited May 2002 in Electronics
Any advice on getting better picture quality on a HD ready set from cable? I just got a 55" mits HD ready TV & DVD's look steller! But the only thing we want is better picture quality on cable TV. With our Sony Wega 27" Cable was not bad but not as good as DVD, with the HD ready set cable brodcasts look kind of bad although some stations looks pretty good. Will a cable signal booster work? or will a scaler be better? I checked locally & one company offers a HD converter box but there are only 3 chanels brodcasting in HD. I was told that the standard analog brodcasts will be only slightly better if any. Not worth the extra $30 a month for the HD right now. any advice? I also looked into satalite systems but no one offers local chanels. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    all i could say is get a line dubler or a up converter but as the saying goes in whenyou rae using amps grrbage in garbage out
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    No, No ,No
    Cable is what it is, the bigger the picture the worse it is.Remember that cable on its best day is only 240 lines,this isn't good for rear projectors.You should see it on front projectors 92 inch and up....awefull.
    You want better picture for a big screen..only one way to go....satellite.It has 400 lines, almost double what cable is...and Digital cable and hdtv cable sucks bad...real bad.
    Heres what you do......pick up a mitsubishi hdtv sat and receiver.Then Buy a off air antenna for local hdtv programs for free.Antenna will cost you Ooo about 50 bucks or so.Have it professionally installed and all your bad picture problems go away.sat is cheaper month to month as well will more service to offer.
    Comcast just sucks and thats that...this isn't an opnion...its a fact!!!!!!!
    Don't waste you money on a scaler...to much money for little gain...cable scaled is double trash.I know I have done it many times.....it sucks...
    if you have a screen and projector, then maybe you want to get into a scaler, or a plasma,maybe...but rear pojection????no.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ezc
    edited May 2002
    mantis thanks for the advise. I'll check into the sat & rec in the morinig. One dumb question what is an off air ant? Is it another dish ant? or is it a large mounted ant? Im kinda of new to this & still have alot to learn!. Thanks!
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Off antenna is like what your grand father had on his house years ago.Its big any ugly but you will/can get local hdtv this way.Hdtv cable decoders can't decode off air, only what gets pumped threw the cable line.
    Dan
  • ezc
    edited May 2002
    thanks been checking into direct tv here. I found out that Hawaii dosnt have the HDTV chanles like the states & our choices are very limited. I guess Oceanic Cable (the bigest & dominant)is able to keep most other cable companies out or make it soo hard for other companies to get going, most other co. give up. I guess thats how it goes here!
    I can get direct tv but limited on chanels & I was told I need special equipment. I have no idea what that means. I asked what quality will the brodcast be & was told equal to or maby slightly better than cable. I may be stuck with cable for a while longer or until direct tv offers more to us here.
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    thats a shame sorry to hear that.
    Dan
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited May 2002
    Wouldnt it be nice if the National Bureau of Standards could get their act together and come up with ONE transmission standard......I know, its too much to ask of them and the FCC......
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))