Last post made me think of this!!!

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited June 2002 in Speakers
How is the LSI line doing???
how many own them and why did you buy them over anything else on the market???
I stopped trying to get a good demo with any of the series.I simply gave up.But I'M still curious.
I'm real into Dynaudio and that shadows my longing for Polk anymore, I would love to hear some comments on the LSI's.And if you compared them to other speaker's in there class.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited May 2002
    Mantis,
    I am pretty new to the audio world, I currently own the LSiC, I have LSi9s arriving this week, and LSi15s arriving in 2 weeks. In the past I have run 2 Heil or Hiel speakers, my dads that he bought in 1976, very old school, I have blown the subs several times and have had to have the reconed. From just the center I am very impressived so far, and I am looking forward to hearing my entire home theatre in all LSi, since right now it is a cluster of different speakers, not matched at all. I have the LSic biwired with monster M series and am definately a fan of the split mids, and the sound stage is very wide, compared to the small sweetspot I had using the old Heil speakers. I am using just an HK AVR 300, so I doubt it will bring it out the true detail of the speakers, but plans for new parasound 2205 are in the work for the next few months. My friend has an Infinity INterlude (IL 40, 10, 25) system, so I we are both looking forward to comparing the sound between the two. I will let you know more when I get the rest of my order, way cheaper to buy on the internet, but the delivery can take forever if they aren't in stock, worth the wait and worth the price break though.
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited May 2002
    What's the best deal on the LSiC?
    I've seen it for $350 so far.
  • cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited May 2002
    I got my LSiC for 350, 379 w/ shipping through Sounddistributors.com.
    I purchased the LSi9s for 619, and the LSi15s for 1050, all through Sounddistributors.com He doesn't have them in stock right now, so it takes several weeks, but the prices are so much less than any where else, and they come in perfect condition, so I feel it is definately worth the wait.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited May 2002
    Mantis.

I was going to try and demo some polks last week. When I got to the turn in for the C.C. I just could not make myself go in. Polk really hurts themselves by selling there. My last demo attempt there was a joke.

I did get to demo some Martin Logan Aeon, B & W 805, and Paradigm 100 reference in a three way shoot out. All through some very nice Classe' equipment. They even moved the speakers into the exact same spot as the last speaker occupied, before playing that speaker. Try doing that at C.C. BTW I could probably live with any of those speakers, but thought the M/Ls won. They cost the most too. $3,000 pair, msrp.

I noticed you mentioned Dynaudios. You can hardly find any negatives written about those. Are they really that good? I think I will have to go hear those, the problem is that it is a 10 hr round trip to the nearest dane dealer. I hope they are worth the trip. I am mostly interested in the 1.3 SE. Have you heard that model.

I too am still interested in the new Polks, but will need to find a decent place for a demo.

joe
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    You listened to an interesting collection of speakers. The Paradigm Studio 100 doesn't belong in the company of the B&W or ML. The N805 is a great bookshelf, but it is bettered by the Revel M20 at the same price. The ML Aeon is just a so-so speaker for $3k; it does some things well (detail), other things acceptably (soundstaging), and other things poorly (bass). The real downer is it just seems like a weak speaker; it doesn't convey power and energy. The ML Ascent ($4200) is so much better than the Aeon it's not even funny. If you're going to look at ML, don't look at anything less than the Ascent.

My experience with Dynaudio (thanks to Mantis) has been very good. The Contour 1.3SE is an excellent speaker. However, the regular 1.3 is more in my price range. On my brief demo of the 1.3SE, I think the Revel M20 can probably hang with it (and for a lot less money). I definitely recommend you check out Dynaudio. Also, in case you haven't noticed, I'm a huge fan of the Revel M20. I highly recommend you check these out. They are killer.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    joe6pak,
    I will say it again ...thats a cool name.
    Dynaudio is one of my very favorite speaker companies in the world.We carry them all.I have demo'd the entire line.With many different kinds of amps and receivers.Heres the interesting thing...they sound good with everyhting we carry(maybe not Integra but thats about it),They are a truely a flexable speakers, they do everything great.No drop off in this line.
    If your into speakers you will have a hard time kicking these speakers.No Polk at any level can hang with them.The little I heard of the LSI line....no contest.
    we also carry Martin Logans and B&W...I like both lines ,I don't care for the Aeon's.I think there something missing in that speaker.For 3 grand I can smoke them 5 times over with Dynaudio.And even under 3 grand way under 3 grand in Dynaudio, they get smoked.
    If you have a dealer, go listen...then post back...they are fun speakers to listen to.
    I JUST LOVE EM.
    Dan
  • joe6pak
    edited May 2002
    Mantis & Aaron.

Thanks for your comments and advice. I mostly agree with your observations about the three speakers I demoed. The dealer had only been selling the M/ls for a week and the Aeon was all he had in the M/L line. He suggested I come back to hear the Ascent and Odyssey. I will someday. While those three speakers I heard sounded O.K. none really reached out and grabed me with that buy it now feeling. Of course for that kind of money, buying after a few hrs demo is really taking a chance.

Aaron. I will try to hear the Revel M20 sometime. The 1.3 SE is probably as much as I will want to spend, but I have not completly ruled out the the 3.3s or something in their price range.

Mantis. How about it, will the Revel hang with the Dynaudio? What Danes are you planning to use if you do go that way? Did you rule out the M & Ks? Thanks again for the approval of my name. Yes I will post my observations about these speakers when I get to hear them. However I don't know when I will be getting the chance as that is going to involve a two day trip at the minimum.

One other thing. Something that interested me in the first Dynaudios I read about was the front ports on the Audience 82s I have placement problems concerning the ability to move very far from the wall behind the speakers. I can manage 1.5 maybe 2 ft max out from wall. I know that the Contours come with port plugs, but do those negate the sound quality? I will be buying the approperate center and surround for a 5.1 system. I have a Denon 3802, but will be moving to seperates next.

joe
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Joe,
    I'm not ruling out any speaker at this time.Before I buy my next system, I will deom everything in sight.M&K is high on my list.I want to hear them with a B&K avr507 when it comes out.That is looking like the receivver I will be using next.I also have an eye on the Pioneer Elite vsx49tx.I have been playing with it for a while.
    Revel when I heard them sounded really good.Without having Dynaudio in the same room, hard to tell what one sounds better to me.
    The Audience 82's with the port in the front is ideal for close wall placement,they also come with port plugs,all Dynaudio's do.It tighten's up the midrange and falls off the bass responce alittle.Sometimes this is a very good thing.Some rooms have alot of overtones, this helps control them.
    I personally like the Aduience 82's,that system is high on my list.
    The denon avr3802 will play Dynaudio's but I don't think that would be a good match.I plan on bringing home a pair of used Audience 8's we have, I wanted to hear Denon and dynaudio together.The avr5803 is another receiver I am considering.
    Dan
  • joe6pak
    edited May 2002
    Mantis.

Thanks for the info. That is what I figured the port plugs would do. A little loss of bass should not matter as a good sub set up properly should compensate for that. Gonna have a sub anyway.

Now about that 3802. I am planning to get separates, but was wondering what your reasons for thinking it might not match with the Dynaudios. I would guess that it is a combination of you just feeling these speakers need a higher quality with more power type of amplification. I am a big believer in the extra power concept. You don't need to use it all but it is nice to have it. You don't have to strain anything to get high performance. Sort of why I like big block American V-8s.

I will be interested to hear about your home demo of the Dane 8s, if you get the chance to do that.

joe
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    The Denon avr3801 I feel is slightly out classed with the Dynaudio audience series.Not to mention they are 4 ohm load speakers.The Denon can play four ohms but not as safe as 6ohm or 8 ohm.The Denon is a good match however for all Polk series speakers.They are easy to drive and match perfectly.
    Yes the Dynaudio demand a better amp.Rotel rsx1065 runs them well.Pioneer Elite vsx49tx,B&K avr307 all sound terrific running the audience series.The Rote/B&K seperates would be about maxed out for that series, then I would move to Contour with better amps than that.Contour really show off flaws in your system, the audience does as well.
    Better speakers demand better amps/wire.I have a Matching theory,I really works for me.
    If you run the avr3802 with Dynaudio,I think you will hear all the flaws in that receiver, its a good one but again alittle out classed by the Dynaudio'.I'm bringing home the audience8's this week sometime I want to prove my theory about the Denon, not just talk about it.
    Dan
  • joe6pak
    edited May 2002
    Mantis.

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought you were getting at concerning the 3802. I was a little bit surprised to learn that you think the 1.3SEs are in need of better stuff than B&K and Rotel, but I do know when you are stepping up in speakers you need to move up in other areas as well.

So, you are gonna demo some dayne 8s in home this weekend. You cityboys really have it made when it comes to stuff like that. There are advantages to being a hillbilly, but not when it comes to high end sound demos. I guess Saturday night I could make the journey to town and compare the new and up to date clock radios at Wal-Mart. Yes I think I will do that. I will post my observations over at whocares?.com.

joe
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Don't be surpised in the 1.3se's, they are one of if not the best sounding bookshelf speaker ever made.They can take out most floor standing speakers.Thats not ****, I have demoed them up against the B&W n804's, they are a fantastic sounding speaker, but no match for the 1.3se's.
    They demand better amp unfortunally.They shine with Krell and Mark levinston.Rotel and B&K can play them well, but as good as Krell and Mark levinston.
    when you step up in speakers everything else has to follow to get the max out of them. this holds true if you get a better amp.Just try not to out class any part of your system.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i heard that the new yamaha rx-z1 receiver will go down to 2ohms.wend a speaker gose to a lower ohm rating it will have a higher headroom.but you got to have a amp that gose to a lower ohm, for control and no cliping.
    and i read somewhere that you could get it at a nonaotherized dealer for $1999 yamaha rx-z1, they list for $2899

this receiver would work real good with the polk lsi series
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    joe6pak,
    I will say it again ...thats a cool name.
    Dynaudio is one of my very favorite speaker companies in the world.We carry them all.I have demo'd the entire line.With many different kinds of amps and receivers.Heres the interesting thing...they sound good with everyhting we carry(maybe not Integra but thats about it),They are a truely a flexable speakers, they do everything great.No drop off in this line.
    If your into speakers you will have a hard time kicking these speakers.No Polk at any level can hang with them.The little I heard of the LSI line....no contest.
    we also carry Martin Logans and B&W...I like both lines ,I don't care for the Aeon's.I think there something missing in that speaker.For 3 grand I can smoke them 5 times over with Dynaudio.And even under 3 grand way under 3 grand in Dynaudio, they get smoked.
    If you have a dealer, go listen...then post back...they are fun speakers to listen to.
    I JUST LOVE EM.

Mantis:
    Hi, enjoyed this post but have one question. You mentioned Integra not being satisfactory. What has your experience been with them. I have an Integra 7.1 and am in the process of looking to upgrade my current HT speakers with Polk LSi's. Have also considered Energy speakers. Your post caught my attention. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Rickfaldo,
    I have alot of experience with Integra.Your receiver is a good one.Theres nothing wrong with it.I personally don't like the way they sound.I think they are extremely bright,tingy and don't have good dynamic range.I wouldn't run the LSI series off of it.It can however hold a 4 ohm load.I think if your going into a speaker line like the lsi series, you might want to check out the 8.2 or the 9.1.Thats if you love your Integra.The 8.2 is the bang for the buck receiver.You get the chad with it and multiroom powered with 5.1 running in the main zone.It's only 800.00 bucks more then your's and sounds better.The 9.1 sounds like the 8.2.It is going threw a THX ULTRA2 upgrade right now, will be avalible real soon if not now.
    I can tell you anything you need to know about your receiver or any other in the Integra family.
    If you don't care for Integra and want to get into better speakers I can recomend a few really great receivers on the market.
    Dan
  • rickfaldo
    edited June 2002
    Mantis:
    Thanks for your help, only wish I would have been in contact with you before I bought my Integra, last year! I am not HT educated enough to make the right choices without expert input and I appreciate yours. I bought the Integra after is was highly recommended by a (knowledgable?) friend. Was told the Integra was an upgrade to the Onkyo models, apparently decent receivers. Use it for music and HT. At the time, it was the next best receiver (9.1) Integra had to offer. If possible, I would like to keep using it as my budget does not cover starting completely over. My current system consists of Integra 7.1 receiver, Tannoy Saturn S6C center, JBL PB10 sub, older Polk 8T fronts, and Visonik Davids for the rears (small but that's what I had laying around). Compared to what I had before, (Rotel RX-875), it sounds pretty good. After buying the Integra, I thought I would have a good base to start a decent HT system, adding better speakers later, which is now hopefully. Without mortgaging the farm, I had Polk and Energy in mind. The Polks, hopefully to match my older 8T's for awhile, and the Energy because I have read good things about them and can get a pretty reasonable deal on them (I live in Canada). Having said that, I am open to any suggestions. Why don't you think the LSi's will "work" with my Integra? What would be better (speakers) , similar price? Are any of my current speakers worth keeping? Wow, I'm depressed!
    Sorry to be so wordy, but so many questions and so little time.
    Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.
    Rick
    p.s. can I add an amp to my current system to help?
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Yes the source that told you that Integra is a step up from Onkyo
    is true, they put better parts inside and are more custom friendly.
    You could try the LSI line with your Integra but I thing a better receiver would sound better,just a professional opnion.
    The Rti now series would be a better choice with that receiver.If you can't afford to upgrade it then look into the rti line.Many good speakers there to choose from with a budget in mind.I would give a listen.
    The speakers you own now will work to get you started but to do theater correctly, you should have at least the same brand of speaker all the way around.Polk timbre matches there lines.They all kinda go together well.
    How did you like your rx875??We traded the rotel rx975 last week and it's sounds great.I really have much respect for Rotel.I haven't heard a bad peice yeat from them.I really dig the rsx1065.It's one of my favorite home theater receivers.This might be what you want to look at if you have your heart set on the LSI line.It got great amps built inside.4 ohm load won't even flince this baby.It's 2 thousand american dollars.Worth every cent and then some.
    Good luck with your upgrades!!!
    Dan
  • rickfaldo
    edited June 2002
    Mantis:
    Thanks alot for your input. I appreciate your help and candor. I guess the idea of matching speakers to my Integra is sound advice. But, I would be limiting the future of my HT by using RTi's, would I not? Do you think I could help my cause by adding an extra amp or pre-amp to gain extra power?
    You seem to like Dynadio speakers. There isn't a dealer west of Quebec in Canada, ugh. Going back to Polk, would the newer f/x line of speakers meet my needs in your opinion?
    I also mentioned Energy speakers, which are made in Canada. Any thoughts on that line.
    Again, thanks for your time and help.
    Cheers,
    Rick
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    There's nothing wrong with the rti series From Polk.They make good sound speakers.They still offer the RT5000p package.Thats a killer home theater speaker package.
    I'm not sure what you mean by limiting your future home theater with the rti line,unless you feel they aren't your caliber of speakers.
    Adding a multichannel amp to your current system will cost you almost as much as buying a better receiver.This is where big decisions need to be made to weighout what your next course of upgrade will be.If you plan on using seperates and replacing your receiver with a pre amp processor, then go for it.I wouldn't add amps to a receiver to use it as a preamp.You receiver is still current enough that you could still pull good money for it.
    Energy are a good speaker company, very comparible to Polk.Personal taste comes into play when buying speaker's.
    It's just a crying shame you don't have a Dynaudio dealer near you.As you read on my other posts I love the **** out of them.They are 98% the next speaker package that I'm gonna buy.
    As far as If I were you,I would consider a speaker package first,find what you really like and feel will last you a long time.If you really like the LSI line and think its the way to go,your Integra will run them for know.After you get the LSI line(if thats the way your going)then start planning on a better receiver or seperates.
    I will give you a list of receiver's thatwould be able to carry the load of the lsi line.
    1)B&K avr307
    2)Pioneer Elite vsx49tx
    3)Pioneer Elite vsx47tx
    4)Rotel rsx1065
    5)Yamaha rxv1
    6)Yamaha rxz1
    7)McIntosh mht or nht100
    8)Denon avr5800
    9)Denon avr5803
    Basically what I'm getting at with this list is your going to need to get into a flagship type receiver to run the new LSI speaker's to make them sound there best without putting strain on the lower end receiver's out there.
    If you deside to go seperates, the world of seperates is at your desposal.
    Dan
  • rickfaldo
    edited June 2002
    Mantis:
    Thanks again for your help. I now see where you are coming from. Should have realized it after reading your posts regarding high end HT. My level of HT is not even close to yours. After checking out the Elite series, came to the conclusion, although they are excellent choices, they are way out of my price range. $5,000 U.S. dollars in more than my whole system cost. My Integra 7.1 cost me $1,500 Cdn., which I thought was a decent level for a HT receiver. It appears as though HT equipment is a very personal thing, ask for 20 opinions, and you get 20 different and mostly opposing opinions. I respect your knowledge and experience, but my requirements are obviously modest. Just trying to get the best for the buck without starting over and spending more than many countries GNP.
    Thanks again for you input and really appreciate it.
    Rick
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    hi rick, wecome to the forum.

if i was in your shoes, i would get a good 5 channel amp to run your center, mains, and surounds. and use your integra receiver for the rear centers. that would give you better sound right off the bat, change your speakers as you go along, you can always sell a good 5 channel amp if you dont like. but this will give you a good start. plus you can sell the integra and get a 7 channel pre pro to and to the 5 channel amp. and get a 2 channel to add to the system. to make 7.1.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • rickfaldo
    edited June 2002
    Joe, thanks for the advice. Here I thought when I started these posts, I was looking for some nice new speakers to go along with my new cool receiver only to find out my tail is wagging it's dog. Don't know if I am prepared to start on the power right away, still trying to get my head around not having the right receiver. Speakers were going to be my next purchase but must admit I am definately hesitating now. What I have now sounds pretty good to my damaged hearing-just thought some better speakers would help.
    Great advice, Joe, thanks.
    Rick
    p.s. since I don't even have my rear center speaker hooked up, I really don't care about 7.1 at this stage. Seems there aren't many DVD's formatted for 7.1 anyway