Component Video input

VinnyP61
VinnyP61 Posts: 28
edited May 2002 in Electronics
was wondering how to hook these up and is the pic better then S video ? Als what type of cables do i use thanks
Post edited by VinnyP61 on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited May 2002
    Hi:

First your DVD and TV have to have component video out DVD, and in TV. Then you need to buy a component video cable set, about $70 or $80.00. Monster makes a good set of cables.

Yes, component is superior to s video.

Gary
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited May 2002
    If you are hooking up a progressive scan DVD then component it your best choice.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    By the way,
    componet is the ONLY way to send a progressive scan Image to the monitor.
    Componet is the superior cable in video except true RGB.
    Really if your monitor is smaller than 36 inch you don't get the full benefits with componet video.S video is good under 36 and composite is also good under 36.There is a difference between s and composite.Its hard to see but with a trained eye,you can see the difference in edge detail and color correctness.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    So basically Vinny, if you don't have a trained eye, don't sweat it, use either one.

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Russ,
    do you know what a trained eye is?????no???I will tell you......Knowing what to look for in the images,seeing the detail of the edges,seeing the color as natural or bleeding.......ever hear of a company called ISF????

Ever think of posting nice things to say or do you enjoy all the negitive attention you bring to yourself?

Whatever.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • sgtgto
    edited May 2002
    Hi Russ and Mantis:

Composit video uses one connecton for color blending and brightness. S video carries separate brightness and color portions whereas component connections take the concept one step farther by splitting the color signal into two parts and still one part brightness for greater accuracy and less color bleeding. Hence the need for three connections. Any tv will get a better picture with component setup.

If that were not true why have component connections on tvs and DVD players. Also the enhancement is not limited to tv size.

Use the component connections Vinny.

Gary
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    Component Colors Pretty, S-video Bad.
    Progressive Smooth, Interlaced Bad.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    I guess I don't know what a trained eye is, but I'm sure you will tell me. Hopefully I can train my eyes, and watch for that edge detail, instead of the movie itself. ;)

Thanks for the nfo Gary.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • sgtgto
    edited May 2002
    Hi Russ:

Thanks, just trying to be helpful.

Gary
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    I noticed a difference right off on my XBR250 32" when I hooked up component video from the s-video . I see it in edge details as well as watching the the credits rolls . A black and white screen . Using a progressive scan you will see the scan lines disapear .
    Even with my untrained eye balls I can see a difference in detail.The average Bubba !
  • raycomics
    raycomics Posts: 78
    edited May 2002
    Is the way to go. I have a 36" Sony Wega, Non HDTV, and a Sony Non-Progressive Scan DVD Player, and I could tell an great improvement over S-Video, and Composite Video. Go for it!

ps: B4 you go spending $100 for a Component Video Cable from MonsterCable (like I did) check out Frank Dai's Product at http://signalcable.com/video_cables.html
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    yeah.....you can also pick up a standard AR cable for 40 bones or so. Well worth it regardless of the size of your TV.

Troy (of the Big Dumb Dions)
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut