dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Please refer to this thread before posting:

CABLE DEMO PROGRAM - GUIDELINES

DEMO # 2 :

Audioquest Diamondback - 2M

The Cable-

DESIGN BASICS: Diamondback is Triple-Balanced. This means there are three identical insulated conductors, in addition to a separate conductor underneath the 100% coverage foil shield. When used with XLR connectors and balanced electronics, the two positive signals (inverting and non-inverting) and the negative, all get the same low-distortion conducting path. The shield is attached to chassis ground through the case of the XLR, providing extremely effective shielding without contaminating the quality of the negative conducting path. When Diamondback is fitted with RCA plugs, two conductors are used together for the much higher potential across the negative connection, providing a substantial performance advantage. The shield is only attached at one end, providing total shield coverage without compromising the negative conducting path.

CONDUCTORS: All of Diamondback’s conductors are solid. Electrical and magnetic interaction between strands in a conventional cable is the greatest source of distortion, often causing a somewhat dirty harsh sound. Solid conductors are fundamental toward achieving Diamondback’s very clean sound.

METAL: PSC (Perfect Surface Copper) has an astonishingly smooth and pure surface. Proprietary metal processing technology protects the wire’s surface at every stage of drawing and fabrication. When high-purity low-oxide copper is kept as soft, pure and smooth as possible, it becomes a wonderfully low distortion conductor. For fifteen years AudioQuest has pioneered the use of superior metals; yet even we were surprised by this huge leap in performance. PSC clearly outperforms previous AQ metals that cost over ten times as much.

INSULATION: Any solid material adjacent to a conductor is actually part of an imperfect circuit. Wire insulation, circuit board materials all absorb energy (loss). Some of this energy is stored and then released as distortion. Diamondback uses air filled FPE (Foam Polyethylene) insulation on both conductors because air absorbs next to no energy, and Polyethylene is low-loss and has a benign distortion profile. Thanks to all the air in FPE, it causes much less of the out-of-focus effect common to other materials.

TERMINATIONS: Diamondback’s plugs are Resistance Welded to the cable in a process which sends 8,000 amperes of current through the junction of conductor and plug for 33 millionths of a second. The heat resulting from the resistance of the metals locally liquefies the conductor and the plug, creating a single material alloy where the two meet. An ideal connection that puts any solder to shame.

Diamondback’s silver plated RCA plugs use a patented design that eliminates the distortion caused by the extra contact inside most plugs. Because the ground shells are stamped instead of machined, the metal can be chosen for low distortion instead of for its machinability.

A combination of these major ingredients, and many more subtle details add up to explain how Diamondback can sound so clean, clear and dynamic.

www.audioquest.com
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Well, I guess I am the first to demo these cables and this will also be my first demo/review write up for anything.

Gear used:
    Rig #1
    Sansui AU-999 integrated
    AMC CD8b CD player
    Polk Audio Monitor 10B speakers
    12" Realistic full range speakers
    Rig #2
    JVC 9010VBK receiver
    NEC 601 CD (computer CD-rom as transport)
    AA DAC In the Box (DAC w/ Monster video cable for coax digital)
    Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" speakers

Cables compared:
    DIY
    Monster AV (model forgotten)
    Signal Cable Analog 2 - w/Scosche connectors

Primer:
    This is the most expensive cable I've ever had on my system.
    I tried to limit the demo to receiver or integrated due to the possibility of other cable coloring, accentuating, or limiting.
    The CD transport/DAC in the 2nd rig was for logistic (WAF) concerns.
    I listen to the music, but can't hear worth a damn.

Build quality:
    This is a very sturdy cable that'll give you the sense of a good contact without worrying about pulling off your RCA sleeves. It's also much more flexible than most. The one thing I would have liked is to have better L/R and direction coding. This probably would never be an issue for normal use, but for a demo it kinda sucked.

What matters (ie sound):
    When I first listened to this cable it was on the Sansui integrated and 10B combo. I couldn't really notice any difference between these and my usuals. Not knowing whether this system or my usual (DIY) ICs were limiting the potential, I moved it down to the big rig.

Orchestral / massed strings: To me this is a great demo for anything and especially cables. The AQ beat out the Monster by no small margin, followed closesly by the SC. The amount of detail portrayed was apparent.

Vocals: This is where the AQ left the Monster in the dust, but the SC "might" win this close race. Either of the two had a degree of realism to them that the MC couldn't reproduce.

Bass: Ooomph has to go to the MC. While everything else goes to the AQ. The AQ defintely had better detail and the SC detail was probably about the same.

In summary:
    Thumbs up!
    Would I buy them? No, I'm cheap.
    Would I recommend them? Absolutey! But only if I thought that person's system could fully appreciate and not limit them.

Funkaliciously yours,
    Mark
    Make it Funky! :)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Isn't the treble just fantastic with the AQ? They have the most grainless treble I've heard in a cable--I don't think I could ever use anything else...the midrange is addictive.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Great review, Gidrah. I have the newer version with the curvy RCA connectors. I agree with you and Steve about the sound quality. The detail and treble is awesome. The Diamondback really woke up my NAD pre. I don't think they'd do a good job on a bright system though. The AQ is a little on the bright side but not harsh at all.

Maurice
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Steve,
    Just saw your signature. How does the Copperhead compare to the Diamondback? I'm thinking about buying a pair to use between the DAC and pre. If I do that, I'll use the Diamondback between the pre and amp.

Thanks

Maurice
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The Diamondback has a 4 wire configuration, and I believe the DB uses AQ's High-temp welding to terminate, where the Copperhead is silver-soldered, and a 2 wire design. Both use the same copper wire though.

Edited: Correction in description.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Damn edit wouldn't let me add a picture.

Here is a picture of the Audioquest Diamondback - Cutaway :
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Here is a picture of the actual demo AQDB :
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2004
    Options
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Audioquest Diamondback - 2M

My demo system was a Denon DRA-685 Stereo Receiver @ 100wpc, a Cambridge Audio D500SE CDP and Polk RT25i bookshelf speakers. No subwoofer. I used 12 ga. Megacable speaker wire from Radio Shack.

Demo material was Steely Dan's latest CD Everything Must Go. It is a nice CD that is very well recorded with good variety of music. I added a couple of CDs to the mix that I am very familiar with to add some additional dimension to the test. Caedmon’s Call In The Company of Angels because it has a lot of acoustic guitar and Sarah McLachlan Fumbling Towards Ecstasy primarily for a “hidden” vocal and piano acoustic version of “Possession”.

***DISCLAIMER*** I currently own several pair of AudioQuest Cables (lesser grade than the Diamondbacks) and speaker wires, so as much as I might try to avoid it for this demo, I have a positive bias toward this company.

First impression of build quality - These cables are very similar to several pair I already own. My HT setup has 5 sets of AQ G-Strings/G-Snakes connecting my CD/SACD player and other components to the AVR. In my 2 channel system I have 2 sets of Sidewinders. The cable is not too stiff as it has seen some use. The RCA connectors are very good quality but are an earlier design than what is available currently (straight vs and hourglass shape). The connectors fit very well. The cable itself was a little thicker than the AQ cables I currently use.

In another tread HERE I compared the Diamondbacks to the AQ cables I currently own. The differences are subtle, but the Diamondbacks definitely offer better performance over the G-Snakes and Sidewinders (the Copperheads are a step in between the SWs and DBs). The Diamondbacks brought out a more detailed and defined sound from the CDs. The resonance on a piano note was clearer. The vibration and the plucking of an acoustic guitar string was more defined. The midrange was very similar but the upper range is where this cable stood out. The separation and depth of the music was a some better than the other cables. Bass seemed to be tighter and a little more extended. Sibilance was not an issue...you heard the sssssss in passages...but no more than you would notice in the natural voice. The sound from this cable was definintely pleasing. It was detailed and precise without any harshness. I don't think it would become fatiquing. This may be attributed to the Denon, which has a laid back SQ and typically goes well with the Tri-lams tweeters on the RTxxI speakers (which can be considered a little harsh at times). These cables seem to mate very well with this setup.

I went into this demo thinking that the stepup in the product line of AudioQuest Cables in a modest system would offer little if any improvement over the Sidewinders. While the improvements are subtle...they ARE there. They impressed me enough to check out the cost with my local dealer to see what a couple of pairs would set me back (.5M = $75/pr. and 1M = $100/pr. - and he might deal a little). I'm not sure if spending more than the cost of the Diamondbacks would yield even better results...but at this cost....in this system...there is a case for this upgrade. I don't know yet if I will do it...but I'm considering it.

Oh...and BTW...I like the Diamondbacks quite a bit! :D

Thank you doro for making this possible (if I buy some more cables - AudioQuest and Statement Audio Video thank you too!).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited April 2004
    Options
    As and additonal note to the Diamondback demo...AudioQuest is a company that ranks right up there with Polk in regards to customer service. Recently, I started having a serious feedback problem when using one of my sets of Sidewinders. At first it was when the cable was moved, then constant to the point they had to be removed. The local dealer said to just bring them in and he would look at them. He felt that they had come lose at the grounding point. He sent them to AudioQuest...got them back in less than 3 weeks...100% fixed...at no charge to me...no shipping...no handling...nothing. And I did not buy this set at his store (although I've bought several there). No questions asked...he didn't even need a reciept. That is customer service that will keep me as a customer both to the local shop and to AudioQuest. This is service you might expect from smaller companies like Signal Cable, but it is rare to find large companies like Polk and AudioQuest with this level of committment to customer service and standing behind their products!

I don't think this affected my review, but it does make me a fan of the company.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Shack - Thank you for your participation. I agree with your findings, they are a pretty revealing IC, no doubt. I found them to be a little sharp, and wasn't quite comfortable with them personally, but that's just how it goes.

Bill Low is an advocate of customer service, always has been, and it doesn't suprise me at all that AQ took this stance. AQ is as much a mainstay as Monster Cable, which is also pretty supportive of the market....so they better pay attention to the consumer IMO.

Glad you had fun, that's why the program is in place.

Disclaimer : You must provide shipping to the next guy, big deal.
  • shack
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    [BSIGN UP POLKIES!!!! IT'S ALMOST FREE!!!! :D

Disclaimer : You must provide shipping to the next guy, big deal. [/B]
    Agreed. It cost me $11.00 to send two sets of cables on to two different people. Three days of demos with cables I might never hear otherwise. Money and time well spent IMO. I'm already signed up for one of the power cables and think I will sign up for the Signal Cable demo.

Like Doro said: SIGN UP - GIVE THEM A LISTEN!

If nothing else...the next time you are talking with your buddies...you can say I demoed this cable and that power cord in my system...blah blah blah...and they will think you are a real audiophile.

• steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I have a new set of Diamondbacks replacing some Copperheads, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the differences between these two.

The Diamondback gives just touch more tonal balance, with vocals (especially female) sounding as though they're set back in the speaker about 4" versus the Copperhead vocal presentation. Good or a bad thing? I don't know, I know I like the effect, probably due to my choice in speaker. Midrange seems a little more sorted out and flatter, bass is well controlled.

I think with this cable you're seeing the ending point of the "rule of diminishing returns." I couldn't see spending anymore money than what you pay for the Diamondbacks---the differences are so subtle from the cheaper Copperhead--as to be almost a wash.

My recommendation is this: If you have a system that is too laid back, go with the Copperhead. If your system is a little too forward in the midrange/treble, go with the Diamondback. I think between these two you just have a difference of balance, the Diamondback being the slightly more nuetral of the two. Both have excellent grain-free treble--and bass reproduction is so close, it's a coin toss.

Addendum: The improvement I noticed with female vocals verified itself to me with other music as a reduction in midrange "hootiness" for lack of a better word. Specifically Incubus "Are you in?" where the vocals harmonize; the Copperheads had a bit of a hooty sound or over-emphasis of the vocals being pushed out at you. The Diamondbacks clean this up...VERY nice surprise.

Diamondback Pros: Excellent tonal balance in the midrange/treble; Controlled, deep bass; Grainless treble. Excellent build quality.

Diamondback Cons: Copperheads get you 95% of the DB's performance, for alot less money.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I think with this cable you're seeing the ending point of the "rule of diminishing returns.

You wish! :rolleyes:
    I 've already compared the Corals against my Opals and they didn't measure up and the Corals are above the Diamonbacks. I'm getting the Diamondbacks for a demo soon so I'll let you know how I think they compare.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    It's called an opinion. Note the sentence starts "I think...". You really should review something yourself before you attempt to slam someone elses opinion...
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I'm not sure where you got the idea I was slamming you buddy. You admitted the Diamondbacks were a little better than the Copperheads and then make the statement that you think this is probably the end of the point of improvements. My 'you wish' statement is based on my experiences swapping cables in and out of my system for years and was meant to indicate that you're probably in for a surprise later should you decide to pursue your experimentation.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Sorry for misinterpretation.

The point I was making was that as I progressed from cheapie IC to Sidewinder, then to Copperhead, and finally to Diamondback; the differences were really diminishing rapidly. There was a large improvement from basic IC to Sidewinder, then almost no improvement to Copperhead, and so on. The gap narrowed fast. Being that cables should be a neutral item, I can't see things getting any more neutral than Diamondback--and I certainly wouldn't pay anymore than Diamondbacks price tag for any further "neutrality" if there is such a thing.

Short story long, the Diamondbacks synergize perfectly with my system/current speakers...
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Short story long, the Diamondbacks synergize perfectly with my system/current speakers...

That's where I feel I am too now and I keep wondering why I keep looking. I guess it's just fun to shop.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited April 2005
    Options
    i own two pairs of audioquest copperhead and thought they sounded ok until they developed shorts that caused them to hum and i would not recommend them to my worst enemy i also own monster ref 2 ic cables which are good for the money but my favorite ic cables are groneberg quattro reference with wbt connectors that twist and clamp tightly to the rca.s they are very transparent sounding and run$150 for a one meter pair i also run groneberg quattro reference speaker cables with spades in a biwire configuration which are also very smooth and transparent sounding
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • shack
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by W WALDECKER
    i own two pairs of audioquest copperhead and thought they sounded ok until they developed shorts that caused them to hum and i would not recommend them to my worst enemy
    I had a pair of 3 year old + Sidewinders that developed the same issue. It seems there was a grounding issue. I dropped them off at a shop that did not even sell them to me. He sent them to AudioQuest and within 3 weeks I had them back as good as new with $0.00 cost to me. I would recommend these to my grandmother.

And Waldo....punctuation can be your friend.....

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited April 2005
    Options
    friends and audioquest cables are highly overated!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I'm not a fan of AQ, and gave up on them ages ago....but mileage may vary, and there are alot of satisfied customers. It is one of the largest cable manufacturers...under of course the Monster.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Doro-what's your IC cable of choice?
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    MIT for the 2CH....Signal for the HT.
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    OK....I just received the Diamondbacks a few days ago and have had them on in the background, I sat down tonite to listen more critically and have enough info to form an opinion I think. I know I'm not real good at this but here goes.
    My system:
    Musical Fidelity A3 integrated
    NAD C541i CD
    Paradigm Studio Reference 40 speakers
    Olympus Audio Athena speaker cables

For my analysis I chose Grover Washington Jr's Prime Cuts CD which I am very familiar with.

The Diamondbacks are not a bad choice by all means. The build quality is nice. The connectors fit snug but not tight. Good solid and tight bass on all tracks I listened to, very nice midrange and maybe slightly rolled off highs. Female vocals sounded very nice. On track 2, Sacred Kind of Love featuring Phyllis Hyman, I could hear her breaths and her voice was very dreamy as always. However, on track 13, Protect the Dream, the high notes from the tenor sax made me cringe and almost hurt my ears. Now my system is a little on the bright side so I can't blame it all on the cables, and if I hadn't ever heard anything better I think I could be fairly happy with these cables, however, after replacing these with my Kimber PBJ's and then the Audioquest Opals I could immediately notice the difference. That same track 13 was much smoother and certainly didn't hurt the ears. The other difference is the clarity or sense of air in between the different instruments and vocals. I don't know if this is a result of less background noise or what, but the notes just seem to hang in the air and sound so much more clear and sweeter with the Opals and PBJ's. I have noticed this same difference when comparing other cables I have owned. Something to mention however is that these Diamondbacks are 2m in length compared to .5m for the Opals and 1m for the PBJ's. I don't know what effect this can have but I would think the shorter the cable the better. On a side note the build quality on the Opals is maybe a tad nicer and the connector fit is about equal, which is very good. The PBJ's connectors are too tight in my opinion.
    But in conclusion I would say that these would be a fine cable for a system on the dark side or for someone who is upgrading from a lesser cable, but I think the differences are obvious as you move up, especially in smoothness and the sensation of airiness, which I think is a result of greater clarity which may be a result of a quieter background? I'm not smart enough to explain it but I can hear it anyway.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You don't have to be smart to enjoy a change in your system....sounds like you had fun, and that's all that matters.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I got the cables today and plan on listening to them tonight. I have a few inerconnects to test them against. I'm excited as I never had the pleasure of demoing the Diamond backs. I heard so many good things about Audioquest...
    On a side not I saw there silver component video cable at the show this weekend in New York... Man I was all 2 juiced to own them.. I might just have to order a pair or 3. See how they do.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I heard so many good things about Audioquest...
    Dan

me too after every upgrade. IMHO the Jaguars are the bomb;)

I remain fascinated with the battery:D

AQ is a buy in my opinion.

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited May 2005
    Options
    HBombToo,
    Yeah the Battery thing is a bit freaky but makes sense when you read about it. They offer cables of the same grade with and without the battery. I would like to demo both cables and here it.
    There speaker wire is really nice as well. I'm all so tempted to try it.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.