Audioquest Diamondback - Review/ Demo

2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,161
    edited May 2005
    Ok well I finished my demo today with suprising results....

I used the Kimber PPJ's, Kimber Heros and the Audioquest Diamondbacks for the cd player to amp use. If I had more pairs of the Diamondbacks, I would have done a complete cd-preamp-amp total wire shootout. That would have been way fun but with one pair I had to make it fair.

The built quality of the Diamondbacks are nice. I like the connectors and they bend really nice. Connection was nice and firm but not overly tight.

Sound quality is another story here. I ran them first so I could really get a good idea on how thery perform. I know the PPJ's and Heros very well as they are whats in my system. The DB's are smooth and clear. they tend to shy from the mid range a bit. I can hear it but it's further back in the sound stage more then I'm used 2. I ran John Mayer "My stupid Mouth" and I noticed this right away. Switching to the PPj's, the highs where almost Identical. the bass was very close as well. I had a hard time figuring out which was better. But the Mid range clearly won by the PPj's. I think the PPJ's are a better overall sounding cable. So switching up the music maybe the PPj's are better at this type of music. So in went Steely Dan. 2 against nature....same results, the PPj was a clear winner in the shootout.
    At this point I'm not really willing to demo them against the Hero's. but for the sheer hell of it I did.
    the Diamondbacks had no bussiness taking on the Heros. the heros have a much better warth to them. they have a higher level of detail. the mid range exceeds the PPJ's and leaves the Diamondbacks sounding like a less of a cable then it probably is.
    Norah Jones Proved this with her sweet voice. "Come Away With me" just told me to get the Diamond backs out of my system. The Hero's made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't wanna sound like I hate the Diamondbacks. there not a bad cable. I wish I had some Monster laying around to give them a fair fight. Or some Straightwire. I feel this level of cable could do a better job there. Kimber has a magic thats hard to beat. When I did the vs battle with Transparent vs Kimber, I thought for sure the Transparent would win hands down. I sold all my Transparent....

Sorry guys for this review but I feel reviewing honestly would be better then coloring up the review. these Audioquest cables are not for me or my system. Maybe if My system was wired all with Audioquest maybe they would have worked better.

I give them a 6 out of 10

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,161
    edited May 2005
    I'm finished with the Diamondbacks. Who gets them next???

Someone send me a PM so I can get them mailed out.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.