upconverters and 480i dvd players

BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited May 2002 in Electronics
I have a Toshiba 50X81HD TV very happy the the picture tv has a upconverter takes 480i turns it into 540p . I wonder is it better to run 540i into it or stick with 480i dvd player. I have a elcheapo sony $199 model A year old . I am thinking of up grading ......but I am very happy with the picture . What would be a good unit ??? to go too .

Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i think that dvd players olny come in 480i and 480p
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    There is something to be said about a good quality Progressive scan DVd player.Upconverting it the tv is a good cheap way to start.Most of the time is does look better then it did.But it's being converted in the analog domain.Progressive scan dvd players do it in the digital domain.Results in a much cleaner,sharper image you end up with.
    This is a cool test to take, run a quality Progressive scan dvd player up against a quality interlaced player of the same brand(to close get the same quality of picture).
    I did this test a bunch of times and the Progressive scan dvd playe always won.
    Then at this point you can see what dvd players have the best overall performance.Sony And Pioneer Elite always seem to led the pack,sometimes my a mile.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    I was wondering if I would have trouble running a 480p scan or a 540p DVD player in to my Toshiba 50Hx81 . It upconverts a 480i picture into a 540p . Am I going to run into trouble ??? I went with the Toshiba because the picture was so much better than the Sonys I looked at and also the Mitsubishi . I guess it is that 6 lens that Toshiba uses , only 5 in the other TVs. I do know the DVD player I have now is a low line cheapy . I don't have a dedicated CD player either. I thing the Toshibe Progressives do 540p , I have also heard you guys state they are not winners as far as audio . Any more advice?????:)
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    bbubba, proud owner myself of a 50hx81 !
    The new round of Toshiba televisions will by-pass it's upconverter
    and allow the 480p signal to pass.
    Sure there are those with the trained eye who can see the minor flaws in certain scenes , but personally it's nothing to get worked up over unless you want yourself to be. Love the set!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Its edge detail you need to look at.If you watch a interlaced movie, you will see a saw effect on the edges of things from time to time.With Progressive scan, it makes the edges cleaner and straighter.
    There is a big difference in audio in dvd players...big.I didn't believe that a while ago as it seemed for years dvd players sounded the same,untill I did side by side tests.Man there is so much more to hear in better players.
    Dan
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited May 2002
    Mantis:

I completely agree. I just upgraded from my cheapo toshiba 1st generation dvd player to a Denon 1600. My reason for upgrading was only the fact that I wanted progressive scan and dvd-audio. However, when I played my first DVD in dolby digital, I was blown away by the difference in sound and detail. I really hadn't considered that there would be differences in sound quality as well. Just as in picture quality/clarity, you get what you pay for!

I am very pleased with this unanticipated upgrade.

Brent
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    brent, don't you mean dvd-audio ?

enjoy:)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Better DVD palyer have better sound quality, not just picture quality.
    If you do a side by side demo, you will hear differences from player to player.
    Dan
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2002
    Watch the "carthage" battle scene and keep an eye on the horses legs. Watch it in interlaced and it'll look like a slide show. Its very smooth on progressive scan. :)
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650