receiver best for polk?

Options
MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited May 2002 in Electronics
which receiver do yall think is best for polk speakers? like brand and the stats? what do yall think
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited May 2002
    Options
    it's all user pref
    I'm on my 2nd yamaha receiver with my Polks :)
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd yamaha receiver with my Polks

Yes! Good for you my "brotha" (this is stolen from the nutty gang)! Though very few approve? Yamaha has been my choice for many many years:cool:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Options
    It's all about your personal preferences, I find Yammie's to have a bright sound to them.....I like Denon but there are a lot of good receivers from Marantz, Onkyo, NAD etc. etc.

Go out an demo some different gear and tell us what you like.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I was planning on getting the Yamaha HTR-5550...
    with the stats of 75 x 5, .06, and 20-20....i thought i should get that...but i dont no how it would sound with the rt35i, rt25i, and the cs245i what do you think?

heres the stats on the receiver

32-bit processing for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, Quad-Field Cinema DSP, and Hi Fi DSP
    75 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD
    component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 30MHz bandwidth)
    96kHz/24-bit DACs
    digital inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial
    digital outputs: 1 optical
    2 audio, 4 A/V (including 3 S-video and one 5.1-channel) inputs
    wide range frequency response (10-100,000 Hz)
    Silent Cinema mode
    Virtual Cinema DSP
    multibrand remote
    preamp-level subwoofer output
    no phono input
    1 set of main speaker outputs
    banana plug-compatible speaker outputs
    40 AM/FM presets
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i have a RM7500 w/ PSW450. my old reciever was a yamaha 496a. It did quite well, I just moved up to the rx-v1200 :) The 5550 should do you just fine.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Denon is hard to beat for a good all around A/V receiver. Anything from the 1802 up to the new 5803 ($500 - $4,300 MSRP). I have one and think it is great and I have heard very little negative about them other than the "Authorized Seller and warranty" stuff.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    In all my insane testing's...Denon seems to mate the best.Match the right line to the class of speaker's you own.
    If you want a killer sounding receiver, look at the Rotel rsx1065.@ grand you your receiver sounds allmost as good as seperates.B&K...............no more needed to be said
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I think the 5550 is a good choice. I picked up an open-box 5460 for a song at Sears last month and put it head to head on identical speakers (I have two pair of R10's in my office) with the brand new Onkyo TXSR600 I had bought two weeks before at CC. I liked the Onkyo's 6 channel capability (which I might add the 5560 has) and Prologic II, but the Yamaha sounded much less bright and pumped out a lot more bass. The Onkyo went straight back to CC and I am 300 bucks richer...of course the RT2000is I just bought today took care of that...

Good luck!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited May 2002
    Options
    well i figured i'd get the rvx800 yamaha...because for 115 dollar more...u cant beat it...because it has 100 wats per channel and .04 distortion..lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dreamnevil
    Dreamnevil Posts: 7
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I have the Onkyo Integra DTR-7.2 and love it with my Polks. It drives the RTi70's with ease and the more I play 'em, the better it gets! As far as your choice...It's all personal.
    I heard the Yamaha receivers and the Denon set-up and will say it was a tough choice.

~Just make sure you when ya decide, it's what YOU like...~

~Dreamnevil~
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I had aked the same question a bit earlier. I purchased a B+K AVR307 receiver . I really want to go with seperates. But couldn't swing it $$$$$ wise. But for the money I would have to agree with Mantis the Denon is very nice AVR4802 is what I was concidering. I almost when with it too. The Denon has all the bells and whistles if thats what you want . I chose not to for go some of the newer processing . And went for a richer , smoother , sounding receiver. I will say that listening futige is non existint !!!!
    I find myself tirning it up up up up !!! Then say to myself turn it down to where I can barely hear it and start cranking itt up again to see if I can hear it distort before it gets too loud !!! You need to be happy with what you purchase.Got to love the sound and the rest of the features the unit has. Bass management is something to really consider also. :lol:
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited May 2002
    Options
    My LSi 9s love my Arcam AVR-200.

They also mated well with my Arcam A65plus 2 channel amp.

Arcam is very detailed and vibrant, which mates well with the very detailed LSi series.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Bubba,
    are you just lovin that B&K?????Still to this very day...its the very best sounding receiver on the market.
    Here's a funny super short story.I got Other companies rep's to admit it was the best sounding receiver on the market.They even felt there flagship receiver was no match for the B&K.
    B&K is just simply put................sounds better than the other's on the market.
    I COUNT THE DAYS UNTILL THE BRAND NEW b&k AVR507 HITS THE MARKET,i WILL OWN IT FIRST.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jeberhart
    jeberhart Posts: 69
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Both Denons and HKs seem to dominate among users here. I have a Denon 3801 and I really like it, but I have a friend who swears her HK blows my Denon away. I don't know; I think the treble in the HK is quite nice, but I like the Denon's mids better. Of course, I've muddied the waters by keeping my old Adcom 555 in the mix (yeah, I know, I've said this in about a dozen posts; sorry). Anyway, I think once you get to a certain level, Polks sound good with just about anything.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Yeap Mantis ,

Love the sound . I am breaking it in right now . Its been on for 6 days now at -25 dB . I was surprised to find that it was overly hot and that it sounds even better. I have the Dish network I have had it running in 7 channel stereo with contemporary jazz channel on. I can't get enough of the B+K sound. That's pretty cool that other company reps. are loving the B+K's too so to say!!

:lol:

I got your email . I was thinking about a 2 channel system speakers and amp using the AVR307 as the preamp. Was looking at the B+K reference amps 220 or something or maybe the mono amps ??? But $$$$$$ once again. Used would be ok , but who would get rid of that good of equipment !!????:confused: