Polk L800 Problem..

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 17,036
edited June 23 in Troubleshooting
Well a first for everything I guess, I was sitting here listening to music, had our pug laying on the couch with me, as that is pretty normal when no one else is in the house.
Well she got up to come closer to me, and stepped on the remote, the volume shot up, I grabbed it, turned it down as fast as I could, it got pretty loud.
But now it seems I lost some highs, like the tweeters have a veil over them.
I am super bummed of course. I did shut everything down, unplugged everything, let it sit for about 30 minutes, turned everything back on, and still the same.
I think its safe to say something is wrong.. 😑🙁
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,248
    Options
    Blown tweeters or blown resistors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 23
    Options
    Yep, thinking the same thing, the sad thing about that is, is getting parts.. 🙁

I did pull the drivers on one speaker to look at the board, it is super tight in there, all looked good from what I could see, but that is just a quick visual. I don’t have it in me to tear them down tonight..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,568
    Options
    Dayum. You know what sucks? THIS sucks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,232
    Options
    The tweeters would be my guess. Fortunately Polk has them available. I have 6 in my stash. I am building up to 12 on hand
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Well, I pulled all four tweeters, both inside tweeters are gone..

I have one backup tweeter, thanks to Jesse sometime ago. All I can hope for is I can at least get another from Polk..
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    The tweeters would be my guess. Fortunately Polk has them available. I have 6 in my stash. I am building up to 12 on hand

Well that gives me hope, thanks John. I will be calling tomorrow..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    Options
    Bad dog
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited June 23
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Well that gives me hope, thanks John. I will be calling tomorrow..

That is one thing I do mis about the 1.2TL's... they were 35 years old and bulletproof. I am loving the Mcintosh paring with Legends though.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,763
    Options
    What the freak...
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Man, now I'm thinking I should order a few tweeters, just in case.
    @nooshinjohn - are you planning on having enough for two full replacement sets?

At the moment, I feel like I'd just get other speakers if they went TU, except the L800s were a not insignificant expense, and it'd be a shame to lose them entirely to a damaged tweeter or two if parts go unavailable.

Also have the L200s to consider, but jeez...

This is disappointing. I hear ya @nooshinjohn on the 35yr old relatively bulletproof vintage SDAs.

How about you, @Toolfan66 - are you planning to stock up?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    msg wrote: »

At the moment, I feel like I'd just get other speakers if they went TU, except the L800s were a not insignificant expense, and it'd be a shame to lose them entirely to a damaged tweeter or two if parts go unavailable.

This is disappointing. I hear ya @nooshinjohn on the 35yr old relatively bulletproof vintage SDAs.

These cabinets are so solid, it's as if they were carved from stone. These are heirloom quality and will be here for my sons to enjoy, even if I downsize or go to another brand. Thy sound so good now with the Carver/Mcintosh combo that I cannot imagine there is more left for them to give. The goal is to have enough parts on hand to keep them going for decades.

• Toolfan66
    edited June 24
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Yes, I plan to have at least 4 extra, after this fiasco. If for nothing else, I can fix them quickly, instead of waiting on parts. This is the first time I have ever lost tweeters..
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, knock wood, I've lost any before, either, but I'm concerned that a neighbor's pug gets loose in my house or something.

I don't recall - have you guys seen anyone posting about Legend or Reserve series tweeter failures for no apparent reason?
    I disabled signatures.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 379
    edited June 24
    Options
    I think I saw someone post recently that legend and reserve drivers are identical, right? So as long as they keep selling the reserve, then presumably the drivers should be available?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Have you ordered the parts yet Larry? They should still be under warranty, yes?

• VR3
    Options
    Awesome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Ten years if you registered them online

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,067
    Options
    NICE! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 728
    edited June 25
    Options
    Curious as to what those tweeters would cost if you had bought them?

Bk
    PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    About 90 bucks apiece if I remember correctly

• gyosa
    Options

Very affordable ….

Bk

PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

Very affordable ….

Bk

Until you buy 8 of them. Also, Polk packaging is not what it used to be. There is a 50/50 chance the tweeter arrives with that silver diffuser tip damaged somehow.

• VR3
    Options
    I'm glad they could... Point.... You in the right direction
  • treitz3
    Options
    Damn, John. I appreciate honest feedback but here, Larry is on a high (along with the forum itself) because Polk CS is apparently making a comeback to yesteryear. This is more awesome than Larry getting the tweeters (although, not in his book.....well maybe)

Then ya' gotta go crap on the parade with hypotheticals and the glass half full kinda stuff...

No Kool-Aid for you at the next Romper Room party. Geez...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 26
    Options
    Don’t mean to be a buzzkill, but I do have recent and extensive experience with these things. Just trying to manage expectations… o:)

• treitz3
    Options
    Understood. It is what it is.

Hopefully, things will being going uphill from here on out. We have somewhat all been disappointed as of late. I'll raise my glass to better times! *prays*

Tom
  • gyosa
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

Very affordable ….

Bk

Until you buy 8 of them. Also, Polk packaging is not what it used to be. There is a 50/50 chance the tweeter arrives with that silver diffuser tip damaged somehow.

8 spares seems like overkill !
    😜

I’ve never blown a tweeter …🤞

Bk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    I have blown a few, but not a Legend tweeter yet. I have seven tweeters in current use, and backups for each.