Those darn appliances

Can I give a quick rant?

Am I the only person on the planet who finds that appliances sometimes make things way too complicated compared to the alternative?

Washing machines are great. They still have some hassles but beat the alternative.

But holy crap dishwashers and microwaves annoy me. I swear to God I spend more time maintaining them and/or using them 'the correct way' than I would if I just did it the good old-fashioned way.

Nothing bad to say about the fridge though, that thing keeps the beer cold.

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    My wife has NEVER used a dishwasher in all our 27 years. Therefore, neither have I.

Microwaves work great for a lot of things. Not so well for many others.

Just had to buy a new 'fridge for the garage. Not the best environment, so I guess I understand. It had a good ~20 year run, anyway.

Good to hear from you, Chris!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    edited June 17
    Complicated, too short-lived, and/or unfeasible/uneconomical to repair.
    Other than that, they're great.
    Wasn't it Samsung (or was it LG) who had a 'fridge (or was it a washing machine) that connected itself to the internet at installation and phoned home regularly to... umm... do whatever its creators bade it to do?

ahem.
    LG.
    Washing machine.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/196bb6c/your_washing_machine_could_be_sending_37_gb_of/

1iy3xa2lpgu8.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    You do know what LG was formerly know as right!
    The only "good" thing they own was all the intellectual property rights of ......
    Zenith
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    Lucky Goldstar.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    My wife has NEVER used a dishwasher in all our 27 years. Therefore, neither have I.

Microwaves work great for a lot of things. Not so well for many others.

Just had to buy a new 'fridge for the garage. Not the best environment, so I guess I understand. It had a good ~20 year run, anyway.

Good to hear from you, Chris!

Ironically I find the microwave tends to work poorly for almost everything, or at least, require tons of stirring/mixing/flipping to heat properly. I feel like I spend more time making it heat right than I would just using the oven.

Good to hear from you too, Brian. I like popping in every once in a while to see how things are going on here!
  • pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Lucky Goldstar.

Yep, who built nothing but junk...
    Not much has changed with the exception of maybe their TV's. I've never owned one but a lot of people sure seem to like them.
  • ChrisD06
    edited June 17
    Complicated, too short-lived, and/or unfeasible/uneconomical to repair.
    Other than that, they're great.
    Wasn't it Samsung (or was it LG) who had a 'fridge (or was it a washing machine) that connected itself to the internet at installation and phoned home regularly to... umm... do whatever its creators bade it to do?

ahem.
    LG.
    Washing machine.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/196bb6c/your_washing_machine_could_be_sending_37_gb_of/

1iy3xa2lpgu8.png

Apps phone home all the time. Plus, these apps still lack features you'd EXPECT to be in common place. Pisses me off royally, and they just end up being a pain rather than 'convenient'.

Our LG heatpump at the cottage has an app. It has a ton of awesome features!

Anyways, the app has never worked once 🤣 All they do is spy on you!
  • ChrisD06
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Lucky Goldstar.

Yep, who built nothing but junk...
    Not much has changed with the exception of maybe their TV's. I've never owned one but a lot of people sure seem to like them.

Point to this: Some of their TVs have an interesting problem where they slowly develop a really bad blue hue on the panel. Overall they do make monitors and TVs which are of exceptional quality. Their appliances have supposedly been getting far better too.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    I've never had a single problem with any microwave over the last 40 years.

Refrigerators and gas ovens, that's another story...
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,110
    edited June 17
    Happy proprietor of a sixteen year old pair of washer/dryer laundry appliances from LG. I did have to replace the belt drive on the dryer earlier this year, but at least the part was available and it could be repaired. 🤷‍♂️

Like many things in life, some luck is probably involved. It certainly wasn’t anything I did.

Cars? That’s a different story. If you choose the wrong mechanic, or don’t keep up with your annual maintenance, take it to Jiffy Lube rather than a proper mechanic, or don’t pay attention to unusual behavior during operation, that’s completely on you. 😬
    Alea jacta est!
  • ChrisD06
    Kex wrote: »
    Cars? That’s a different story. If you choose the wrong mechanic, or don’t keep up with your annual maintenance, take it to Jiffy Lube rather than a proper mechanic, or don’t pay attention to unusual behavior during operation, that’s completely on you. 😬

You should talk to my parents.

2018 they bought a BEAUTIFUL car- a 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid.

It was a rebuilt title but it was rebuilt by a proper, damn good mechanic, and the only damage was actually minor front end damage which was easily fixed by him.

Queue never changing the CVT fluid, coolant, or brake fluid. Jiffy Lube oil changes that were always past due (according to the cars maintenance notifier). Brakes that are never inspected until they fail. Sway bar links of terrible quality. A crap, incompetent mechanic. No body work ever when it was needed.

Now we have a car that's worth literally nothing and is in such poor condition, the dealership refused to service it last time without signing something because it was a safety hazard and needed like $10,000+ of work done to it.

Cherry on top? I told them to do the service, they said no, the car got worse, my Mom said it's an awful car. This pattern has repeated since I was born. Buy a nice car, neglect it, it fails, say you'll never buy that brand again, repeat.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    Chris, I have some IC's that have been sitting on my desk for a while now. They are silver IC's......the ones I spoke to you about a while back.

Let's GTG and get them up to you!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Damn. My son is up in Canada now.....I should have sent them up there when he crossed the border yesterday....DOH!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    hxqe6dfx17dr.jpg

Tom
  • ChrisD06
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Chris, I have some IC's that have been sitting on my desk for a while now. They are silver IC's......the ones I spoke to you about a while back.

Let's GTG and get them up to you!

Tom

I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow! It's 2AM here, I stayed up so late only because I was talking to a very special someone 😁

I unfortunately didn't get the SDAs, buddy ended up selling them before I could get to em, but they're still on the bucket list, now more than ever that I'm working so many hours. Those silver ICs will be a constant reminder that I need to keep searching!
  • ChrisD06
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Damn. My son is up in Canada now.....I should have sent them up there when he crossed the border yesterday....DOH!

Tom

If only he was in Nova Scotia, eh!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    I load my dishwasher full and whatever doesn't fully wash goes back in again.... Until it is washed.

This technique hasn't failed me yet
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    VR3 wrote: »
    I load my dishwasher full and whatever doesn't fully wash goes back in again.... Until it is washed.

This technique hasn't failed me yet

Didn't you say you ran it like 2-3 times a day? That explains why so often...I'm 2-3 times per week.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    edited June 18
    We are cooking 2 to 3 meals a day

On average I may wash 1 or 2 dishes from a prior load into the next

The worst thing to get off is dried avacado. You can wash it 165 times but that's not coming off
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    The worst thing to get off is dried avacado. You can wash it 165 times but that's not coming off

TRUTH !!

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    What’s it doin’ to your insides!? 😳😋

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    Lucky Goldstar.

Before that they just labeled it "Goldstar". My late parents bought a Goldstar microwave in 1977, it was still working when we emptied the house in 2012.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    And how exactly do you maintain a microwave Chris? Change the oil?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,985
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

You have to defrag the glass turntable disc frequently.
  • ChrisD06
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

Cleaning it. Like once per day.

I'm fairly certain this is a 'my-household' problem as everyone except me just cranks it to high, lets it heat up the food until it starts popping and sizzling, and then calls it quits. Once I'm out living on my own I don't think I'm going to have this problem.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,077
    If your turntable disc is fragmented, you've got bigger problems than simple maintenance can solve.
  • ChrisD06
    We are cooking 2 to 3 meals a day

On average I may wash 1 or 2 dishes from a prior load into the next

Our dishwasher can absolutely tank through literally anything. Just scrape, load, detergent, run, and everything somehow manages to come out crystal clean.

However, dried avocado like you said, and my personal favorites; burnt rice (practically carbon), and baked-on cheese (also practically carbon), will not come off in our handy dandy little Kenmore.
  • pitdogg2
    I rarely use my microwave at 100%. I do not mind waiting 10-15 at say 20-30%. My food doesn't come out rubbery or splatter like a nuclear holocaust... B)
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    In the midst of early Covid era, spring of 2020, I was browsing a local auctioneer's on-line items. I placed a bid for $2.00 and won a 1983 Sharp Convection Microwave Model R-8310. I picked it up locally at their facility. About an hour of scrubbing it, it looked like brand new, large capacity, stainless interior, all analog. Manual and cookbook included. Not high-powered on the microwave side, but it works very, very well. It's quiet also. Made in Japan.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,627
    Made in Japan is now the good old days. At the time it was like "Oh no, another thing made in bloody Japan".