Traeger Grills

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,178
Hello everyone,
I got a Pro 575 for my birthday and today was the first time using it. I had to build it first then pre cook the. damn thing. That took about an hour or so. Then you have to allow it to cool all the way down then you can use it.

The App is pretty basic, I was hoping it would do more. You still have to manually turn it on but you can turn it off from the app, make temp adustments, get alerts that sort of thing.

I made Chick Breast on it with a Dry Rub, Came out really nice.

Anyone else use a smoker or a Traeger?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    My buddy just bought a 575 and seems to like it. I use a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 which is a whole nother animal. The Kamado Joe rarely gets fired up anymore
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,323
    DAMN!! That is one deelux smoker @stangman67 !!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    I used a Traeger at an AirBnB my wife and I stayed at about a year and half ago. I liked it a lot, but I have a fairly new Weber grill, so no plans to change. Definitely might consider one when/if I ever need something new. Congrats and enjoy.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halen
    halen Posts: 710
    I am in the Camp Chef pellet smoker boat. I don't think any brand of pellet smokers are really set it and forget it. With that said, I do enjoy mine. However some things just can't replace or replicate actual smokers or hardwood lump coal for smoking or grilling. Oh Pandora's box.
  • pitdogg2
    However some things just can't replace or replicate actual smokers or hardwood lump coal for smoking or grilling
    I concur.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,857
    There's almost nothing you can't do with an old school Weber kettle. That is what I have, also. But, for a longer cook, the temperature management aspect can be intense and time-consuming. Plus, no insulation means a shorter season in most climates.

I've been considering a Traeger purchase for this fall, mainly to extend my grilling and smoking season. So, this thread is pretty timely.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,445
    I added a Traeger to my arsenal several years ago. Not the fancy shmancy wifi one, just the “basic” set it and forget it (I have no trouble going out on the deck and checking the temperature and turning it on/off). I still use my charcoal Weber kettle for steaks, burgers and chicken. The Traeger is the cats meow for pulled pork, brisket and salmon. For cold weather, you can skip the $150 insulating jacket and just go to harbor freight and get a welding blanket for $25. I use mine with the welding blanket draped over the top in zero degree weather regularly, and only see about a 20% increase in pellet consumption.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,136
    edited June 11
    Depends if you’re into smoked flavors. I’m not. It’s a bit like too much obvious oak for wines.

They do cook well, though, and work well. You don’t have to go through the smoking phase of cooking if that’s not your thing.

Not sure what the real advantage over a good gas grill is supposed to be, other than smoking, if that’s your thing.

EDIT:

P.S. Happy Birthday dude! 🥳 🥂 🍾 🍰

p7f08375n0zb.gif
    Alea jacta est!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    I love my Traeger. Mine is the non wifi kind but it absolutely is set it and forget it for long smokes. I generally do briskets. Smoke to 160 degrees, finish covered @ 225 degrees to 204 degrees.

I also use it for grilling chicken, burgers and dogs.

A few things I have done to make it more automated.

1. Added a wifi christmas light timer. This allows me to set the smoker to on but have it power on via the wifi timer when Im ready for the smoke to start.
    2. Inkbird 4 probe bluetooth thermometer so I can watch temps from my phone.

If an option for you, try the Costco Kirkland pellet blend. I prefer it to the Traeger brand of pellets in most cases.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mantis
    I'm Smoking Omaha Bacon Wrapped Steaks today. Should be killer.
    Dan
  • stangman67
    I’ve been on a smash burger kick on this little cheap 22” blackstone lately. Awesome little thing

c65panq8pory.jpeg
    evqi5lg0zp15.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • bcwsrt
    dpowell wrote: »

A few things I have done to make it more automated.

1. Added a wifi christmas light timer. This allows me to set the smoker to on but have it power on via the wifi timer when Im ready for the smoke to start.
    2. Inkbird 4 probe bluetooth thermometer so I can watch temps from my phone.

I have one of those, too. Love that thing. The range is awesome!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • halen
    edited June 16
    Once again. Pellet smokers are NOT set it and forget it. Add some back ground to it.

How accurate are your temp probes? Are you using aftermarket or the ones that came with it? It is wildly misleading to say set it and forget it. Unless anything better than " just good enough " is great. BBQ/Smoking is kinda serious here in Texas too.

Ask Marvin.
  • stangman67
    edited June 17
    halen wrote: »
    Once again. Pellet smokers are NOT set it and forget it. Add some back ground to it.

How accurate are your temp probes? Are you using aftermarket or the ones that came with it? It is wildly misleading to say set it and forget it. Unless anything better than " just good enough " is great. BBQ/Smoking is kinda serious here in Texas too.

Ask Marvin.

Thats a pretty generalized statement Halen. SOME pellet grills absolutely are set it and forget it. I reference the below temp graph readout on a very accurate/high end external Fireboard temperature probe and graph on my P&S 1250, temp is always within a few degrees of set temp. Consumer pellet grills when not using "super smoke" or other gimmicky software enhancements to increase smoke output, can also be quite accurate. I wouldn't expect a 600 dollar pellet grill to match the BBQ output of a hand tended offset (or my 2.5K Texas built pellet grill), but that's not the point.

y2k5opapc2m7.jpg

• daddyjt

Ask Marvin.

Well that sucks - and here I thought my pellet grill was great… I guess it’s just “good enough”.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• halen
    I guess I better cough up my experience. It was early on when I used the probs that came with my Camp Chef Pellet smoker. It was off by as much as 15 degrees. Was much more reliable when I upgraded to a much better probe.

When I read set it and forget it, maybe I am taking it too literally. Because there are things that still need to be done, with whatever you may be smoking. Such as taking it out, wrapping it in butchers paper, adjust the temps again.

Now if you mean set it at 225 degrees for 6 to 8 hours, then yeah. Set and forget. Pellet smoker or no, it is still an art, a skill I am still honing.

Cheers
  • pitdogg2
    Well you could "forget" to add more pellets....
    😬
  • mantis
    I think Pellets grills make grilling for us who don't have Texas Grilling experience . I can grill pretty damn good but the Pellet grill so far is making my life a bit easier, when grilling.
    Dan
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,000
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    😬

And what if the rabbits stop making pellets halfway through the cooking process?
  • pitdogg2
    Viking64 wrote: »
    😬

And what if the rabbits stop making pellets halfway through the cooking process?

Dead gutless rabbits make no pellets....
  • daddyjt
    I guess I better cough up my experience. It was early on when I used the probs that came with my Camp Chef Pellet smoker. It was off by as much as 15 degrees. Was much more reliable when I upgraded to a much better probe.

When I read set it and forget it, maybe I am taking it too literally. Because there are things that still need to be done, with whatever you may be smoking. Such as taking it out, wrapping it in butchers paper, adjust the temps again.

Now if you mean set it at 225 degrees for 6 to 8 hours, then yeah. Set and forget. Pellet smoker or no, it is still an art, a skill I am still honing.

Cheers

Perhaps I was being overly simplistic. Indeed, I was not accounting for such things as seasoning, basting, wrapping, adding sauce/cider/water, etc. I was referring to the temperature of the grill. I’ve messed with the offset charcoal smokers, and I just don’t have the time or patience. I love the Traeger for the fact that I can put a couple pork shoulders on at midnight and go to bed. Wake up at 5am, wrap and juice, and go back to bed for a couple hours. Additionally, in the winter I know that the Traeger will adjust automatically to dropping temps and wind.

I get that you are most likely a devoted bbq fan. Similarly, I am a devoted charcoal grilling fan - so much so that I used to admonish friends and acquaintances that used propane grills. Fast forward 30 years, I still believe charcoal superior in every way. However, I now realize that “I” am the outlier, and if others are perfectly happy with propane, then so be it. It’s not my place to denigrate their choices.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• bcwsrt
    edited June 17
    😬

But, they do make good Hasenpfeffer!

Brian

• stangman67
    edited June 17
    I tend to associate set it and forget it to temperature stability as people generally prefer pellet smokers for convenience. They are trying to get set it and forget it in that regard for the most part.

All of the other prep stuff still applies. I’ve been smoking/bbqing for about 10 years now. Started on a char grilled akorn on my patio in San Diego. Graduated to a Vision Kamado in Maryland and now have a Kamado Joe and my P&S 1250 pellet pooper. You can make good BBQ on just about anything, just amounts to how much effort you want to put in. The pellet grill is the sweet spot for most as you don’t need to screw with air intakes/dampers and exhaust dampers to constantly manage temperatures.i like the manual process and can make better food on my Kamado with lump charcoal and wood chunks, but damn the pellet experience is so easy. I swore I’d never buy a pellet grill and look where I am now, haven’t fired up the Kamado Joe in a very long time.

• pitdogg2
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    😬

But, they do make good Hasenpfeffer!

Absolutely!!
  • halen
    [/quote]

Perhaps I was being overly simplistic. Indeed, I was not accounting for such things as seasoning, basting, wrapping, adding sauce/cider/water, etc. I was referring to the temperature of the grill. I’ve messed with the offset charcoal smokers, and I just don’t have the time or patience. I love the Traeger for the fact that I can put a couple pork shoulders on at midnight and go to bed. Wake up at 5am, wrap and juice, and go back to bed for a couple hours. Additionally, in the winter I know that the Traeger will adjust automatically to dropping temps and wind.

I get that you are most likely a devoted bbq fan. Similarly, I am a devoted charcoal grilling fan - so much so that I used to admonish friends and acquaintances that used propane grills. Fast forward 30 years, I still believe charcoal superior in every way. However, I now realize that “I” am the outlier, and if others are perfectly happy with propane, then so be it. It’s not my place to denigrate their choices. [/quote]

I find Hardwood Lump coal better than charcoal. Haha

I used to be the same way. Coal over propane, over Sous Vide.

Back then when I pick up steaks I would ask. Sous vide or no? If Sous Vide I will pick up steak at grocery store, else I will go to butcher shop. Also felt the same way towards A1 or H57. Might as well come over, listen to my audio setup, throw blankets over the speakers and tell me it sound better.

The today. I don't care. What suits anyone is all that matters. Life is too short, now that I am on the other side of young age.

I enjoy pellet smoking, as it is easier than using the pit masters stuff. I also don't have the time to baby it, maybe when I retire in a couple years and kids are older.

Cheers to the local beers!

• Kex

I find Hardwood Lump coal better than charcoal. Haha

That’s because it is! 😁
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    edited June 18
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I tend to associate set it and forget it to temperature stability as people generally prefer pellet smokers for convenience. They are trying to get set it and forget it in that regard for the most part.

All of the other prep stuff still applies. I’ve been smoking/bbqing for about 10 years now. Started on a char grilled akorn on my patio in San Diego. Graduated to a Vision Kamado in Maryland and now have a Kamado Joe and my P&S 1250 pellet pooper. You can make good BBQ on just about anything, just amounts to how much effort you want to put in. The pellet grill is the sweet spot for most as you don’t need to screw with air intakes/dampers and exhaust dampers to constantly manage temperatures.i like the manual process and can make better food on my Kamado with lump charcoal and wood chunks, but damn the pellet experience is so easy. I swore I’d never buy a pellet grill and look where I am now, haven’t fired up the Kamado Joe in a very long time.

Haha with that attitude if you ever have children your ceiling will be microwave dinners 😂...

For context I have 4 kids, my wife and I both have stressful full time jobs (I've been gone for almost three weeks on a work trip), I normally I do all the grocery shopping and cooking, and I grill on my KJ at least 3-4 times per week. Suck it up snowflake! 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    … I normally I do all the grocery shopping and cooking, and I grill on my KJ at least 3-4 times per week. Suck it up snowflake! 😂

Impressive! 🤩

c5fp0ejz51qx.gif
    Alea jacta est!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,148
    I use a Pitt Boss. It fully falls into the “good enough” camp. As a Texan that appreciates high quality BBQ, I also fully recognize the time and equipment required to make it. I’ll leave that to the pros and more decided enthusiasts.

I don’t try to compete with that realm. But I can make a decent brisket that feeds a ton of people, and lots of other smaller and more practical meals. We use our smoker 2-3 times a week most of the year.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • halen
    Sounds like this place is missing out on a pellet smoker get together.

Brohams get together Bromancing about Brosmoking. And getting Broners. lolol

As for offending anyone using Bro.

Brono care