Sonos new app

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,167
I'll start this, I have been using Sonos since 2006. This new app basically broke my system. I have 9 zones and it's the worse experience ever
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Is it a new app or system update?

You don't happen to have a previous device still with the older app on it, do you?

I hate when stuff like this happens. I try not to update immediately, have auto-update disabled for mobile apps, and try to read the reviews for any important apps before updating. There should be some kind of lemon law or legacy requirement for stuff like this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,404
    Sonos Dan!?! Turn in your audiophile card.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,561
    I've never used Sonos Dan because I knew this day would happen.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mantis
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sonos Dan!?! Turn in your audiophile card.

LOL,
    I have a full house Sonos system. It suits my family's needs. And not to mention, it sounds great. I'm running In Ceiling, In wall , Outdoors and 1 pair of floor standers with it.
    Dan
  • mantis
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I've never used Sonos Dan because I knew this day would happen.

You knew this day was coming? You do realize Sonos has been around since 2006, they are the best alll around house audio system money can buy.

Now with that being said, I carry Bluesound and they are making a strong argument for replacing Sonos.
    The Only issue that Sonos brings is the fact that they are the ONLY streaming system that has Apple Music and most if not all the other streaming services. NO other platform can even come close. And when they upgraded their hardware a few years back, sound quality has increased.
    Dan
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,044
    edited May 27
    I have Sonos in my house. A beam2 and sub with the bedroom TV, an Era 300 in the guestroom and a Move2 for parties in the backyard. @mantis I found the new app weird at first. Guess I wasn't paying attention because I was surprised by the update. Disoriented at first. I can't say I hate it though. What bugged you about it?
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,057
    Very happy with my Sonos system for the past 15yrs or so. All original equipment with zero issues...it simply just works!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    Seems like another example of a pseudo tech company beta testing software updates on its captive user base thinking it'll save them money on development costs.
  • mantis
    Very happy with my Sonos system for the past 15yrs or so. All original equipment with zero issues...it simply just works!!

As have I since 2006. But since the new S2 app came out, my system sucks
    Dan
  • mantis
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Seems like another example of a pseudo tech company beta testing software updates on its captive user base thinking it'll save them money on development costs.

As much money as Sonos has made over the years, I can't see this helping, I so see customers leaving the platform
    Dan
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,057
    mantis wrote: »

As have I since 2006. But since the new S2 app came out, my system sucks

I haven't moved over to the S2 app. All my gear is first generation & I don't think the S2 app will work. The S1 app still works good for my setup.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mantis
    We are now on the 4th update and it's slowly getting KINDA better. That is still hugely disappointing.
    Dan
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,948

That was their selling point, but ....competition dictates they will go away if they refuse to change. Their claim to fame was the ease of use, software, that even a caveman can use. For the most part it served them well, but others have caught up now on the software side and made advances on the hardware side that Sonos still lacks. In my view, you can use them until they no longer work and are forced to upgrade all your boxes/speakers, or move on to a company with more of a future in audio. I mean, Squeezeboxes were a big thing too, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,134
    SONOS update:
    Exclusive: Sonos CEO promises reforms after May app release 'failure'; leaders to forgo bonuses

Speaker-maker Sonos (SONO.O) unveiled on Tuesday a broad series of reforms that it hopes will restore its reputation after a disastrous app update in May that torpedoed customer trust and caused the company to cut staff.

In an exclusive interview with Reuters, CEO Patrick Spence acknowledged mistakes around the release of the app, users' central hub for playing music and controlling the speakers, and said he and seven other company leaders would forgo their bonus in the most recent fiscal year and, unless certain benchmarks are met, the coming one.

“This is obviously a failure of Sonos, but it starts with me in terms of where it started,” said Spence, 50. “So these commitments are what we've put together to make sure that we learn from this and make sure that the Sonos experience is better than ever as we go forward.”

After its release, Sonos quickly learned that the new app was not allowing users to perform essential functions, such as accessing or searching their music libraries, setting sleep timers and even downloading the app. The company has since been updating the app with new or revamped features roughly every two weeks and said on Tuesday it is more than 80% towards its goal of a complete overhaul.

Since May, Sonos and Spence have been on something of an apology tour to their roughly 15 million users. Sonos has released multiple statements of contrition, studied bringing back the previous app, pushed out new app updates and in August Spence fielded questions on Reddit from angry customers.

“When we make a mistake, we hear it, and that's okay,” he said in the interview.
    Spence said the app’s problems were the result of insufficient testing and a desire to release too many features at once, which he called a “big bang roll out.”

“We underestimated the complexity of the system and so our testing didn't capture all of the things that it should,” said Spence. “We released it too soon.”

The Santa Barbara, California, company said it will extend existing speaker warranties by an additional year, improve app testing, release upgrades every two to four weeks in perpetuity and appoint a current employee as “quality ombudsperson” to give executives regular updates on new tech development and publish an audit twice annually.

Sonos is also forming a customer advisory board, similar to the one for its dealer network, that can advise executives on what improvements are necessary before they are broadly released. Spence said that committee had not yet been formed.

The app mishap has been costly for Sonos. The company lowered its fourth quarter sales projections, delayed the release of two new products, estimated a $20 million to $30 million expense related to fixing the app and, in August, cut about 6% of staff, or 100 jobs. Its shares have dropped over 30% since the day before the new app was pushed out.

Still, Sonos posted a 6% jump in third quarter sales to $397.1 million and swung to a profit of $3.7 million compared with a loss of $23.6 million a year earlier.

Spence said in the interview that no additional job cuts were planned.

The CEO said the board and other executives were working on new metrics to measure leaders’ success to warrant bonuses and would release those details in a securities filing. Spence, whose total compensation was $5.19 million in fiscal 2023, took a roughly $72,000 cash bonus.
    “We're not going to relent on this until we're satisfied,” he said.

(From REUTERS)
    Alea jacta est!
  • mantis
    Yup and the app has improved but there are still many things wrong with it. It's now October and we have been dealing with this since May.
    Dan