So I built this...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited May 19 in The Clubhouse
Bluetooth 5.0, wireless speaker, using MTM .50 cal ammo box, Dayton audio, and Kicker driver components. It sounds great!

9oxw9v6ct1ev.jpeg
sf1gxjxetgv8.jpeg
dibpb7or4oy5.jpeg

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited May 19
    Noice!

I've wanted to build something like this for a while now, myself.

Is this one of a pair with SDA technology?
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    Looks nice Steve! I like how you store the paperwork inside too!
    I'm sure you probably realize you'll need to keep an eye in those anchors holding tight since the expansion isn't within the case material.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • msg
    I heard Larry's Rings are on order.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    I'm calling the ATF
    Sal Palooza
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Where's the BH5?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,795
    edited May 19
    This needs a review. Might I suggest Amir at ASR?

He won't listen to it, will just hook a scope to it, show some distortion, then get the rest of his loyal members to give him the "way to go, good find, can't believe people listen to this stuff" scenario. Imagine how bad it would review...."sound" if it had tubes. B)

@steveinaz Nice work! Did you design the boards as well? Looks like a nice, clean build.
  • steveinaz
    The BT amp board, battery/charging board, and rear panel are all Dayton audio products. They come with all of the ribbon connectors---it's plug-n-play pretty much. The amp I picked was the 2 ch 30w, it was on sale for $29! This will be our pool/beach boom box. I wanted something like the Turtlebox, but figured I could build something better for way less money. This was 1/2 the price of a TB.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    Sweet

I found a box of components to do something similar over the weekend. I got it in 2018 and apparently forgot about it.

Gonna build a bluetooth "boom box" with a 50x2 and 100x1 so I can put a small sub in it too. Got some Tang Band full range drivers and a Peerless sub for it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • billbillw
    Jstas wrote: »
    Sweet

I found a box of components to do something similar over the weekend. I got it in 2018 and apparently forgot about it.

Gonna build a bluetooth "boom box" with a 50x2 and 100x1 so I can put a small sub in it too. Got some Tang Band full range drivers and a Peerless sub for it.

Gonna need a big battery for that!
  • msg
    It'll add ballast!
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 20
    billbillw wrote: »
    I'm sure you probably realize you'll need to keep an eye in those anchors holding tight since the expansion isn't within the case material.

The anchors are there just to cover the sharp screw points. Eventually I'll run bolts/nuts, but for now the screws are holding well. I left an empty area on the right side for the laptop "style" charging brick for the 18650's.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 707
    Very nice!!! Would love to have something like that on one of my camping trips!

Now if @msg would also do one with a Yeti cooler that also stores ice and beers. Sign me up.
  • msg
    I'll mass manufacture using Colemans with Yeti stickers, offer unconditional satisfaction, no questions asked, money-back guarantee, return shipping included. Take a bunch of orders with 30 day lead time, ship, then close up shop, and do it all again under a slightly different name!

That's a great idea, @halen, thanks!

I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    steveinaz wrote: »

The anchors are there just to cover the sharp screw points. Eventually I'll run bolts/nuts, but for now the screws are holding well. I left an empty area on the right side for the laptop "style" charging brick for the 18650's.

I sorta figured that after looking closer. Have you figured out how long it will play on those 18650s? Also curious if you got the protected style batteries or not.
  • halen
    steveinaz wrote: »

I sorta figured that after looking closer. Have you figured out how long it will play on those 18650s? Also curious if you got the protected style batteries or not.

The batteries look bigger than 18650. I would guess 21700 or so with green sleeve likely by Samsung?
  • Jstas
    18650's come in many colors, it's not necessarily indicative of the size/type. It's more indicative of the brand and the mAh ratings.

But if that battery module holds three 18650's, though, then that's a 12v power supply.

18650's are 3.7 VDC Li-Ion so 3 of them gets you to 11.1VDC, not quite 12v but serviceable for a portable stereo box. Should last a few hours with three 2600 mAh batteries and the t-class amplifiers. They really don't draw that much, especially when you're using efficient drivers.

And I'm not going to need a big battery either. The kit I have came with 26650 5000mAh Li-ion batteries, five of them. At 3.7VDC each, that's 18.5VDC, plenty of juice to run a 210 watt t-class amplifier circuit for casual listening at the pool or something. Plus, the battery board will run off of an external 21 VDC power supply too.

• steveinaz
    edited May 22
    Don't know yet how long the 3 18650's will play, but I've run them so far for about 4.5hrs. I don't think these are the "protected" type, they are Li-Ion--this is actually my first device that uses 18650. I Bought them from Parts Express, along with the battery board.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    Nice job! Would the sound benefit from some damping material added to the enclosure?
  • Jstas
    edited May 22
    I was thinking that too, Ken.

In fact, I have about 8 pounds of polyfil that I was planning on stuffing in the chambers I make for my box. Was also going to cut some "triangles" to nail/glue into corners to kill standing waves. To build the enclosure effectively, it would end up being cumbersome to move around so any trick I can pull to increase the efficiency while reducing the size of the enclosure will be an overall benefit for portability.

It won't be ideal but then again, this isn't going to be for critical listening.

But, with the drivers I got for it, they will show a pretty quick drop under about 70 Hz if they are in a smaller than ideal enclosure. Hence the reason I grabbed the sub. That should reinforce the bottom end so it doesn't sound like an expensive transistor radio.

• Jstas
    Oh, also, if you go out to Parts Express and look at some of the customer submitted projects, a few people lined the inside of plastic ammo boxes with Dynamat to help dampen vibrations.

I'm planning on building mine out of plywood so I'm not going to worry too much about Dynamatting it.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    One shouldn't have to worry sbout portability if one is married. 👍
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Yeah, well, if I made the enclosures for mine to recommended enclosure volume, the enclosures alone would total about 1.5 cubic feet. That's a box that is 18 inches wide by 18 inches tall by 8 inches deep for the internal dimensions. Add an inch and a half in width, depth and height to make up for materials and you're at 19.5 x 19.5 by 9.5. That a sizable and heavy box to walk out to the pool with. Especially when you factor in the materials plus the drivers and electronics. Even worse when the pool is about 600 feet way from your back door. That's a long way to walk in flip flops with 45 pounds of entertainment and still manage to hold on to your beer.

• billbillw
    edited May 22
    ^^^
    Just make a rolling cart for it. Sound can't be compromised :D
  • halen
    Okay. 18650 batteries. What size are the speakers? They looked bigger in picture. I may have missed the post somewhere. I read Jstas went into detail about the Lithium Ions.i will not go much into that part. But I have to ask. Do you have a balanced charger for it?
    I would love to build one myself and have as a project with my son.

I will reach out offline. Will be a fun experience for myself and 5 year old.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    Nice work Steve!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    A very high caliber build!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    I see what you did there
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 26
    Nice job! Would the sound benefit from some damping material added to the enclosure?

It's not ported, so I figured it wouldn't matter. Let me know if that is wrong. The ammo "can" is actually made out of plastic.