So I built this...

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 26
    halen wrote: »
    Okay. 18650 batteries. What size are the speakers? They looked bigger in picture. I may have missed the post somewhere. I read Jstas went into detail about the Lithium Ions.i will not go much into that part. But I have to ask. Do you have a balanced charger for it?
    I would love to build one myself and have as a project with my son.

I will reach out offline. Will be a fun experience for myself and 5 year old.

4" Kicker DSC40's. The battery board features it's own charger, I would imagine it would be of good quality.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    VR3 wrote: »
    I see what you did there

Well somebody got it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halen
    halen Posts: 707
    edited May 26
    steveinaz wrote: »
    halen wrote: »
    Okay. 18650 batteries. What size are the speakers? They looked bigger in picture. I may have missed the post somewhere. I read Jstas went into detail about the Lithium Ions.i will not go much into that part. But I have to ask. Do you have a balanced charger for it?
    I would love to build one myself and have as a project with my son.

I will reach out offline. Will be a fun experience for myself and 5 year old.

4" Kicker DSC40's. The battery board features it's own charger, I would imagine it would be of good quality.

Thank you sir. Kicker, are those Stillwater design from Oklahoma? Apologies quick reply, out and about with kiddos out in the country side at the moment.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Such a great idea! Definitely going to copy you on this to throw in the basket for bike rides
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Built mine today! Great project, thanks for the idea!

3y5h71pl6xkg.jpeg
    uak8rgcnmxx4.jpeg
    9a9tai59u9nw.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • steveinaz
    Very cool.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    It needs a name.
    StoomBox?
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    Played around with this ammo can speaker for a few hours yesterday. Sounds great, gets louder than you would ever need it to go and battery life seems great. Played for at least 3 hours straight yesterday at moderate volume outside and the battery board still shows 100 percent charged.

No reason to go buy something consumer over this I don’t think.

• msg
    Dibs on your main 2ch when you karma it next week.
    I disabled signatures.
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,242
    So if I were going to search for the components to make one of these, what would I search? I'm guessing a Bluetooth receiver/controller of some sort and a battery pack to go with? I've got speakers...

TIA!
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    edited June 3
    seeclear wrote: »
    So if I were going to search for the components to make one of these, what would I search? I'm guessing a Bluetooth receiver/controller of some sort and a battery pack to go with? I've got speakers...

TIA!

PartsExpress: bluetooth amplifier board + battery board + panel mount and maybe a charger?. I didn't look around much at their website, but they often have project pages that talk you through it.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • stangman67

• msg
    Hey, has anyone mentioned where to get the ammo can yet? Just did a quick skim and may have missed it.

I know Harbor Freight has some cases, containers, and stuff, but some of questionable quality.
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    edited June 4
    msg wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone mentioned where to get the ammo can yet? Just did a quick skim and may have missed it.

I know Harbor Freight has some cases, containers, and stuff, but some of questionable quality.

Bruh, it is supposed to be after you finish shooting off a case through your Barrett.
  • billbillw
    billbillw wrote: »
    msg wrote: »

Bruh, it is supposed to be after you finish shooting off a case through your Barrett.

Or this, which is about $850 cheaper...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/355731534976
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    Last one, Scott!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    Bruh! Steal one from the Army base....sheesh
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    Bass Pro, Cabela's, Amazon, my house.....
    ....wait, that's my private stock, .....
    Sal Palooza
  • msg
    So, after catching up on this thread last night, YouTube got 32+ minutes of my time after I went down a minor rabbit hole looking for ammo cans, and instead came across a couple of videos with ammo cans for feeding props used for clearing jungle, like in Predator.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    I used the OP's suggestion, MTM .50 CAL plastic box

• msg
    Thanks, I think I missed that detail. I think I might have gotten ahead of myself and read that as MidTweeterMid.
    I disabled signatures.
  • seeclear
    t12dse46tba4.jpg
    sy5awln9w4f2.jpg
    Thanks Stangman and billbill! Here's the final results. I got the kit for the 30w per channel option even though I didn't need the speakers. I used some kicker DS525 auto speaks that I got karma'd here many years ago, and it rocks! Plenty of volume with my phone volume set about 2/3 and the volume knob on the speaker at 1/2.

(I got the karma because at the time I was having an issue with my car sound, it was all crackly and I was going to try changing out the speakers, but then suddenly it just got better and the speaks have been laying around the house ever since. Thanks to whomever gave them to me, and sorry to not remember who you are, they are finally being put to good use!)
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • stangman67
    Awesome!!

• seeclear
    Update-I was able to find who Karma'd the speakers, it was Starkiller. Thanks again, Alan!
  • msg
    @seeclear - did you have a reason for choosing the orientation you did? handle lift side, I mean? seems like that's the "inside" of the case for when you're walk through the neighborhood sharing your tunes with everyone.
    I disabled signatures.
  • seeclear
    Well, when I calculated the center of gravity it was apparent that um, well, so

No, I really didn't think about that at all. In reality the only consideration was, if I put the speakers on the other side more of the "Cabela's" name would be cut away or covered.
    Honestly, I'm not even sure what your point is. As it is, when you hold it by the handle it hangs a little off center because of the weight of the speakers. Seems to me you could hold it so either side faces out?
  • msg
    lol

OCD thing with me man, that's all. Nothing wrong with your build.

Looking at a boombox I have here, the handle lays down toward the rear of the speakers. To me, the handle recess would be "inside" or "rear" of the unit, but don't pay me any mind, I haven't built one yet. I was just curious as to whether there was a reason you chose one side over the other for speakers/panel placement since it's opposite of the other two builds shown here.
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    Very cool Seeclear! I'm loving mine and using it around the pool almost daily.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 26
    Here's a pic showing the Crown storage bag for the laptop brick battery charger for transport:

rst1vvmuxqvl.jpeg

• stangman67
    One of the most useful projects I’ve built in a long time. Use it almost daily. Today is “glamping” in Shenandoah.

Cameos by the pittie mix Goose and our French Bulldog Marcel. My beautiful wife and 10 month old Cooper are inside cooling off while I make the fire

c29dzay25a75.jpeg