Mid life crisis,Yea or Nay???

Options
TEAforONE
TEAforONE Posts: 1,020
Newly retired. My wife and I have been phenomenal savers, We don’t take huge vacations. At one time we had been saving for a first class vacation to Australia. That panned out,so We now have a wonderful hot tub.
Looking at our finances,we have more coming in than when I was working. Our money has been working wonderfully. I start getting the itch for a muscle car. I was doing a lot of research on 64-65 GTO’. I find some descent cars,that hi in the higher rang of budget,but doable.
Then,I start think about some 8,10,12 hour road trips. An old GTO might not make sense . I’m not talking retsomods, I was looking original designs. I just wouldn’t feel safe on a long road trip.
But I have the need for speed. So toss the idea of Corvette to my wife. Her stickler was a targa top or convertible. Targa I could live with,except that shot down my idea of a C6 Z06. C7 Z06 is way out of reach. So I’m looking at more C6’s than zurwtrr283gk.jpeg
C7. Locally a 09’ with a manual trans with 9800 miles. The car is immaculate. Runs and drives like a new car. It’s like a time capsule. Only issue II’s the tires. His ad stated new tires last season. So I make an appointment to see it. We go for a ride,the car is tight and solid and clean. The problem,the tires are not new,they are almost 16years old per date code on the tire. I showed him that,and he got sick. The guy he bought the car from told him “new tires”. So,I make an offer $1k less than he’s asking. He eventually accepted my offer,and now I have a mid life crisis in my garage! This is one fun car! I’m on a race to burn off these tires before I get non disposable tires on the car.
No that we have it,she really likes the car and has no issues with a stick shift.

So is anyone else going thru their “crisis”? Really curious about that!
7waf9iykrnlo.jpeg
3r07uf2sr2zk.jpeg
nuuamr1gt0dc.jpeg
42poy4h9jbos.jpeg
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,093
    Options
    I've been in it for a while now. I also am a car nut and I'm currently after a Hellcat I currently have a Scat pack and it's a pretty damn good quick car. I have pulled 11.7 @ 117 mph at the drag strip in it and that's almost bone stock.

My son wants to go in 1/2's with me and buy a nice example of a 2002 WS6 Trans am. A car we both share a passion for. Or get one we can restore. We found one at Classic Auto Mall around 36k.

I opened a Chemical Bussiness for Detailing chemical only from trying out so many different products, finding a brand that is a step above the rest. Talked to the owned about how damn good his stuff is only to break out the card and purchase thousands of dollars of prodcuts.

So yeah, I'm in your boat my friend and complete understand what you going through with he Vettes, the tires etc.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,678
    Options
    Nice! Congratulations!
    When are you getting your own car, though? Doesn't look like the '09 is gonna stay yours, if it ever was :D.

Careful on those old tires. Personally, I'd consider just getting the new ones now. I didn't even know "old tires" was a thing until this dude at work was talking about it for his mostly parked sportscar. Failed state due to old tires, even though they look solid and the vehicle is garage stored.
    I disabled signatures.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    @mantis, let’s see the Scat Pack!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,713
    Options
    You are not alone! But … my whole life has been a mid-life crisis, if it’s measured by the vehicles one has. Never have had any “plain Jane” vehicles without having at least one collectible/performance vehicle!

Congrats on the ‘Vette! Great catch on the tires and replacing those will take it to another level in terms of the ride and handling.

So, looks like the Charger is going down the road, eh?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,372
    Options
    Looks like the Mrs has claimed the Vette so I'd recommend that you get yourself a Chevelle SS 396.
    Are there bigger, faster, yadda yadda cars out there ?
    Yep, but... 🤗♥️
    Sal Palooza
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    Options
    Test drove chargers,mustangs and vettes about 14 years ago.
    Ended up wimping out and bought a v6 mustang in 2012. The
    V6 of that year was only slightly slower than the 4.6l in the
    previous generation. For the first 4 years it was the wife's primary
    ride. It was a great car. Over 30mpg on the highway. Plenty of get
    up and go. It got rear ended a few years ago. First and last accident.
    My history with fast v8 cars had some bumps. I rolled one pretty
    hard, and also wiped out on a slick road with Mach one mustang.
    My older son was and still is a performance guy. His first car was
    a classic smokey and the bandit Trans am. He had one of the last
    Trans am's ever built in 2002. I think it was 7th to the last. You could
    hear him driving into the neighborhood blocks away. He also had
    A 2016 vette for a while. He did get rid of both and now drives a
    turbo charged v6 Genesis
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,924
    Options
    Congrats on the new ride.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    So far I’ve been engaged with an audio mid life crisis,and a Corvette. My wife is pretty understanding. So far…….
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,684
    Options
    Congrats on the nice find, but absolutely get new tires on there asap. It’s simply not safe whatsoever to try to drive around on tires that old.

You owe it to yourself and the car to get fresh rubber on there. But bottom line is it’s a safety issue.

I suggest a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 5.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,584
    Options
    Congrats on the Vette!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,907
    Options
    Congrats on the car. But when is mid-life? Is it 45 thinking you're going to live until 90? or 40-80....
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    15,going on 16 year old tires are not safe at all. I’m looking to replace these next week. That is really the only defect with this car. I had a Corvette friend climb all over this car on Saturday. He found a dog hair on it and a couple of dead bugs on the front. That was it.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,745
    Options
    I don't know about mid life, but wanting one of these is some kind of crisis. I don't think Pontiac bolted on enough plastic.dk4k45swkwuo.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,207
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    I don't know about mid life, but wanting one of these is some kind of crisis. I don't think Pontiac bolted on enough plastic.dk4k45swkwuo.jpg
    I agree… needs some Asstec or Grand Am side cladding.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Also good job on finding a manual one!
    nps1ycvktevm.png
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,745
    Options
    I agree… needs some Asstec or Grand Am side cladding.

Well it does have a little cladding down low, and that Sunfire rear end...hideous.

i1nkqfhqqvvb.jpg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,506
    Options
    Beautiful car for sure. I do have questions. Is it you or your wife having the mid life crisis ? She sure does look happy behind the wheel & it makes me wonder if she is going to let you drive it :D . Back to the car. Be careful on the throttle so it doesn't get the best of you. I'd get a ticket for sure in that beast. I bought a new truck last Aug & I didn't like the tires. It cost me 1400.00 out the door. Be ready for empty wallet. Enjoy your ride. Be safe
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Beautiful car for sure. I do have questions. Is it you or your wife having the mid life crisis ? She sure does look happy behind the wheel & it makes me wonder if she is going to let you drive it :D . Back to the car. Be careful on the throttle so it doesn't get the best of you. I'd get a ticket for sure in that beast. I bought a new truck last Aug & I didn't like the tires. It cost me 1400.00 out the door. Be ready for empty wallet. Enjoy your ride. Be safe

My wife seemed pretty much against a Corvette right from the start. She was against me selling the Charger. All that seemed to change after she drove the Vette. As it is,we also have four motorcycles.(two are hers) I’ll have to ask her if she’s having a midlife crisis.
  • TEAforONE
    edited May 15
    Options
    9wyloysbbeku.png
    The start up message on the Vette

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,141
    Options
    Nice find for sure. Enjoy!

We all go through it sooner or later .

n8j2ve73z9wm.jpg
  • bcwsrt
    edited May 15
    Options
    I think the 6.1 is my overall favorite current gen HEMI. Had a 2010 300 SRT with that motor and ran the absolute crap out of that car. Bulletproof and no MDS like the 6.4 and more HP/TQ than a 5.7.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Options
    Congrats on the vette! We have the same color. Mine just turned 30,000 and has the z51 suspension package on it.

cxx3cofhznku.jpg
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Congrats on the nice find, but absolutely get new tires on there asap. It’s simply not safe whatsoever to try to drive around on tires that old.

You owe it to yourself and the car to get fresh rubber on there. But bottom line is it’s a safety issue.

I suggest a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 5.

That is the tire I bought last year. Great tire choice.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    v4udj60m80l5.jpg
    Back shot with the top up and the light up wind restrictor.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    This is the “fun car” I just sold after owning it for 16 years. My wife was more sad about this sale than myself.
    0igb2pkmzl6s.jpeg
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    If that's a current pic, you took some seriously good care of it!

Brian

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,059
    Options
    I've been eyeing this:
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    If that's a current pic, you took some seriously good care of it!
    Thanks. That was taken last summer. It has looked that way since I brought it home in April 2008. It had 8900 miles on it when I purchased it. The guy that bought it says he’s been waiting for one the was adult owned and maintained. It had 54,880 miles when he took possession. I had a full synthetic oil change,and new tires the day before he bought it. I couldn’t sell it with the tires that were on it. They were way over due to be replaced.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Did you decide what kind of tires you're going to get for the Vette?
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,683
    Options
    I am running the Pilot Sport 4S on my car. Been pretty happy with them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables