Class D amps looking much improved

Options
2»

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,014
    Options
    Well the Bokem class D amp is on its way thanks to Clipdat's generous offer. We'll see how it compares to my HALO A21+ amp driving the Maggie 1.7i's. Should be interesting & a lot of fun.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,187
    edited April 20
    Options
    Not to go all ASR on all y'all, but... if (?!) you can get a buddy to help you do a level-matched, A/B (single) blind comparison of the performance of the two amplifiers, it might :# be more fair to one amp or the other than knowing which one you're listening to. B)
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    Options
    I've dived into Class D recently. I picked up some Crown XLS Drivecore amps for PA work and tried them in 2 channel and was surprised at how well they did. Paired with LSi's in particular they really shine. The 22502 in particular just has so much headroom and effortless muscle to handle the LSi's with ease.

I also built an icepower 300AS1/A1 based amplifier and I absolutely love it. Am I going to abandon A/B? nah......I'll always have one or 2 around.....but none are active in my systems at the moment
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,660
    Options
    Is anyone else interested in trying the Boxem Audio Class D amp?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,060
    Options
    I recently picked up a Fosi v3 for my office rig. That tiny little thing replaced a Mcintosh 4100 pre section going into a Proton d1200 into IMF supercompacts. I'm very impressed with the sound and the fact that it runs a 4ohm load all day and barely even gets warm. So much so that both the Mcintosh and the Proton will be headed for fb marketplace. At around $100 for a 90wpc amp that specs out well it's a no brainer for me to move up to modern class d rather than stay with tired old problematic vintage gear.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,981
    edited May 12
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Over here! Happily using a W4S Class D amplifier for 3 years now. Don't see myself ever going back to AB. The dynamics are incredible and it never runs out of steam. I love the beauty of a well designed AB like the stuff that Pass or Parasound put out, but I have come to prefer the compact, cool running nature of the D-amps.
    Sound wise, in my opinion, the amplifier itself has one of the smallest effects on the overall signature of the sound from a system (*as long as it is providing ample power and not distorting in a bad way*). If it does that, and it reproduces everything you give it from the preamp, then its doing its job. The preamp, DAC, speakers, etc. have a much great effect on the overall sound (speakers being #1).
    I'm sure there are many who would disagree, but that's my position. I've had more than a dozen fairly high end AB amps or integrated amps in my system(s) through the last 20 years including some John Curl Parasound monsters. When I first tried W4S's STI500, it was the first time I've experienced what seemed like unlimited dynamics (or at least within my listening levels). The STI had some weaknesses in its fairly simple preamp section which led me to sell it. After some patience, I picked up an ST500 sold my big LSA integrated, and went to using the ST500 straight from my DAC for a time, until more patience eventually led me to an STP-SE preamp to pair with it, which was my ultimate goal. I don't see myself ever getting rid of that pairing, unless I sell my whole 2-ch system at some point to downsize for some move to a smaller living space.

I love Wyred 4 Sound’s gear, I still own the STP-SE, a pair of SX-1000’s, and the DAC 2. I honestly don’t know why they don’t get talked about more. Well the DAC 2 got a lot of praise for a while, but their PreAmp is awesome as well..
    My W4S gear has been stored away the last couple years now, after I purchased Cary’s SLP-05 pre, and a pair of SA-500.01 class AB amps. I can’t bring myself to let go of the W4S gear, even though the Cary gear is the best gear I have ever owned, I don’t want there to be a day where I regret getting rid of it, like I did the Adcom gear I had..
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,030
    Options
    I am interested in Atmos-Sphere’s class D amp.

I had tried a very powerful class d amp, years ago, to push my Kappa 9’s and had mixed results.
    Although powerful enough they were missing something. Like I couldn’t get into the music I was hearing.

Only issue is I have gen 3 SRS’s.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    ^ The plus side, still have the 9’s.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,032
    Options
    I know the Devialet line of hybrid class A/D amps get a lot of praise, but are $$$$. Their look is very unassuming.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • skipshot12
    Options
    If Atma-Sphere made that same amp specs in a stereo unit I’d have to give them a try on my SDA’s.