Assembling a pair of Legends

Options
2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    Finally got a tracking number for the 4 woofers. The replacement tweeters are on the way as well
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Here is a look at the drivers for the L 600. The magnet structures are pretty large and heavy compared to Polk Audio products in the past. The baskets, however, are still made relatively thin, although they do have indentations in the structure to provide extra strength and support. I can easily see how some Dyna mat could improve the performance of the speakers by eliminating ringing within that structure. 0qh153j92egv.jpg
    v56fddngzs5m.jpg
    8gp2c7x5m296.jpg
    cpouy656g0s7.jpg
    dl57qq9mo375.jpg
    i97y48xbhrfv.jpg
    5v2q2y924xgn.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 10
    Options
    This speaker has been prepped and ready for driver installation. This is a picture of the speaker before I begin doing that.ooclxxy3e3gn.jpg
    All drivers placed in position and ready to be secured. One thing about installing the drivers in the speakers is that they have to be oriented in such a way as to allow the pins on the beauty rings to clip in place. If you secure the driver in the wrong position, you will cover those holes and making it nearly impossible to fit the trim rings in place.
    4rriyn6x6er1.jpg

The legend series uses different size connectors for positive and negative. This makes it idiot proof for making certain that you’ve got the right connections.

99st75hglqtt.jpg

One note about the tweeter around the outside of the bezel. It has a piece of 3M double-sided tape, which is used to secure the trim ring around it. I find using that tape to be redundant because the plate also has magnetic coupling, so just sliding into place in allowing the magnets to grip it makes it easier if you have to remove the driver later.7aa4e6q8jyag.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    Options
    This little piggie went to market....... :D:D
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,941
    Options
    Lovely pinky toes for such a grumpy old geezer! 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 702
    Options
    Kinda surprised Polk is using stamped steel baskets for speakers in this price point .
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    Kinda surprised Polk is using stamped steel baskets for speakers in this price point .
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk
    Stamped steel in there as well

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,062
    Options
    It's an engineering over correction... Lsim cast baskets were breaking so they reverted all the way to stamp steel.

Kind of like when Janet Jackson revealed herself at the super bowl the next year was Paul McCartney playing piano for 15 minutes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    So, not applying Dynamat to the baskets while they are open?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited April 12
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    So, not applying Dynamat to the baskets while they are open?

I'd do so and will at some point when I go into my L800's. Surprisingly, John called his 1.2tl's fully modded at one point but didn't Dynamat. He later corrected his statement to say 'fully modded' but short of Dynamat 'cause he didn't have the time. Not sure where he lands re. this...?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,084
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk

Same drivers for all Legend speakers and I wouldn't be surprised if the same drivers are used in the Reserve series.

Main differences are cabinet structure, material and more sophisticated x-overs L vs. R.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!