Options

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,584
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    t6sc6alese8c.jpg

Absolute truth here - these LED headlights are getting out of hand. Trust me, I’m the last one to sign on to additional government regulations, but the brightness of many of these headlights is down right dangerous…. Especially when coupled with some jacka$$ in a jacked-up pickup.

Yes... And the stupid 4ft wide led light bar is a stellar touch. Instant sun tan! ****.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,178
    edited March 3
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    "were" the finest British craftsmanship....
    Still are. But finest?
    mriuhaczw0fl.png
    A Brembo front end and an Ohlins rear.....I'm in, lets go dial in that suspension....shall we??

Geoff, you've probably ridden a buncha Ohlins suspended bikes - good stuff? Makes me wonder:
    First, is it really that much better? Can you describe the difference over, say, basic Showa inverted that offers standard preload and rebound and compression damping?

I feel like suspensions are a bit like audio gear in a way. I know what I like when I experience it, but find perfection somewhat elusive.

I like sweet, plush compliance and control. Adds so much confidence and fun to the ride.

What makes Ohlins special? Is it just design? Or is it more that it offers greater tuning capability?

Scott, I've never had the pleasure of riding on an Ohlins suspension however I was sponsored by Penske which was WAY better than stock, never overheated and did a stellar job of keeping the rear stable in highspeed corners (90 - 120mph) and eliminated any squat while hard acceleration out of corners.

I'm sure you're familiar with putting a zip tie on one fork leg to measure fork dive during braking?! I was a very hard braker up front and was bottoming out the forks off the front and back straights of any race track, so we used pro rate (progressive rate) springs up front that prevented me from bottoming out.

One particular race, a competitor came to me afterwards and suggested I place my sponsor decals "under" my bodywork, he could see what kind of shock I was running when I went by him on the brakes into turn 1 lol.

I suppose you have a point referring to "suspensions are like audio gear", shocks are also like tires, different riders have different styles, so they'll choose their gear to accommodate their riding styles.

Most of my competition rode on Dunlops and Pirellis and would complain about the handling characteristics of the Michelins. I loved the Michelins, they had predictable traction, I knew when they'd slide, never let loose and plenty of grip. I won a race in the pouring rain on Michelin rain tires, literally by a mile on Seattle's 2.25 mile track, getting a knee down in the corners and wheeling out of them....having the suspension dialed in was a big help B)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,795
    Options
    Dog sees Camaro:

9ciktitxye7t.jpeg
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,119
    edited March 3
    Options
    'You can't see anything': Blizzard closes most Tahoe ski resorts and Yosemite National Park as winds hit 143 mph
    5435wj5x9qpy.png

(On Monday before blizzard on Thursday)
    5oa2q2fw9naa.png

(North of Stateline NV)
    h9tsdr3wv24p.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,224
    Options
    jhycttwfav8d.png

Must be a Marine…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,732
    edited March 3
    Options
    'You can't see anything': Blizzard closes most Tahoe ski resorts and Yosemite National Park as winds hit 143 mph
    lcqy7bgd1rug.jpg

(On Monday before blizzard on Thursday)
    c9r98wk90bru.jpg

(North of Stateline NV)
    883gegjknnnb.jpg
    Bad enough getting trapped in that in modern times, but isn't this what happened to the Donner Party around about that area?

I watched a sort of documentary on The Weather Channel about that years ago. That whole thing boiled down to a scam, couple of mishaps and poor decisions, and freak weather like this, iirc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,375
    edited March 3
    Options
    X marks the spot. Don't cross the streams.

oknduwk7wb2r.jpg
    61belhcg4u0l.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    edited March 3
    Options
    Whew, that was a close one!

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. People on the right, if you look out your window, you'll see another plane trying to race us. Please fasten your seat belts and return your tray tables and seat backs to the upright position. I hate that guy, and there's no way he's gettin' in front of us. All flight crew, man the windows and prepare to flip the bird as we pass.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    2bfzhxcy0jgo.png
    Source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/m-sale_1962_136.html pg. 67
    Wonder what "Famous Name" was on this tuner kit? It is completely unknown to me. :p
    Maybe it's from that famous "Famous Name Manufacturing Company"?
    They were... umm... famous. :#

min275svmjkb.jpg

^^^ Maybe one of these two? ;)

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Heathkit-1961-Fall-Winter.pdf

I don't think so. Those small Heathkit tuners didn't have magic eyes, and the knobbage of the "famous brand" is nothing like the Heathkits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 3
    Options
    PS I know it won't surprise all y'all that I have examples of the next generation of the tuners above -- the only difference AFAIK being cosmetics.
    AM
    s6zz7milylyb.jpg
    Sorry I cannot find a handy photo of the FM tuner :blush:

Well -- actually the FM tuner I have does have MPX stereo, but otherwise the same basic tuner, which does indeed (internally) trace its heritage all the way back to (at least) the FM-3 and 4.

fcz446fpdskk.png
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,375
    Options
    ej94camxix30.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,569
    Options
    A photo taken by Jeff Guelzow, a former transducer engineer at Polk:

r5q58tf92q5v.png
  • msg
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    0ekjp1kl80vk.png
    Probably texting.
    You should see this sweet Fer... no no no no no!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,795
    edited March 3
    Options
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,386
    Options
    ws9dbsjc5h1r.png

That bakelite construction reminds me of the old Simpson 260 meter

The guts
    4ycgz5zttpji.jpg
    ebdy947fw1h7.jpg

The "new" Simpson 260 XL

The guts
    y7dqh73hfxpo.jpg
    idktjjj5l3zm.jpg

Fancy colors ! 😲
    What will they think of next ?
    🫣

Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    edited March 3
    Options
    Disney+ channel on Netflix says that they'll have a new movie out at the beginning of April

mqi7ocfunxqw.jpg
    Sal Palooza
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,063
    Options
    xfay412er568.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Options
    x7mltxgbfe2p.png
  • Tony M
    Options
    fqq1jj08uahs.png
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,119
    Options
    Formula One driver Gerhard Berger’s stolen Ferrari found in London after 28 years

3ji94rs8pmfe.png
    0bh4wqb4nsta.png
    (Wow what a beauty! Probably p*ssed off for 28 years)

Scotland Yard has recovered a £350,000 Ferrari stolen from Gerhard Berger, the former Formula One driver, 28 years ago. The red F512M Testarossa was one of two Ferrari sports cars stolen from Berger and his fellow driver Jean Alesi at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola, Italy, in April 1995.

https://shorturl.at/dyKMU
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ At least the thieves or their customer took good care of it in the interim. :#
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 4
    Options
    6j5aw725zgf8.jpg
    (ASR)

especially in New Jersey.
    sir9eabnzqec.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,561
    Options
    So, the question is....does the insurance company own the vehicle now or does the owner? I mean, it's his car but I'm sure he put a claim against it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    The answer is YES
    Sal Palooza
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,569
    Options
    Ever notice how many civil war battles took place in Federal Parks?