Projects: what are you all working on?

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited February 21
    Options
    I spent six hours defrosting our frost-free (ho, ho, ho - it is to laugh) refrigerator.
    It's developed the bad habit of piddling from the freezer during the defrost cycle. Every week or so, the ice that slowly but surely collects in the bottom of the (bottom-mount) freezer builds up to the point that a defrost cycle will cause water to start to drip onto the floor from the freezer.
    Cleaned out the infamous duck bill check valve for condensate, which is likely the proximate cause for its incontinence. We shall see...
    I have a deep and abiding hatred of our fridge -- but the new ones all sound like they're even worse. :#

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Get an AC drip-pan :D
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Options
    Preliminary sketches...

te7bktdvqygq.jpg

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,194
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Inspired by an old thread of @stangman67 I'm working with a neighbor of mine that does a lot of woodwork and we are building me a new audio stand.

We found the maple slabs from one of his normal suppliers. They are currently 2.5" thick, but have a slight cup. So we are going to be bringing them to another shop that has a planer that can handle the size of slabs we sourced to flatten them. But, we need to wait for his shop to not be in maple syrup production mode. :D

Using comments from Stangman, I'm ordering 7/8 -9 threaded rods and nuts for the uprights.

Stangman, where did you source your threaded rods from?

I got the threaded rods from grainger. Plenty of options here https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/threaded-rods-studs/fully-threaded-rods-studs?attrs=Thread+Size|7/8"-9&filters=attrs

I didn't spend big money, used basic black ozide rods in 3ft sections
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    edited February 21
    Options
    This ain’t your grandpappies lawn mower engine lol

rel05ut2aw3u.jpeg
    o0w8aehp4ikh.jpeg
    zdd46h31ne7b.jpeg
    cxk2p05dznk6.jpeg
    dm4vu7zsxpp4.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Preliminary sketches...

te7bktdvqygq.jpg

Pretty sure that's not going to fix Doc's fridge.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I spent six hours defrosting our frost-free (ho, ho, ho - it is to laugh) refrigerator.
    It's developed the bad habit of piddling from the freezer during the defrost cycle. Every week or so, the ice that slowly but surely collects in the bottom of the (bottom-mount) freezer builds up to the point that a defrost cycle will cause water to start to drip onto the floor from the freezer.
    Cleaned out the infamous duck bill check valve for condensate, which is likely the proximate cause for its incontinence. We shall see...
    I have a deep and abiding hatred of our fridge -- but the new ones all sound like they're even worse. :#

Check to see if your fan motor failed in the freezer section. If it did you can replace it for about $20 ish and it'll start defrosting on it's own again.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »

rel05ut2aw3u.jpeg
    o0w8aehp4ikh.jpeg
    zdd46h31ne7b.jpeg
    cxk2p05dznk6.jpeg
    dm4vu7zsxpp4.jpeg

DAMN!!!! If I ever get involved with racing again, I'd like to hire you as my mechanic!!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    The only one I did thus far is build a snake rack with and for my son. kwsloz7lq0t0.jpg

Right now he has a 4ft ball python and a 1ft Kenyan sand boa.
    He's put a deposit on a male python so he can breed in the next year and sell the babies.
    They were in terrariums, a 55gal and 20gal. This makes his room look bigger and a lot less warm.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

rel05ut2aw3u.jpeg
    o0w8aehp4ikh.jpeg
    zdd46h31ne7b.jpeg
    cxk2p05dznk6.jpeg
    dm4vu7zsxpp4.jpeg

DAMN!!!! If I ever get involved with racing again, I'd like to hire you as my mechanic!!!

Sign me up! I know my way around a wrench decently well. It’s mostly done now and will sit until the frame is done
    m351lx3w48xk.jpeg
    mm8nj6qk0yp6.jpeg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    I finished up my butcherblock amp stands yesterday that are stained to match my new butcherblock rack. What a fun build it was and it kept me out of the house for a few weeks start to finish.
    jc78egiiltwd.jpg

Damn Nice!!
  • stangman67
    Options
    I finished up my butcherblock amp stands yesterday that are stained to match my new butcherblock rack. What a fun build it was and it kept me out of the house for a few weeks start to finish.
    jc78egiiltwd.jpg

That turned out beautiful! Home built stands are so easy and rewarding

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Ended up placing an order through these guys for the threaded rod and nuts:

https://www.fastenersplus.com/

Came in FAST!

op1jwjukuen5.jpeg

Well in advance of the wood being ready.

Might look into finishing options for the rods and nuts, but I kinda like the “rustic” look on them now.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Ended up placing an order through these guys for the threaded rod and nuts:

https://www.fastenersplus.com/

Came in FAST!

op1jwjukuen5.jpeg

Well in advance of the wood being ready.

Might look into finishing options for the rods and nuts, but I kinda like the “rustic” look on them now.

The raw metal rod will look pretty darn good!

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    jc78egiiltwd.jpg

Gorgeous, very impressive.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    I started a ammo storage cabinet using a Stack On Cabinet other than collecting everything I need I'm not far, got a new puppy so been sidetracked. I plan on continuing soon as I'm shipping him off to gundog training next month and hope to continue while he is away.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    jc78egiiltwd.jpg

What did you use for the top of the threaded rod on the top shelf?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited February 23
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I started a ammo storage cabinet using a Stack On Cabinet other than collecting everything I need I'm not far, got a new puppy so been sidetracked. I plan on continuing soon as I'm shipping him off to gundog training next month and hope to continue while he is away.

That’s brutal, I would have such a hard time letting a puppy out of my sight.

I completely get why you need to for your needs, but my hats off to you for being able to do it!

My dogs have always been part of my DNA. Granted I tried to trade mine away this week for a dog I’ve been in love with for years… 😆

I tried to steal my buddies dog, that reminds me a ton of my old dog. I was tasked with dog sitting this week, this was my “joke” today of leaving my jackass in place of his dog, that I love.
    yztxcu14py2k.jpeg
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    jc78egiiltwd.jpg

What did you use for the top of the threaded rod on the top shelf?

The top piece is a threaded round cap that I thought would look better if it was recessed. All the hardware came from an old Michael Green audio rack.
  • xschop
    Options
    4kdxobukcruv.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,384
    Options
    The yard. It bites. That is all...

Too much, too little time. Still, a labor of ❤️.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    edited February 25
    Options
    One day, Tom will post about a spike project... It's the year 2027... Dun dun dun
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Removed 7 bushes and trimmed all of the monkey grass since you left bro'. I am freakin' WHOOPED.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    Options
    Slam a redbull or four and get on it!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I could use a Red Bull or 10 about now....LOL

Tom
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

rel05ut2aw3u.jpeg
    o0w8aehp4ikh.jpeg
    zdd46h31ne7b.jpeg
    cxk2p05dznk6.jpeg
    dm4vu7zsxpp4.jpeg

Sign me up! I know my way around a wrench decently well. It’s mostly done now and will sit until the frame is done
    m351lx3w48xk.jpeg
    mm8nj6qk0yp6.jpeg

And it shows!! Yeah man, I've never seen a lawnmower engine that made me want to mow 50 lawns in a row until now!! B)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited February 28
    Options
    Let's see....the oven needed a new igniter, but I didn't take any pics of that. 30% of the time it would code F9 on the wife. "The oven has failed to exceed 150 degrees Fahrenheit after five minutes of preheating."

Todays project, a bucking transformer.

67ihuaho5oqx.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited February 28
    Options
    Fused. On/Off or primary would see voltage when not used. Line input and output voltage meters (toggle switch option to shut meters off). Three speed, line, 3.7% and 7% reduction to duplex outlets.

bowz28pdul9k.jpg
    fcjntoerr1q7.jpg
    hnjtpym5gmsv.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,479
    edited February 29
    Options
    Pretty neat. What's that for, Rich?

Edit : Disregard; I saw your separate thread on it. I thought it was for something like that. Interesting.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199991/bucking-transformer-for-vintage-receiver#latest
    I disabled signatures.