Configuring incoming power to your mains...

Options
I just had a discovery that I didn't ever think would make that big of a change. Well, I was wrong.

After a two hour conversation with an industry insider, I decided to give this a whirl.

I did what he suggested. I reconfigured how the power is distributed on the mains. (Tri-amp-able speaker mains) Instead of the Transparent SC's going to the bass network, then the Tara Labs jumpers going to the mids and the Tuneful cables going to the tweeter?

Now, I have the Transparent SC's going straight to the critical midrange with the Tara Labs jumpers going to the tweeters. Then from the tweeter network, I have the Tuneful cables going to the bass network.

RIGHT OFF THE BAT, with a cold system? Impressive change. After 8 hours of listening....I am taken aback at the change. They say everything affects everything? Well, I can attest tonight that it absolutely can.

Something that I never thought would make a change made more of a difference than I ever thought it would.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    Welcome to the vertical amping. Tom some run the positive into the bass side and the negative into the tweeter side or vice versa. You have more options with the trip binding post set up.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,376
    Options
    Oh, I have experimented with vertical and horizontal bi-amping before but this time, I have one amplifier with a tri-amp"able" speaker.

You kind of lost me on your post. Why would one want to do that?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

You kind of lost me on your post. Why would one want to do that?

Tom

Some feel it makes a big difference how the signal gets through the crossover.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    I dunno, if I were you Tom I would just rewire it to where only one set of post are active and forego the jumpers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited February 21
    Options
    Not after what I heard last night and into the wee hours of the morning! This is part of what we discussed and he was correct.

Now I have a baseline of what differing metallurgies do when hooked up in a different configuration. I am really impressed at what this brought to the table.

I always thought that you would want to put the SC's straight into the most demanding load.....I.E....the bass network. I was wrong and learned a valuable aspect that turned out to be a great attribute to the rig.

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Were you drinking tequila? Any alcohol consumed whatsoever?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    Better audio through . . . . alchemy.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Ya, I remember the first time I smoked weed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 113
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Welcome to the vertical amping. Tom some run the positive into the bass side and the negative into the tweeter side or vice versa. You have more options with the trip binding post set up.

I have my L-600’s wired this way.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • treitz3
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Were you drinking tequila? Any alcohol consumed whatsoever?

Oh yeah, bit not until it was reconfigured. I was stone sober when I fired her up and that was when I immediately heard the not so subtle change. It wasn't my plan to stay up so late last night but it sounded so good, I found it hard to peel away from the system.

Lots of positive attributes came with this change. Best part was that it didn't cost me a penny. Just a conversation and about 45 minutes of my time.

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Ok. Just checking. :smile:
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    You just knocked the corrosion off the connection points....pffft
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    @treitz3, What did you find when you used all the same model speaker cables for the connections ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    The Woodmere's use three seperate circuits for each set of binding posts and no stock jumpers came with the speakers when I got them. I had to buy a temporary set of jumpers when I got them before I could even listen to them.

I upgraded those jumpers to the Tara Labs about 3 or 4 months ago and used the other set of jumpers given to me by the seller of the speakers. Those were the Tuneful jumpers.

Ever since I got the speakers up and running, I have not changed the configuration because I thought they were optimized. That's where I discovered I was wrong.

bdn3zqqh27k1.jpg

Here's the new configuration. (Above)

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You basically want to create a playground for the electrons. The more loop-de-loops, the sweeter the sound.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    Options
    Well, things like this is what makes this hobby fun. Glad you're digging your new configuration.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.