Stupid Money

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
edited February 21 in The Clubhouse
I scan my local adds on a regular basis. People are free to ask any dollar amount, but the trend seems to be stupid money. Are people really paying the asking price? Case in point. Monitor 10s, SL 2000's, not even remotely close to mint, $400. No upgrades. Hell no!

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    There’s probably a type of seller, and buyer, who think that prices have to be negotiated. The seller thinks he’ll never get asking, even if it’s reasonable. The buyer thinks he’s been robbed, unless he gets at least a 10-20% discount on the asking price.

I nearly always prefer to just give stuff away because I just don’t like buyers who expect a discount on an honest price. I don’t like haggling, so I don’t ever do it.

When I do state my price on something, it’s nearly always an absolute bargain. If you don’t like the price, get lost. You don’t deserve the product anyway.
    Alea jacta est!
  • DaveHo
    Options
    See that's my hang up. I don't like to beat around the bush. I ask a fair price to get the deal done. I'm not looking for maximum profit. Just pass along gear I'm not utilizing.
  • Kex
    Options
    I’ve also been on the other side of this argument.

When buying something, especially a car, I’ll tell the seller (usually a dealer) what I think the car is worth. If he argues, I’ll tell him that my stated price is what it is worth to me and what I am willing to pay. If he can sell it to somebody else for more, he should do so, with my blessing, but I won’t give him more than what I think is a fair price, even if I am wrong in my assessment. It’s my assessment, therefore I think it is not wrong.

When a seller calls me up and tries to pressure me with statements like “I can only guarantee this price today, I can’t guarantee it tomorrow”, my answer is always the same: if you can sell it for more tomorrow, you should do so. I don’t expect you to lose money because I won’t give you that price today.
    Alea jacta est!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Why I like to buy here. No BS.

18 mos ago, I thought $550 on FB Marketplace for my mint AF RTA 15TLs with no upgrades was beyond fair, but no one else did. Guess they thought that was "stupid money." But ... at the $400, or lower, offers I was getting (most FB Marketplace "buyers" start at 50% off, jacka__es!), they were literally moments away from being firewood, or landfill, either of which would've brought me greater joy than selling them at what I believed was a ridiculously low price. Thanks to @charley96 and @pitdogg2, the rest is history.

Generally, people's ideas of what is mint, or isn't, is so far away from mine, it's not even funny. Also, generally, I find that people's ideas of the same, here, are much, much closer to mine, thus my first statement.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    in general audiophiles are more affluent, cleaner, more organized people - at least in my experience. IE: Folks actively participating in forums and swapping gear around, etc.

There are exceptions to every rule though of course!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Try looking for an inexpensive car or truck. Like people really are drinking the bong water.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Have you seen some of the asking prices for audio tubes on Ebay lately??? Holy Christ it's insane. I am guessing they aren't selling at those ridiculous prices since I see them on there everyday for months.

$900 for a pair of Mullard ECC83's, used with crappy pics, no verification they are what they say they are....etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited February 22
    Options
    Ebay to me is an interesting beast.

I purposely list thing so there 20 to 30% higher and sometimes at down right ridiculous prices in the hopes to NOT sell it there.

I want someone to try to find me on USAM or another place...

Ebay fees are absolutely out of control.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    Ebay fees are absolutely out of control.
    Absolutely!
  • heiney9
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I sold something on Ebay. My last 4 or 5 audio purchases have been on USAM or Audiogon. Quite a few purchases from Audio Advisor and a couple purchases here in the FM.

I have recently bought some tubes off Ebay, they were pretty good deals and I was just filling some holes. The tax thing surprised me though. It's been that long since I bought on Ebay, before they added tax to all sales.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    in general audiophiles are more affluent, cleaner, more organized people - at least in my experience. IE: Folks actively participating in forums and swapping gear around, etc.

There are exceptions to every rule though of course!
    [emphases added]
    Guilty as charged. :#
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I sold something on Ebay. My last 4 or 5 audio purchases have been on USAM or Audiogon. Quite a few purchases from Audio Advisor and a couple purchases here in the FM.

I have recently bought some tubes off Ebay, they were pretty good deals and I was just filling some holes. The tax thing surprised me though. It's been that long since I bought on Ebay, before they added tax to all sales.

H9

Do tell, what did you buy, what did I miss...😬😉

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    There’s probably a type of seller, and buyer, who think that prices have to be negotiated. The seller thinks he’ll never get asking, even if it’s reasonable. The buyer thinks he’s been robbed, unless he gets at least a 10-20% discount on the asking price.

I nearly always prefer to just give stuff away because I just don’t like buyers who expect a discount on an honest price. I don’t like haggling, so I don’t ever do it.

When I do state my price on something, it’s nearly always an absolute bargain. If you don’t like the price, get lost. You don’t deserve the product anyway.

This is why I usually just give stuff away to friends or family at this point.

I hate when people try to lowball and haggle below market prices.

last set of speakers I sold, a guy came to buy them after we already agreed on a price, he tried to offer less when he was there to pick them up.

I looked him dead in the eyes and informed him I would rather go grab one of my axes and chop them into firewood for that price.

He dropped the act really quick and took out the agreed upon cash payment.

• heiney9
    edited February 22
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Do tell, what did you buy, what did I miss...😬😉

I bought a Keces P8 dual linear power supply w/Orange brand fuses for a good deal.

cd0pgdt6lvtx.jpg
    bz83t2q2giam.jpg
    gamdhovptsp7.jpg
    3vm5ir8noo8t.jpg

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-P8-8-Amp-Dual-Output-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-p290853204

Upgraded Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC Supreme - W/DEXA discrete op amps and Mundorf caps

5fa4d238oxe7.jpg
    w1qvoinm3960.jpg
    wv133tohrrsx.jpg
    zfvw03e7vaat.jpg

Uptone Audio - EtherReGen for the main rig

Uptone Audio - ISO ReGen for the office rig

Keces DC-116 dual 3A linear power supply

(3) iFi I Power X power supplies. (1) each run my router and modem I have a spare for the future....lol

1962 Quad Raytheon BP, Sq getter12AU7 organ pulls
    1963 (PR) Raytheon BP 5751 Sq getter (already had a pair and didn't know it)
    Couple other 5814 pairs to make quads with stuff I already have.
    Quad- 1954 GE 5751 (5 star) BP 5751. The 5 stars are harder to find and they do sound a bit sweeter and more open than the standard GE BP 5751.

Looking at a 10MHz clock (thanks @Trietz and @Darqueknight)
    Looking at Puritan Audio Labs power conditioner/purifier/non-sacrificial surge suppressor.

H9

P.S. and of course the Pass Labs XA25.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Nice Raytheon's! There have been some real nice tubes in the past year on ebay. I've gotten several nice Raytheon's mid 50's BP and some real nice windmill getters. I've also bought some RFT gems, god those are liquid sugar to my ears...
  • heiney9
    Options
    I should pick up some early RFT's.

Once can still find some good stuff at a reasonable price, but I feel I have to work a lot harder to find them. People suck at taking and or providing good photo's.

I don't really believe the text, show me the tube. I can tell by the construction, etc. Many times I have to ask 1000 questions and many times the sellers don't bother responding or don't know anything about the tube.

One tube still eluding me is the very early CBS BP tall arm D or Square getter 12AX7. CBS only made their own tubes for a very short time in early 50's. I have a strong single looking for a mate. I've seen some that say they are CBS, but they aren't despite the screen print on the tube.

H9
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 23
    Options
    Original CBS tubes were Hytron as CBS bought Hytron. Then they said CBS/Hytron for a short period.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Then they were mostly produced by GE, IIRC

H9
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    If I remember correctly, CBS made their own tubes until maybe even ‘55 when they were GE made
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, CBS made their own tubes until maybe even ‘55 when they were GE made

That's about right. It was about the same time GE bought the Ked-Rad tube plant in Owensboro Kentucky.
  • DaveHo
    Options
    This might possibly be my first hijacked thread,! Carry on!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    zk6zl90fg9t2.png I dont know. There are good deals to be had. Yesterday I saw this as it was just posted. I called my brother & said go get this (his sub just died) he went today. It was new in open box. The older gentleman said he only hooked up speakers to his receiver & never used it & opened box to take picture. My brother is happy.
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Damn what a deal! Your brother is one lucky guy Randy!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    It was good timing. Glad he got a clean unit at killer price
    Randy/Maine
  • Kex
    Options
    There was a “deal” here on the Polk forum once, as I recall.

Some dude in New York City had a brand new pair of LSi9 that he didn’t like, and wanted to give them away for free.

Half of the respondents told him he was obviously a scammer.

The other half tried to convince him that he just needed proper amplification and to give them time to break in properly.

He wasn’t interested in troubleshooting (or the accusations of scamming). He had already bought a replacement at a much higher cost, and just wanted this gone from his Manhattan apartment where they were taking up space.

I don’t recall the name of the lucky forum member who actually went and picked up those speakers, but they did, and confirmed that it was totally legitimate.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    This might possibly be my first hijacked thread,! Carry on!

Well Dave I'll do my best to carry out your wishes
    👍🤗
    Sal Palooza