What's the oldest piece you use regularly?

Options
2»

Comments

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    44 year old RTA-12's.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited January 29
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    My oldest set up I bought all used about 9 years ago. Yamaha CR1000 (with sliders :D ) hooked to Polk Audio RTA15tl speakers upgraded crossovers by WMG w/rd0198 tweets. Technics SL1300tt. I grew up listening to country (my mom) I listen to all the old school country to hard rock/metal. 1960's to present every chance I get. I only have about 1 7ft shelf of record I enjoy & maybe 800 cd's & tons of rock DVDs i really enjoy. I use my Pandora acct & in future id like to get into streaming (i know im behind times). I enjoy Audio but have lots of hobby's
    (Partially) disco/Soundesign aesthetics notwithstanding -- the CR1000 was/is a fine piece, with a very nice tuner. I plunked down actual lucre to get a nice, and nicely rehabbed one many years ago.

Not really old from my perspective -- older than am I is old.
    I was drivin' by the time the CR1000 came out (give or take a few months). :#
    52825597136_bc157c0551_b.jpg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited January 30
    Options
    If you recall the 1st time I saw that picture of your gear I fell in love with the CR1000 sliders. Research (sure you know) says been said it's a mystery receiver when it comes to power. I bought mine used on eBay & brought it to Pete (stereo Doctor) in Augusta Me & had him go over everything & he documented everything on it so I knew what was what (honestly I have no idea) but it has worked flawless. With the RTA15tl I tried so many receivers & Adcom/Parasound/Acurus/Denon 200wpc amplifiers & the Yamaha was a perfect fit. Thank you for all your info over the years on vintage receivers.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited January 30
    Options
    Oops. Double post

Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited January 30
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    If you recall the 1st time I saw that picture of your gear I fell in love with the CR1000 sliders. Research (sure you know) says been said it's a mystery receiver when it comes to power. I bought mine used on eBay & brought it to Pete (stereo Doctor) in Augusta Me & had him go over everything & he documented everything on it so I knew what was what (honestly I have no idea) but it has worked flawless. With the RTA15tl I tried so many receivers & Adcom/Parasound/Acurus/Denon 200wpc amplifiers & the Yamaha was a perfect fit. Thank you for all your info over the years on vintage receivers.

Remembering isn't really a core competency for me -- at least any more. :/
    Thanks for the context/reminder!

The CR-1000 might (???) be just old enough to predate "FTC '74" in terms of power ratings -- but I've always believed it's nominally 70 wpc into 8 ohms. I've never essayed to measure the output, though.

b48k74iso6rn.png
    source: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?yamaha/yamaha_cr-1000_brochure_en.pdf
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    My ears. I started using them in 1963! They still kinda work.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Maybe you should get them recapped.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I got a pair of original Advent loudspeakers that I bought back around 1975. Been refoamed twice and rebuilt the x-overs and rewired recently.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    The oldest piece I use regularly is probably my colt 45.

You said piece. Didn't specify if it had to be audio or not... LOL
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited February 1
    Options
    I just pulled my Sony C333ES carousel player manufactured in 2001 and replaced it with a Moon 380D DAC. The Sony still plays discs but the carousel and loader mechanisms finally started showing their age. If speakers are included then the 1.2TLs are the oldest part of the system, if not then the Pass X1 is.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    I think (?) the Sony CDP-508ESD preceded my RTA 15TLs by a year or two (~1990?), but I'm not entirely sure anymore. Still works like new now that it started getting exercised regularly again. The LampizatOr handles the DAC duties nowadays, though.

l6vwa4fsvub4.jpeg

The old ES series were built to last!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I see some comments on the web about the lasers giving up the ghost and being hard to come by! Sure was getting it done this afternoon, though!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited February 2
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    I just pulled my Sony C333ES carousel player manufactured in 2001...

I have that same player. Loved it back in the day. Still have it, but its been in a box for about 2 years. It is faster for me to rip one of my CDs to my PC and sync with the server than it would be to set it up and find decent cables in my stash...
    Dang it, that reminds me...I have a pair of AQ Corals that are lost somewhere in this house...
    I should probably sell it. Last I checked, it still worked fine, but I had it serviced at some point around 2010 for belts and a laser replacement.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Dang it, that reminds me...I have a pair of AQ Corals that are lost somewhere in this house...
    I always liked those