😮 F1 — Hamilton Leaving Mercedes for Ferrari! 😱

Options
Kex
Kex Posts: 4,939
edited February 1 in The Clubhouse
The news has just broken from various sources, confirming a persistent rumor, that Lewis Hamilton has exercised a get out clause in his two year contract to stop driving for Mercedes at the end of the 2024 season to join Scuderia Ferrari. 😳

One of my kids is a keen follower of F1 in general, and Lewis Hamilton in particular, so I sort of follow along in a supporting role. 😂

We use the excellent F1 app with an annual subscription on Apple TV, which we can also use on our other Apple devices when traveling, to stream the races. Highly recommended!
Alea jacta est!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Do you own a Ferrari?
  • Kex
    edited February 1
    Options
    No, but I do own a 17 y/o and an 18 y/o Mercedes-Benz! 😂

They’re both worth about $5K at this point (each 😮‍💨), but they still run flawlessly, like the very first day I drove them off the lot, and cost nothing more than a Toyota Camry to maintain. 🤩
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,695
    Options
    Hamilton driving for Ferrari? This is absolute heresy.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited February 1
    Options
    After another year at Mercedes, I think Lewis should probably retire. He is past the average retirement age by several years and I don't think he will ever have the edge that Verstappen has now. I know he wants to get his 8th championship to be ahead of Schumacher, but honestly, with as young as Verstappen is, he will probably be past 8 before we know it, so it won't matter.
    He has to have more money than he knows what to do with. Enjoy retirement and if he wants to stay involved, do commentary like Nico does.
    If he does go to the Scuderia, it will be hard for me to watch. I was a proud E55 AMG owner back when Lewis was making his run of championships. I loved the idea of a Ferrari when I was young, but reality made me Benz owner...for a time at least.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Ferrari, where former champions go to die.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I generally root for Ferrari in the F1 paddock. They have been nothing short of disappointing in the last few years. They have one of the most talented drivers (in Leclerc) but their ability to manage races is awful.

Very interesting move though, wonder if that decision was on his side of Mercedes side? Doubt the Ferrari will be the better car. Also wonder what LeClerc thinks about this. Hamilton has been notoriously hard to be a teammate for.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Kex
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    After another year at Mercedes, I think Lewis should probably retire.

[…]

I was a proud E55 AMG owner back when Lewis was making his run of championships. I loved the idea of a Ferrari when I was young, but reality made me Benz owner...

Fernando Alonso — and to some extent Sebastian Vettel — have redefined what is possible in retirement, and Lewis is still a uniquely talented driver. I guess we’ll see. 🤔

I’ve never associated my plebeian roadworthy Mercedes-Benz with their F1 prowess. I also own a (barely newer) BMW and it’s a totally different philosophy. Mercedes-Benz put comfort first, with some credible pretensions to performance. BMW put performance first, with some credible pretensions to comfort.

As for Ferrari, they haven’t been affordable to me until recently, but even now, they are simply impractical for day to day living. I don’t want to own a garage queen that only comes out on Sundays when it’s sunny, to drive up the Angeles Crest Highway to get to nowhere in particular, with nothing in particular to do when I get there.

I do admire people with the dedication and devotion to own them, though. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    My Millennial daughter (and her husband) got hooked on F1 racing after watching the Netflix series, 'Drive to Survive'. She keeps encouraging me to watch it.

She said this news about Hamilton has caused 'quite a stir' in their house today.

Her take was that Hamilton was 'fed up' with the Mercedes cars not being able to 'keep up'. I have no idea myself, but just throwing it out there as fodder.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Kex
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ferrari, where former champions go to die.

While they may not have had the best run lately, Schumacher, as I am sure you are aware (you know much more about this than I do) enjoyed five victories in a row not so long ago. They also showed signs of excellence at the start of the season two years ago, even if that soon evaporated.

They still enjoy a history as the most successful F1 team ever.

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    … Very interesting move though, wonder if that decision was on his side of Mercedes side? …

From what is emerging publicly, the decision was Hamilton’s.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    edited February 1
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    As for Ferrari, they haven’t been affordable to me until recently

Couldn't resist a little humblebrag there about your net worth, eh? Interesting.

• Kex
    Options
    @Clipdat you should really stop trolling me. I don’t mind your interventions, really I don’t, but it makes me wonder if maybe you should try to get a more positive outlook on life, and just ignore people (like me apparently) who you find irksome. For whatever reason that may be. 🤷‍♂️

✌️
    Alea jacta est!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Those German cars are purdy, but gimme a Honda/Acura instead. I have a 2003 Acura 3.2TL S-Type that still has plenty of pep. Having said that, the sat-nav data is a bit out-dated! :D BUT, it also has a cassette deck B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Kex
    Options
    To each his own, but every time I’ve tried a Lexus or an Acura, I have found them wanting.

Who doesn’t love a cassette deck or a CD changer* though! 😂

*Both of my Mercedes-Benz have those, but I haven’t used them in at least a decade.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    @Clipdat you should really stop trolling me.

Calling out your douchebaggery is "trolling"? Good to know...
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I'm afraid to buy a new car...frankly, of any make. I'm not looking forward to when that day comes.
  • Kex
    Options
    One good reason, @jdjohn: CarPlay (or Android Auto, if that’s your poison). Thank me later! 😉

All it takes is a trustworthy, knowledgeable, independent repair dude specialized in the brand of your choice, and you’re all set!
    Alea jacta est!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Well, I do most repair work myself, and one good thing about Acura is that you can use Honda parts. Of course, for Lexus, it would be Toyota parts. I've also had good luck with Infiniti/Nissan. Not too hard to see a pattern here ;)

Okay, somebody get this thread back on topic!
  • Kex
    Options
    Hey, Honda is on topic! Just look at the success of those engines with Red Bull and RB (previously Alpha Tauri and Toro Rossi).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I thought all F1 teams used a spec engine from Honda? Honda supplied each teams car an engine for the race and a back up engine. Then after each race engine was sent back to Honda and Honda gave them another engine to use for the next race?
    But I guess my memory doesn’t serve me right anymore? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Nope not all how it works. While the engines today in F1 are remarkably similar in construction due to tightened regulations ( not like the wild Wild West f1 days) there is no spec engine or manufacturer.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Kex
    edited February 1
    Options
    There are FOUR engine suppliers, as follows:

Mercedes engines:
    1. Mercedes — Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team
    2. McLaren — McLaren Formula 1 Team
    3. Aston Martin — what a disgrace for that storied brand!
    4. Williams Racing

Renault engines:
    1. Alpine — BWT Alpine F1 Team

Ferrari engines:
    1. Scuderia Ferrari
    2. Haas — the only American team
    3. Kick Sauber — formerly Alfa Romeo

Honda engines:
    1. Red Bull Racing
    2. RB — Visa Cash App RB Formula One Team

Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I almost made an EV joke for a fraction of a millisecond there, but even I have principles. Funeral jokes, sure, np. F1 discussions? No way.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Dale Earnhardt was "supposed" to have retired and he was on the way of a major comeback when he died fielding his team.

Some people? Never say retire....

#3 - In memorium.

Hence, the 3 in my moniker. Rock on, Dale. You are not forgotten. In fact.....when heaven wanted the best? They got him.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    Options
    F1 is truly fascinating.

It remains the epitome of extreme racing. Some of the old style class remains, from the days of Monte Carlo, Magny-Cours, Silverstone, Imola, Monza and others.

I’m not convinced that there’s any other equally extreme Motorsport.
    Alea jacta est!
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    To each his own, but every time I’ve tried a Lexus or an Acura, I have found them wanting.

Who doesn’t love a cassette deck or a CD changer* though! 😂

*Both of my Mercedes-Benz have those, but I haven’t used them in at least a decade.

Just curious, wanting what?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    If Ferrari is honestly looking to get back into the top of the sport, bringing Hamilton on is a smart move.

He knows what it takes to get there, and be there for years.

With the subpar cars Mercedes has fielded the last few years, I get his frustrations and desire to walk away.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »
    Just curious, wanting what?

I know that wasn't directed at me, but for me it's typically the interiors, infotainment systems and engines.

I have the same issues with Chevy.
  • Kex
    edited February 2
    Options
    Exactly that, @Upstatemax (although they have improved immensely in the past decade).

I just get a Japanese Buick vibe that I just don’t like. Same for Tesla, incidentally. When I sit in a Tesla, I wonder why anybody thinks this qualifies as luxury, or even worth a price premium over a Volkswagen.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I’m not convinced that there’s any other equally extreme Motorsport.

Uhhhhh....WRC?

Oh, wait, you said "equally extreme".

Yeah, I'll agree there.

WRC is WAY more extreme!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!