CS10 sounds muffled and raspy voices

Options
My used set up is ONkyo TX-SR502. Set up as 3.1 system. Polk PSW10, Monitor 50 fronts and CS10 center. Crossover at 80. Movies and music are streamed via Roku. The center is just muffled and voices unclear. Reviews of cs10 say clear voices, but not mine.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited January 2
    Options
    Suggest you check your AVR calibration program/settings.

If all is ok there, then it is likely your used CS10 has a blown tweeter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    edited January 2
    Options
    ^^^^ +1 If it's center speaker is it possible he could remove a speaker & hook his center channel to it to JUST test it - so then he would know center is ok OR bad ? If it follows you know it's something in your center speaker. Id test woofers first. Lightly push in & out & feel/listen for scratchy resistance OR frozen woofer. If those test ok. Try using paper towel tube & listen to tweeter closely if it sounds like the noise your hearing BINGO...
    Randy/Maine
  • SlowWalker1
    SlowWalker1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I tested tweeter with paper towel tube. Works. Here is more info. I enjoy the streamed music fine. The streamed movies and TV shows voices are just too low and not crisp or clear in many dialogs. Have tried settings on my tuner for Movies, Music, NeoCinema and Stereo. Only slight differences. Sometimes Stereo is the best. I would say the sound is Warm as often described. But maybe too Warm. Do I need a better model Center channel or is my receiver the problem? I am a novice at this and dont know how to improve my enjoyment of the system. Set up as 3.1 only.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,764
    Options
    Did you purchase the Onkyo used? If so, there's a chance the previous owner did his/her own calibration. Like @F1nut stated, I would try clearing any calibration settings if possible. Coulld also be the speaker level is down for the center and that would also be part of those calibration settings.

Some AVR's also have a dialogue volume level, Maybe perform a reset on the Onkyo and start fresh.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    5 months later...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk