My stereo room is coming along - new lights

Options
Sometimes I focus so much on the gear that I neglect the room. I’ve been wanting to update the room to match the feel of the gear. I finally got around to it. After looking at many options, my wife approved the Buster and Punch Carara Marble Wall Sconces.

An audiophile club member came to install it today. Will have him install the furutech gtx outlet next time.

But it looks awesome and really nearly finishes the room.

I still have to work on some decor on top of my Gik turbo bass traps and I need to find some walnut stained qrd diffusers for the entire perimeter of the walls.

Have you guys worked on your room lately?623pkdaqf0g6.jpeg
famegptm13tc.jpeg
ublf76g6qks2.jpeg
kmbzjz3yq9xl.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    famegptm13tc.jpeg

Joey! You've kind of let yourself go! My suggestion would be to stay off the bacon.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Did you pay for a professional to come and set up the acoustic treatments in that room?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Also you spent over $2k for three sconces?
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,519
    Options
    How is that different from spending $2k on (component of choice)?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Those sconces look great
    Randy/Maine
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Options
    Big fan of those lights! A couple grand IMO is not all that out of line for high end lighting fixtures. If my room was over I’d have no qualms doing something similar
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    How is that different from spending $2k on (component of choice)?

Are the sconces in the signal chain?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    IMHO, the sconce lighting if for a rig with Tubes . . . tubes add soul!

Are you rocking any tube equipment? asking for a friend

btw, the rig and room look Great!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it was like $3250 on the lights, more than I was wanting to spend because while I didn’t like the crappy stock lights, I wasn’t planning on spending more than $150 each. But the Buster and Punch stuff was just too awesome and quality (now that I received them) and packaging and feel is just so next level. I think each light is 25 lbs while my old one was stamped metal at 1lb.

I had a choice between black marble and white/grey, I ended up with white/grey as my wife felt like it matched my room more.

I scored 30% off Cyber Monday sale but I missed the Black Friday sale which would’ve saved me another 20% (I forgot London timezone is different than Tejas). I was waffling and missed the BFriday sale as that would’ve put all five at $2250. Sucks. I told my wife I was sad I missed the BF sale and I was gonna wait for the next BF in 2024 (historically BP doesn’t go on sale except BFriday/CMonday). My wife said, just get it, if you like it and it makes your room more complete and you spend a lot of time in there, just do it. Glad I did. We have some other nice lights in the home but this Buster and Punch stuff is next level in terms of quality and packaging. It’s unfortunate that for example my dining room and family room lights while more expensive came in subpar packaging which makes me think they probably come out of a factory somewhere where there’s cheap labor.

I believe BPunch is made in London.

oegcsld84340.jpeg
    rxrsap41rmrf.jpeg
    qojcxfoctqre.jpeg
    6ounv2gbwefo.jpeg
    rix6aoituyj7.jpeg
    pofzcllfsbhy.jpeg
    Post edited by Joey_V on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I chose the white and grey because I just put a deposit in this… zop5joquuaxz.jpeg
    29h56w8l1xqn.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Other choices I had… the dual lightsaber effect was nicer but that measures 36” so it would ruin my diffusers.qhry5fv76nce.jpeg
    6unu6gieviar.jpeg

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/shop/lighting/wall-lights/caged-wall-x-large-white-marble/
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Did you pay for a professional to come and set up the acoustic treatments in that room?

We have some geniuses in the club that eat breathe and sleep room response and treatment.

Here is the resulting room response with Boulder and Magico M2, 75db full frequency spectrum pink noise:
    v9xic35pz6ed.png
  • Joey_V
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    IMHO, the sconce lighting if for a rig with Tubes . . . tubes add soul!

Are you rocking any tube equipment? asking for a friend

btw, the rig and room look Great!

Thx bro!

I do have tubes… dual audio research reference 10 (phono and linestage)

nbpg5vvcpc0m.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    famegptm13tc.jpeg

Joey! You've kind of let yourself go! My suggestion would be to stay off the bacon.

Lol
    That’s my club member and friend Melvi… the way he wired the rear of the wall lights, perfectionist. We try to avoid fire hazards in these parts.
    🤞
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2023
    Options
    For perimeter upper diffusers, maybe this but I’m not yet committed
    skb84otko0gx.png

• Clipdat
    Options
    I was gonna say, it definitely seems like you need more room treatments. So yeah go for it.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Beautiful all around! Your wife was right about the white marble sconces but man those black ones look very cool indeed.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Beautiful all around! Your wife was right about the white marble sconces but man those black ones look very cool indeed.

Yeah the black is probably nicer as a singular unit or for a fancy area like a bar or dining room. But as a totality, my wife felt like we had to tone down the lights so they wouldn’t be the focal point of the wall. But rather blend in and still have some pop.

I liked the tube 6sn7 feel.

And it really matches the Sennheiser He1 that I hope to receive if things line up.

4yey8yh3cxly.jpeg
    iss4fhqti8ly.jpeg

• Joey_V
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I was gonna say, it definitely seems like you need more room treatments. So yeah go for it.

I’ve had a few select members come by to listen, and give me pointers or critique. I’ve yet to come across a dissatisfied individual.

A members review:
    ecs8d9coevlq.jpeg
    zpbh33e4kf2d.jpeg
    n3nqqbxaj9kj.jpeg

Post edited by Joey_V on
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Capitalization and paragraph breaks, who needs them?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Capitalization and paragraph breaks, who needs them?

Cant have it all.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Very cool lights. They definiteIy fit well with the room and gear. I wonder if Home Depot carries replacement bulbs? :p
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    For perimeter upper diffusers, maybe this but I’m not yet committed
    skb84otko0gx.png

You could put knick knacks in them. :)

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    The lights and the room look great, I can appreciate the quality of their products for sure!

This created more questions for me than answers and I was hoping you had more insight?

fdvf227sdpbc.png

There appears to be a 20db difference between the low frequencies and high frequencies and no response above 15khz?

Just trying to understand what you have going on here. I know when I ran DIRAC measurements my system had a similar slant but no where this pronounced.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited December 2023
    Options
    50 shades of grey :#
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    skb84otko0gx.png
    You could put knick knacks in them. :)

I was thinking vintage Hot Wheels!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,343
    Options
    Sometimes I focus so much on the gear that I neglect the room.

Hey, Joey. Do you have any other available closets nearby? I would clear out much of what I see. I would also bring the speakers out about 3-4 feet and lose all of the gear/ottoman/LP's in front of the speakers.

I am offering you some constructive criticism here and I am in no way trying to bring you down or be, "that guy".

Think of it like this. If that room were a speaker, much of the volume would be taken up by the items within the room, reducing the available volume. You have great gear, no doubt. You have what appears to be a great sized room that is dedicated to nothing but audio ( and lights :) ). If you were to upgrade a crossover within a speaker and the new components take up such vast real estate within the speaker, it eventually affects the volume, which, in turn, affects the frequency output of said speaker.

One of the things that I have experienced in my own personal audio journey is that volume (within reason) is one of the greatest aspects of an audio reproductive effort.

I do hope that you take what I have to say as a friend and not just some unfounded comments by "Joe Schmoe" off the internet that just wants to bully or degrade what you have for no reason. It is, however, something that I thought I would mention for your thought.

With that said, I personally think you should start re-experimenting with the excessive amount of panels in the room. They may have worked well with past systems to clean up the hash/grit or whatever it was you were experiencing but that sure is a lot of treatment for one room. The measurements even confirm that.

Anyhoo, rock on with yo' bad self and tell me to pound sand, if you want. I am just commenting on your current room setup as I see it. There are many things in this hobby that cannot be explained and your room could sound like God's gift to the audio world. I don't know, because I haven't heard it.

All I know is that if you want an insurance claim? Leave the key under your back doormat and I'll make sure the family isn't woken up. 😉😀 Let's plan on next Saturday. 😉

FWIW. Peace brother.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    Sometimes I focus so much on the gear that I neglect the room. I’ve been wanting to update the room to match the feel of the gear. I finally got around to it. After looking at many options, my wife approved the Buster and Punch Carara Marble Wall Sconces.

An audiophile club member came to install it today. Will have him install the furutech gtx outlet next time.

But it looks awesome and really nearly finishes the room.

I still have to work on some decor on top of my Gik turbo bass traps and I need to find some walnut stained qrd diffusers for the entire perimeter of the walls.

Have you guys worked on your room lately?623pkdaqf0g6.jpeg
    famegptm13tc.jpeg
    ublf76g6qks2.jpeg
    kmbzjz3yq9xl.jpeg

Very nice room bro. Those new headphones gotta be killer!! I wish I had your room and you had a feather up your backside....then we'd both be tickled :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Love the discussion

Will reply when I get back home

The short of it is a room response was done after listening. Room response should shelve down as typically seen on well curated rooms and is typically shelving down as frequencies move up. I’ll find a better response curve on my room, I’ll post it shortly. Perhaps also a slight limitation of the microphone.

Tom - hear ya. I’ve worked on various positioning. The front half of the room is deader than the rear. The rear is very diffused but you can’t see it. The seat is comfortable in terms of aural sensation. The panels are 8.5” thick each so it gives an illusion of being close to the rear of the speakers. Moving the speaker forward changes the perspective of my listening and makes me feel like I’m in a bubble of sound. I prefer looking from afar and I prefer a stage like effect. The bass is linear, if I remove treatments from the front of the room where the sound is generated, I find it to smear the stage and tightness of image not to response I end up with destructive comb filtering.

I’ll respond more later, but as they say… proof is in the listening. I had a suspicion my room response was pretty linear in the bass region and I was mightily happy with the FRC when I finally saw it.

I have not encountered a single person where they felt the system deficient in any sonic character. Suffice to say we have heard many mega and more elaborate systems, and it is typically my system, then a gap, then someone else’s. Atleast that’s what they tell me and spread within the group.

This guy heard Skip’s largest system. He has said my and skips system are the one two punch in the area thus far. And skips is not #1.

I’m in no hurry to move things dramatically. It just kinda works.

4inaez8ho69a.jpeg