Danny Richie tests LSIM703

Options
marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,875
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I like how the video stops and he comes back in to talk about how difficult this install would be. The part where he says you could put those parts all over the enclosure internally is awful and should be removed from the video.

External is the only option for the 703 for a full rebuild
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    What is the Freq. cutoff of the woofer? Just curious.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

Did you watch the video? He has graphs of the testing.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I'll have to watch again. I thought he did say that an external mount with the crossover inside a stand is the way to go and that the components would actually take up too much internal enclosure volume compared to the original 2 board crossovers.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I'll have to watch again. I thought he did say that an external mount with the crossover inside a stand is the way to go and that the components would actually take up too much internal enclosure volume compared to the original 2 board crossovers.

He did say that, he also did say you "could" BUT you would need to fiddle around with placement around all the bracing. He definetly alluded to the impossibility of doing it that way.
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

Did you watch the video? He has graphs of the testing.

TY....@330 Hz . If I find a set, the mids would get plugged and the plastic frame swapped for solid alloy.
  • VR3
    Options
    The problem with the Lsim series at this point is the fact the tweeters are very unreliable and Polk doesn't have replacements
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The problem with the Lsim series at this point is the fact the tweeters are very unreliable and Polk doesn't have replacements

I'm surprised by that. The LSIM's was one of their very best lines.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    Options
    The days of long term legacy support seen to be over im afraid
  • xschop
    Options
    Dayton tweeter to the rescue.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,930
    edited November 2023
    Options

I don't think any of us expect anything like they have done with the vintage SDA's and even that has dwindled over the last 10 years, but with lines like the LSiM, and Legend, and maybe even the Reserve, they should be able to have parts for at least 3 years after the death of the line, especially to the people that have the paper work that they are the original owners.

My LSiM's have worked flawlessly since I purchased them, so even the three years really wouldn't have mattered for me.

I do have a brand new set of 703's put away...
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have had several pairs of these without any driver failures. But, I did notice that after driving a pair of LSiM703s at moderately high volume for an hour continuously with a Parasound A21 amp that the tweeter bezel was a bit warm to the touch. That seemed unusual to me so I turned the volume down to see if the issue would go away. It did.

Of course the failures may have been caused a bad batch in production or the speakers may have been driven by inadequate current at some point in their lives. It could also have been a design issue with inadequate heat dissipation, but that's just a guess.

As I recall when replacements were available they were relatively expensive. It's been decades since I blew a tweeter on a speaker but I remember when I did it was because of the speakers being overdriven with inadequate power causing too much heat for the tweeter to handle.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    How does someone determine the point at which taking up more cabinet volume with larger crossover parts will have an effect on speaker performance? Is there a way to counteract the volume loss somehow with less internal insulation material? Or does it matter at all if the speaker is ported or not ported?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    My logic says more than a 10% loss of internal volume will affect the performance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

I have had several pairs of these without any driver failures. But, I did notice that after driving a pair of LSiM703s at moderately high volume for an hour continuously with a Parasound A21 amp that the tweeter bezel was a bit warm to the touch. That seemed unusual to me so I turned the volume down to see if the issue would go away. It did.

Of course the failures may have been caused a bad batch in production or the speakers may have been driven by inadequate current at some point in their lives. It could also have been a design issue with inadequate heat dissipation, but that's just a guess.

As I recall when replacements were available they were relatively expensive. It's been decades since I blew a tweeter on a speaker but I remember when I did it was because of the speakers being overdriven with inadequate power causing too much heat for the tweeter to handle.

The amp may have been clipping on the transient peaks, most amps do not have an overbuilt regulated power supply including the parasound a21. Try an amp the can double down to 1ohm, I guarantee that would not happen.
  • MLK
    MLK Posts: 15
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I don't think any of us expect anything like they have done with the vintage SDA's and even that has dwindled over the last 10 years, but with lines like the LSiM, and Legend, and maybe even the Reserve, they should be able to have parts for at least 3 years after the death of the line, especially to the people that have the paper work that they are the original owners.

My LSiM's have worked flawlessly since I purchased them, so even the three years really wouldn't have mattered for me.

I wonder if California's right to repair law that goes into effect 7/1/2024 will require Polk to continue to carry replacement parts for 7 years after production. I know this is only in California, but the state has a lot of pull to affect manufacturers for the rest of the country/world.

Of course, this likely will not pertain to LSiM line, just current Polk products (on 7/1/2024).

https://www.androidauthority.com/california-right-to-repair-law-3374535/
  • xschop
    Options
    MLK wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I wonder if California's right to repair law that goes into effect 7/1/2024 will require Polk to continue to carry replacement parts for 7 years after production. I know this is only in California, but the state has a lot of pull to affect manufacturers for the rest of the country/world.

Of course, this likely will not pertain to LSiM line, just current Polk products (on 7/1/2024).

https://www.androidauthority.com/california-right-to-repair-law-3374535/

That thinking is akin to requiring you to own an electric lawn-mower....
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    That is TWO now (first the L600) and now LSiM man Polk engineers are great. It's great validation of we already know.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I guess when we buy new speakers we should hit up the parts department for spares while they have them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601