LP Crate suggestions

Options
A buddy of mine is I reading his album numbers and wanted to know what were some recommendations for crates for his LPs. Thanks

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I just read the initial post and it should have said a buddy of mine is increasing his albums. He would like suggestions on good lp crates. Fer fox sake, I hate autocorrect
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Does he want to have them available for quick easy browsing, or is stashed away okay?

I've tried some stuff from The Container Store. Can't say I've found any one thing that checks all the boxes.

Their record crates were flimsy last I bought some.

I've seen a couple of the Ikea boxes/cabinet things. Was it @nspindel who posted a photo of one? It was like a mini wall of cubes behind a couch, iirc.

That or someone else who posted one with a taxidermed bear or mountain lion or hedgehog on top.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    a taxidermed bear or mountain lion or hedgehog on top.

Manbearlionhog?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    A lot of LP collectors use Ikea Kallax storage cube units for LP storage. There are many videos on Youtube that show improvements that can be made to make them very sturdy and functional.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-white-20275814/

There are also other brands that have similar function such as BetterHomesandGardens that can be found at WalMart and elsewhere. I have one of the four cube units from them.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I was purchasing crates like these (Supreme crates?) from, might have been, the container store. They were tall enough for albums, stackable and nestable. This place has a similar crate.

https://www.milkcratesdirect.com/super-crates/set-of-4-s-crates

jxfduxumbgdw.png
    9rfafm7guw2g.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    I hate autocorrect
    Fer fox sake, TURN it OFF!!

😉😉
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks fellas, good suggestions.
  • dromunds
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I hate autocorrect
    Fer fox sake, TURN it OFF!!

😉😉

I would but I don’t know how. Lol. Reminds me of a story from when I was a kid: my friend’s older brother bought a used cop car that had a spotlight. Kind of like the car in the Blues Brothers. He goes to the drive-in and parks near the front. At a particularly important point in the movie he turns on the spotlight and points it right at the movie screen, creating a white-out so nobody could see what was going on in the movie. People started yelling to turn that damn spotlight off. My buddy’s brother acted like he was fussing with the spotlight and yelling, “I’m trying to shut it off, but I don’t know how it works!” He kept yelling, “I don’t how this thing works!” Meanwhile, the most important part of the movie was over. Then he shut it off, acting like he had just figured out how.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,928
    Options
    I don't feel you guys are considering my feelings when you use terminology like "Fer Fox Sake"

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    On an iPhone (and maybe other iOS devices), it’s Settings > General > Keyboard.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I don't feel you guys are considering my feelings when you use terminology like "Fer Fox Sake"
    With the utmost respect: It is possible that not all of us might have realized that you identified as vulpine.
    :#
    Or is this more about rice wine?
    B)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Dammit Doc quit using big short words ....

😜
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »

I think @SCompRacer built something like that, very nice they are.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2023
    Options
    The one I built is shown in this thread. Holds near 300 IIRC. Dimensions and build details are on page two. I did a two piece, so it was easier to move around, empty of course. Large dowels were used to attach top. No dividers were used between rows. We have pushed it around quite a bit since to clean and relocate.

I have alphabetized my albums since and the remaining several hundred are in stackable crates. Under contract with the wife, this rack and a demo album rack were all I could keep in living room, although I am pushing it with a couple crates up there too. :D

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184917/record-storage/p1

74f65ckw3unf.png
    upqe9znprax6.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I guess fruit crates are out of fashion :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Fruit crates are still kewl! Just can't stack em.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have had one of these for some time along with an IKEA Kallax 1x4 set.
    Sound Stash Record Storage

I am moving the Kallax out and getting a couple more of these to go along with my 2 bookcases (book storage only)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    I have Peaches crates and stack one on top of another with no problem - open side facing out.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    I have Peaches crates and stack one on top of another with no problem - open side facing out.

My bad should have been more specific.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I got one like the better homes and garden one only I bought it at Menards but have yet to put it together I will need a 2nd to fit all my albums in.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Here's my suggestion for you, Steve...

https://www.blacktailstudio.com/shop/sculpted-record-cabinet

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I got mine on Amazon, but there are no longer available.

Here is some listed there. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=record+crates&crid=Z49GL5I7419K&sprefix=record+crates,aps,107&ref=nav_signin
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options

Nice! I made some of these for a batch of cassette tapes I have. Maybe I'll try a couple for LP's also.

gey4iqaiy3z5.jpg
    681z954t8dw8.jpg

2ta6okfm7qzk.jpg

• SCompRacer
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Wow! Only $29K!

wv5n5btkcx2y.jpg
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    joebass3 wrote: »

Nice! I made some of these for a batch of cassette tapes I have. Maybe I'll try a couple for LP's also.

gey4iqaiy3z5.jpg
    681z954t8dw8.jpg

2ta6okfm7qzk.jpg

Great job!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options

Might as well pick a few up, myself...
    uqcgbzyvagyl.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Might as well pick a few up, myself...
    uqcgbzyvagyl.jpg

He does some gorgeous work but man, I want the pockets some of his customers have!