Lets talk Sample rates.

Options

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,694
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    Clearly you didn't pay any attention in your chemistry class. Why wouldn't the differences in the compounds between metals make a difference on how the sound is transmitted?

I believe he isn't scheduled to take chemistry until next semester.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It’s been a while since a good ‘ol cable debate.

I used to “follow the science”… now I follow my ears….

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    It’s been a while since a good ‘ol cable debate.

I used to “follow the science”… now I follow my ears….

Follow the science it will change sooner or later.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    @ChrisD06
    Please explain to those on this forum (whom you have managed to summarily piss off) just what ACTUAL EXPERIENCE that you have in listening to differences in cables and/or different mastering/sampling rates???
    YOU ARE BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION 17 YEARS OLD AND HAVING THE GUMPTION, THE AUDACITY, THE UNMITIGATED GALL to come on here and start arguments with guys who are old enough to be your father or grandfather and act like you know what you are talking about.

Son just stop.

I promise these peoples ACTUAL EXPERIENCE will trump your "facts" that you are quoting (*which someone else wrote*) every single time.

AGAIN WHAT ACTUAL EXPERIENCE HAVE YOU????
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    "I believe he isn't scheduled to take chemistry until next semester."

True that may be!

I'm no Chemist by far! But I do have Chemist in my family and when we are at the Thanksgiving diner table and they're talking about chemical compounds and there complexities it blows my mind and the best part is even though I don't know a fraction of what they are talking about I'm still learning something from them.

I'm Still learning as I go in audio and sound reproduction and it's fun and a roller-coaster ride. I feel like audio reproduction is my chemistry. I may not be able to afford the "best" but experimenting has given me in insight into the possibilities. Until you do that (interest and budget in mind) do this:

"Again, you don't have to believe it, or even fully understand it. You do, however, need your own experiences. Give yourself 5-15yrs after you start your career. If you're still interested in audio, blow a little hard earned money on yourself and your system(s). Post back."
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited October 2023
    Options
    GENTLEMEN I PROMISE YOU THIS CHILD IS PLAYING GAMES JUST TO GET ATTENTION AND GUFFAWS AND YOU ALL NEED TO IGNORE HIM FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.
    Post edited by honestaquarian on
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    What was this thread about again? :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    It WAS about sampling rates, but then SOMEONE decided to go down the cable rabbit hole and then......................................................................
  • HzTweaker
    edited October 2023
    Options
    (Clears throat)

I'd fine it exceptional if I could buy an album (being that its the same album) in different SRs example: 44.1, 88.2 and 192khz and compare them all so I can report my findings.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I'm way ahead of you. I have Michael Jackson's Thriller on CD and ripped it to a WAV file.
    Then I found a 24/88.2 copy on HDTracks.com.
    THEN I found a DSD copy on the now defunct superhirez.com.
    I had a non audiophile coworker over once and I played for him the DSD file of Lady in my life. Then played to 24/88.2 and he was like "okay thats fine. I don't hear much difference." THEN I played to WAV file and he was like "OH HELL NO". So I played them all again and now he hears more of a difference.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I preferred the sound of these inexpensive ($320/8ft pair) silver coated copper braided speaker wires in my system vs regular copper.

Which ones, Drew? I wasn't able to remotely activate your webcam at the time of your posting to see which ones you were talking about. I was able to later though. Side note: your cat's litter box needs attention, and those new sofa cushions are awful!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Next it's going to be that dac control chips do not make a difference.
    I mean who needs an ESS saber ES9038PRO dac when the lowly Texas instruments dac will work just as well, or hey maybe a Burr Brown or Wolfson, I mean that science says they can't be different because it's just one's and zeros.

Good grief.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    I'll do you all one better. What if I go buy some pure 6 AWG copper wire (used for electric ranges), shield it with aluminum foil, and then see if I can hear the difference over that vs 18 AWG RCA CCA speaker wire?

There isn't an 'audiophile grade speaker cable' in the world that could match it in terms of conductivity, power transfer, and low resistance

First off, speaker cable is not shielded as there is no need. As for the rest of your thoughts...well, those that don't know don't know that they don't know and you don't know.
    Also as for the cables, I'll stick to what the science says….

There is a guy on here that years ago thought the same as you. He had much better gear than you, but was using generic patch cords, power cords, etc. Despite folks trying to show him the errors of his ways he, like you, found every reason in the book to poo poo better cables. Fast forward, he now has some of, if not, the most expensive cables of anyone here and freely admits he was wrong about cables.

As a dear departed member and friend was known to say, "Everything matters".

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    Options
    I'm way ahead of you. I have Michael Jackson's Thriller on CD and ripped it to a WAV file.
    Then I found a 24/88.2 copy on HDTracks.com.
    THEN I found a DSD copy on the now defunct superhirez.com.
    I had a non audiophile coworker over once and I played for him the DSD file of Lady in my life. Then played to 24/88.2 and he was like "okay thats fine. I don't hear much difference." THEN I played to WAV file and he was like "OH HELL NO". So I played them all again and now he hears more of a difference.

This is awesome insight.

I Have multiple flac files ranging in SRs none being the same album but I have tried my comparison starting at 44.1khz and when up the range. When I was trying to hear the difference I'd go from 44.1khz to 192Khz then back to 44.1 Khz only to find myself wanting to finish my listening session to albums in 192Khz.

I think be able to listen to the same album in multiple SRs will give me a better understanding why that is.
  • msg
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    (Clears throat)

I'd fine it exceptional if I could buy an album (being that its the same album) in different SRs example: 44.1, 88.2 and 192khz and compare them all so I can report my findings.

I was working on a response yesterday eve to one of your earlier posts, and had this question actually - whether your downloads were the same album/track in different resolutions.

I was writing on mobile, though, which I can't stand, so didn't get to finish writing properly. I saved it out, though. I'll see where we left off since then, and maybe post the remainder. There were a lot of good contributions between then and now! What a fun thread! Lotta action, and we haven't had a good derail in a while, eh?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Also as for the cables, I'll stick to what the science says….
    There is a guy on here that years ago thought the same as you. He had much better gear than you, but was using generic patch cords, power cords, etc. Despite folks trying to show him the errors of his ways he, like you, found every reason in the book to poo poo better cables. Fast forward, he now has some of, if not, the most expensive cables of anyone here and freely admits he was wrong about cables.
    And - he's a science guy.

I disabled signatures.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I wonder how many of you old-timers were much different than ChrisD06 at age 17? (Thinking you knew more than you actually did at that age.)

Schiit, most young people stream mp3s.

At least he’s here. He’ll learn more with time and exposure to the forum.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2023
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of you old-timers were much different than ChrisD06 at age 17? (Thinking you knew more than you actually did at that age.)

I definitely thought I did.

I also had an immense amount of respect to those much older than I and didn't dismiss their experiences out of hand. Most of the older relatives and others also said what worked for them may not be my experience so I should experiment to find what works best for myself. That being said I did have two uncles who were deep into audio. One was straight up McIntosh junky ( I wish I had his gear today). The other had a stack of Nikko stuff, both were great in their own way. Once again stuff was much different in the 70's, there was no monster cable and most speaker wire may have been 18ga, maybe. I know it was tiny. I also remember the TV channels, we had many, no actually there were only 3, ABC, NBC and CBS. At 11-12 at night they all signed off the air and came back on at 7-7:30 a.m. so from sign off to sign on you got the lovely test pattern 😁.

Unfortunately if @ChrisD06 continues to dismiss everything out of hand and keeps a closed mind he's not going to learn. My experience at the Axpona and Rocky mountain audio fest taught me a TON. I've heard multi-million dollar systems that I would not pay $100 for, but I also know those people that do fund that kind of equipment the technology trickles down to gear and wire I can afford. So thanks to those folks who have that deep pockets! I've also heard low budget stuff at those audio festivals that have blown me out of my chair! Once again if I had gone into those festivals with a very closed mind, I would have learned nothing. What is very cool about the festivals is getting to actually talk to the designer and builders of the gear. To hear them talk about their failures before they struck gold so to speak is very informative. To hear them talk about something so simple they may of had a preconceived notion then to be proven wrong is also very important to hear. It goes to prove that even their highly sophisticated abilities can be fouled by preconceived mindsets.

My .02
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I definitely thought I did.

I also had an immense amount of respect to those much older than I and didn't dismiss their experiences out of hand. Most of the older relatives and others also said what worked for them may not be my experience so I should experiment to find what works best for myself. That being said I did have two uncles who were deep into audio. One was straight up McIntosh junky ( I wish I had his gear today). The other had a stack of Nikko stuff, both were great in their own way. Once again stuff was much different in the 70's, there was no monster cable and most speaker wire may have been 18ga, maybe. I know it was tiny. I also remember the TV channels, we had many, no actually there were only 3, ABC, NBC and CBS. At 11-12 at night they all signed off the air and came back on at 7-7:30 a.m. so from sign off to sign on you got the lovely test pattern 😁.

Unfortunately if @ChrisD06 continues to dismiss everything out of hand and keeps a closed mind he's not going to learn. My experience at the Axpona and Rocky mountain audio fest taught me a TON. I've heard multi-million dollar systems that I would not pay $100 for, but I also know those people that do fund that kind of equipment the technology trickles down to gear and wire I can afford. So thanks to those folks who have that deep pockets! I've also heard low budget stuff at those audio festivals that have blown me out of my chair! Once again if I had gone into those festivals with a very closed mind, I would have learned nothing. What is very cool about the festivals is getting to actually talk to the designer and builders of the gear. To hear them talk about their failures before they struck gold so to speak is very informative. To hear them talk about something so simple they may of had a preconceived notion then to be proven wrong is also very important to hear. It goes to prove that even their highly sophisticated abilities can be fouled by preconceived mindsets.

My .02

Yeah, I agree. I’m just advocating for the kid; a person offended is harder to be won than a strong city.

Beating someone over the head will make many dig in harder on their stance.

Older men should have thicker skin than a teenager is all I’m getting at; I mean with all that life experience and wisdom.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    xx3mfirssunf.gif

^^^ Case in point ^^^

So precious. Let me find you some tissues.

• HzTweaker
    Options
    Good morning audio community.

There's a new (free) Hi-res Sampler from HDtracks in various sample rates. It's downloaded and I'll be checking it out after lunch. Whos doesn't like free music?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    xx3mfirssunf.gif

^^^ Case in point ^^^

LOL!! Taking it a little personal are you? I don’t think I aimed this at anyone in my post now did I?
    But look at you taking it like a champ.

Here you go my little buddy, I will let you hit the ball next, I promise. You’re the one needing it.. LOL!!

d6dpggwathpj.gif

• jbreezy5
    Options
    xx3mfirssunf.gif

^^^ Case in point ^^^

LOL!! Taking it a little personal are you? I don’t think I aimed this at anyone in my post now did I?

Here you go my little buddy, I will let you hit the ball next, I promise. You’re the one needing it.. LOL!!

d6dpggwathpj.gif

Contextually it’s the logical assumption. And glad to see you have a box already. You can keep them precious. 😂

• Toolfan66
    Options
    xx3mfirssunf.gif

^^^ Case in point ^^^

d6dpggwathpj.gif

Contextually it’s the logical assumption. And glad to see you have a box already. You can keep them precious. 😂

And look at you making case in point, Fancying yourself a comedian. That's so cute..

• jbreezy5
    edited October 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Chris, I would advise to you to drop it. You are a one man band with your opinion on this and you are wrong.

You can twist the words, quite people on the internet and find all kinds of videos of cable deniers all over the web.

What you are doing here is losing respect. Fast.

Most of the people here not only know about utilizing different metallurgy within their cabling, they use it. That includes me.

We do not appreciate being labeled as, "believers" and having our experiences chalked up to a placebo effect and that we are delusional with what we hear.

I would advise getting your ears on things before you prance around this forum to save us from our delusions. You are quite simply showing the world how wildly inexperienced you are.

There are other forums out there where you can go and stroke each other's monkeys, pat each other on the back and talk all the smack you want about how cables don't make a difference and that all amplifiers sound the same. This is not one of them.

I would suggest going there because you are not making any friends here. We love to help people out along their audio journey but with your attitude and way of making friends?

Tom

tmak5q6dkg83.png

Behold Tom’s condescending behavior I called him out on some time ago. Not an insult, just an observable fact.

Judging by the 5 “agree” clicks he got on the above post, it’s safe to say there is plenty of “monkey stroking” (to borrow Tom’s words) going on in this forum.

Toolfan, don’t forget to go back and de-select your “agree” click.

Now I’m being a comedian. 😂😂😂

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Yeah you are, but not a funny one.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Okay, so I just finished listening to the sampler. The first few songs are in 192 and 96khz. Then switches to 48Khz and I can hear the differences. It's almost like the sound is veiled. This was most obvious When it went on to the next track and it was in 96khz again.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    The dac is everything, one of the most important pieces. Particularly more so then cables or amps because those all sound the same.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    6rvofnaxpcs3.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM