Front Speaker placement height (RTI-A3)

Options
Should I use the tweeter as my reference point or the whole speaker itself? Should I set the height in reference to the midpoint of the screen or my viewing ear height? My center channel is positioned directly above the top of the screen. Due to space limitations, my A3's are placed directly on either side of the screen. My humble opinion is that the front speakers (or possibly tweeters) need to be at mid-screen height to center the sound on the screen, or possibly lower to create a sound triangle with my center channel. My viewing position is 10' away.
Polk RTIA3 Fronts
Polk CSIA4 Center
Polk PSW Sub
Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
And a friendly Labrador Retriever

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,896
    Options
    Why don't you try the different positions to find out what sounds best to you. One tip about the center, tilt it down slighty.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• toolbelt
    Options
    The only repositioning I can do is raise or lower the fronts. I have no option to move them horizontally. My existing stands were built for my old RTI4's which were less tall, so that's placing the A3's towards the top half of the screen and nearer the centre channel. I seem to be getting less channel separation as all 3 speakers are within 2-3 feet of each other. I plan on making new stands out of cherry (which my neighbour's shop has ample leftover cutoffs to provide), and I was hoping to at least get a starting point as far as height is concerned, and then fine tune the height one in place. I can always cut them shorter but I can't cut them longer. :D
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • F1nut
    Options
    You still need to tilt the center down.

As for the L/R, ideally you want the tweeters are ear height.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• toolbelt
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

The center is only about 2' above my listening position, as I only have a 40" or 42" Big (if I can use that term) Screen on a stand, and the center speaker is literally an inch above it. Would tilting it make a noticeable difference in sound?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,502
    Options
    In my mancave I added a HT set up. I had a center channel above the screen on a shelf angled downward to my listening spot. Worked great. Made shelf and raised back on center speaker up. Put a strip in front so it didn't slide down. Sometimes you have no choices.
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    Options
    toolbelt wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

The center is only about 2' above my listening position, as I only have a 40" or 42" Big (if I can use that term) Screen on a stand, and the center speaker is literally an inch above it. Would tilting it make a noticeable difference in sound?

It wouldn't hurt to try it. That way YOU know. :)

President of Club Polk

• toolbelt
    Options
    I think lowering my fronts is the first issue as my sound seems centered on the top 1/4 of my screen as my tweeters and center channel are blending a bit too high. I can easily tilt my center as well.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I think lowering my fronts is the first issue as my sound seems centered on the top 1/4 of my screen as my tweeters and center channel are blending a bit too high. I can easily tilt my center as well.

Generally my way of setting up speakers is tweeter at ear level, and the distance between both speakers should be the same distance between one of the speakers and you, creating an equilateral triangle.

Then I toe in the speakers (tilt them inwards) and make the tweeters point directly behind your head, a laser pointer could help with this.

Tilting a center 1 or 2 inches DOES make a difference. I'm lucky enough that my center tweeter is at ear level, I've experimented with raising it before and 2 inches made a noticeable difference in the high frequency response.

Just screw around and find what you like most. Generally you want to be on axis to the tweeter, which is why you should tilt your center.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I would think screen position would play a role no? If your screen is 5' off the floor and your ears are 3.5' up, wouldn't placing them at ear height cause the sound to be centered below the screen. Shouldn't the visuals and audio be centered? I realize the center channel handles a lot of the vocals but the fronts share duty as well?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I would think screen position would play a role no? If your screen is 5' off the floor and your ears are 3.5' up, wouldn't placing them at ear height cause the sound to be centered below the screen. Shouldn't the visuals and audio be centered? I realize the center channel handles a lot of the vocals but the fronts share duty as well?

Well I find the tweeter determines the Soundstage height, but the other problem is simply due to the fact that tweeters have a steeper frequency roll off the further off axis you get. In theory yes you'd want them to be on the same level, but sometimes you've got to compromise and I'd take the sound over the visual/audio stage matching.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but it drives me bonkers when voices aren't centered on the lips saying them. I think lowering my fronts so the tweeters are at ear height will help a lot, or possibly slightly lower and let the centre channel pull the sound up to mid-screen. I kinda anticipated having to modify my existing front stands (or building new ones) as the A3's are much taller than the RTI4's they replaced. The A3's tweeters are about 4 inches below the top of the screen and likely 6-8"'s above ear height.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but it drives me bonkers when voices aren't centered on the lips saying them. I think lowering my fronts so the tweeters are at ear height will help a lot, or possibly slightly lower and let the centre channel pull the sound up to mid-screen. I kinda anticipated having to modify my existing front stands (or building new ones) as the A3's are much taller than the RTI4's they replaced. The A3's tweeters are about 4 inches below the top of the screen and likely 6-8"'s above ear height.

The center channel will not pull the sound up, it'll warp the Soundstage.

As something pans from left to right you'll notice it go from being lower, to higher, to lower in terms of height.

My personal setup doesn't have the tweeters at ear height but it's due to the planned room setup.
    For your setup, I already gave my recommendations, but do whatever you find sounds best to you. All sound is subjective, except objectively bad sound.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,166
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Front stage with RTiA3's as heights..

nk2ccfcnnk2y.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    @OP, my bad, misread the post....thought you were looking at placement for "height" speakers......
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • toolbelt
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    @OP, my bad, misread the post....thought you were looking at placement for "height" speakers......

With all those drivers, is there any paint left on your walls? ;)
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ken brydson
    Options

I visited @Geoff4rfc 's abode when he lived in WA. The paint was fine but the drywall was definitely in jeopardy 😂
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options

I visited @Geoff4rfc 's abode when he lived in WA. The paint was fine but the drywall was definitely in jeopardy 😂

Ken, I really wish you could check it out now....11 speakers AND, both subs. One of my racing trophies bit the dust in my office. the LFE scooted it right off it's shelf. Not to mention, okay, I'll mention it, I was watching Man of Steel when my next door neighbor rings my doorbell and says..."hey neighbor, you rocking out???" I almost rattled their bedroom window out of it's sill......of course, I had my subs turned up unusually high that day :D

• sm1th5
    Options
    Are the fronts separated enough so it hits 30 degrees?

If you find them blending in with he center check if there's a 30 degree difference between the front and center speaker.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,066
    Options
    Ok,
    For a Projector screen, placing the center channel above the screen is completely fine. If you look at the screen and forget about placement, you brain will trick you into believing the sound is coming right out of the screen.

For the left and right channels years ago, we use to follow a 2 ft rule. The Tweeter on the center should not be further away than 2 feet. So it didn't matter if the center was top or bottom, as long as the tweeters where within 2 ft in height from each other, it always sounded great.

Now as far as positioning the tweeters in the center of the screen as a center reference, yeah I do that and it always works out excellent. This also goes away most of the time from the 2 ft rule. The larger the screen the more the 2 ft rule can't be applies UNLESS the screen is a micro Perf design.

I actually like the best performance of the front end of a surround system to have all the tweeters at the same height.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    sm1th5 wrote: »
    Are the fronts separated enough so it hits 30 degrees?

If you find them blending in with he center check if there's a 30 degree difference between the front and center speaker.

They're separated only by a 40" tv, so at 10' away, I'm likely 5 degrees off from the fronts and 10 degrees of the center channel.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • toolbelt
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Ok,
    For a Projector screen, placing the center channel above the screen is completely fine. If you look at the screen and forget about placement, you brain will trick you into believing the sound is coming right out of the screen.

For the left and right channels years ago, we use to follow a 2 ft rule. The Tweeter on the center should not be further away than 2 feet. So it didn't matter if the center was top or bottom, as long as the tweeters where within 2 ft in height from each other, it always sounded great.

Now as far as positioning the tweeters in the center of the screen as a center reference, yeah I do that and it always works out excellent. This also goes away most of the time from the 2 ft rule. The larger the screen the more the 2 ft rule can't be applies UNLESS the screen is a micro Perf design.

I actually like the best performance of the front end of a surround system to have all the tweeters at the same height.

I'm familiar with stereo setup, but obviously the screen height should have some influence on vertical positioning of the fronts. I'm going to try to position my tweeters at the middle of the screen and work down from there. My tv midpoint is probably 10-12" above my ear height. I tried lowering the output of the center channel last night, and that's helping, but my current tweeter height is around the top 1/4 of the screen.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,066
    Options
    Ok,

I'm familiar with stereo setup, but obviously the screen height should have some influence on vertical positioning of the fronts. I'm going to try to position my tweeters at the middle of the screen and work down from there. My tv midpoint is probably 10-12" above my ear height. I tried lowering the output of the center channel last night, and that's helping, but my current tweeter height is around the top 1/4 of the screen.
    What?
    Are you not calibrating your system? Ok refresh me, what AVR or Preamp are you using?
    Placement is very important but calibration is everything. If you don't calibrate your system I don't care how perfect you position your speakers, your system will not perform correctly. Both go hand and hand but I can fix poor placement with calibration not the other way around.

Talk to me about your calibration procedure.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Ok,

What?
    Are you not calibrating your system? Ok refresh me, what AVR or Preamp are you using?
    Placement is very important but calibration is everything. If you don't calibrate your system I don't care how perfect you position your speakers, your system will not perform correctly. Both go hand and hand but I can fix poor placement with calibration not the other way around.

Mantis, what calibration are you referring to? The only calibration I'm aware of is crossover points and distances of each speaker. I've not found this to fix poor staging.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    ]
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Ok,

What?

Mantis, what calibration are you referring to? The only calibration I'm aware of is crossover points and distances of each speaker. I've not found this to fix poor staging.

Yes I use the Pioneer MCACC? thingy to calibrate, but as you stated, it only measures distances and output, put not necessarily angles and such. If I wasn't limited by my corner setup wedged between a fireplace and a french door, I would definitely benefit by more speaker separation. It all fits in with maybe 1/4" to spare. My two fronts and center channel are squeezed into a 3' x 3' space at the most so the sound is less directional and more blended. It's almost like I just turbocharged the tv's built-in sound.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ]
    Ok,

What?

Yes I use the Pioneer MCACC? thingy to calibrate, but as you stated, it only measures distances and output, put not necessarily angles and such. If I wasn't limited by my corner setup wedged between a fireplace and a french door, I would definitely benefit by more speaker separation. It all fits in with maybe 1/4" to spare. My two fronts and center channel are squeezed into a 3' x 3' space at the most so the sound is less directional and more blended. It's almost like I just turbocharged the tv's built-in sound.

You know this is gonna probably infuriate a few people but I only toe in the front speakers. I find the surrounds don't need toe in as it can ruin the experience for other listeners who aren't in your exact optimal listening position.

Input your distances and set crossover to be 10Hz above the -3dB point.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,725
    Options
    You know this is gonna probably infuriate a few people . . . .

4avip0prlryh.gif

• ChrisD06
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    You know this is gonna probably infuriate a few people . . . .

4avip0prlryh.gif

LOL I hope there aren't any SJWs on here, else I might be cancelled on twitter...
  • F1nut
    Options
    I hope there aren't any SJWs on here
    There are.

President of Club Polk

• toolbelt
    Options
    ]
    Ok,

What?

You know this is gonna probably infuriate a few people but I only toe in the front speakers. I find the surrounds don't need toe in as it can ruin the experience for other listeners who aren't in your exact optimal listening position.

I can't even toe as the base of the front speaker stands are flush against the sides of the corner unit and the back corners are touching the baseboards. Things are literally that tight. I know how to adjust distances or +/- db outputs, and the crossover point for the sub, but I suspect you are talking about something different?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ]
    Ok,

What?

I can't even toe as the base of the front speaker stands are flush against the sides of the corner unit and the back corners are touching the baseboards. Things are literally that tight. I know how to adjust distances or +/- db outputs, and the crossover point for the sub, but I suspect you are talking about something different?

I'm referring to the subwoofer crossover.

There's LFE crossover and the high pass filter for the speakers. The high pass filter should be 10Hz above -3dB, or at least, that's my general rule of thumb.

I set my LFE to 120Hz and set my subs to 80Hz on the variable low pass filter for a nicer blend, but if you have full range fronts (your RTiA3 are what Id consider full range enough) and want to use your subwoofers for video content mostly/only, then set it to 80Hz.