LSIM vs Reserve

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello everyone,
Anyone own both series or heard them side by side? I wonder how the stack up against each other.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    Can't comment on sound as I have not heard the Reserve series at all, but I will say that you should factor in product support.

Polk has essentially zero spare LSiM parts, and I don't believe they're stocking any more. If a tweeter blows or something, your best bet is Midwest and event then, pray the component is available.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Can't comment on sound as I have not heard the Reserve series at all, but I will say that you should factor in product support if you're considering purchasing one or the other.

Polk has essentially zero spare LSiM parts, and I don't believe they're stocking any more. If a tweeter blows or something, your best bet is Midwest and event then, pray the component is available.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    Can't comment on sound as I have not heard the Reserve series at all, but I will say that you should factor in product support.

This is if you're considering purchasing one or the other, I should add.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    It appears I have now sent 3 damn messages so I'm going to stop trying to edit anything for gods sake. I have no idea what happened there
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    @ChrisD06 - would you be able to weigh in on this?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    @emlyn...
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Dan, are you considering a full set of one or the other model lines, or a particular model?

I've only heard the R200 in comparison to LSiM 703s and 705s.

I found the R200 to more placement dependent than the 703s, however, when placed well out into the room, I liked them better than well and long-loved 703s, which was a big surprise to me.

Back in the BR system, closer to the wall, I thought the R200 sucked, and the 703 was more pleasing.

The bottom ported Reserves would likely not exhibit this problem. I will say, though, regarding bottom porting on the Legend, not Reserve, I found them to require open space around the base otherwise they sounded congested and lacking in bass clarity.

I always thought the LSiM was still a little hot up top with high-heavy rock, for instance. That would be one of my metrics for comparing the other Reserve models to LSiM. For other genres, it wasn't as pronounced.
    I disabled signatures.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    Definitely curious myself. I love my R200s, but haven't heard the LSiM. I wonder what other tweeters that Polk have used in other models that can compete with their current one in the Reserve and Legend line.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    If sound is the only consideration the Reserve line is the better choice than LSiM speakers. More clarity, better center imaging, punchier bass, distortion minimized compared to the LSiM line. The LSiM was a major improvement over the LSi line and the Legend and Reserve lines are major improvements over the LSiM line in terms of performance. Polk's engineers took what they learned with the LSiM line and invested to make everything better for the Legend line. The Reserve line is trickle down from that but comes across to me as being compromised by the cost cutting in cabinet structure. They are solidly aimed at undercutting the competition for performance though.

Cosmetically the LSiM are way better looking than the Reserve speakers. Remember the LSiM speakers were quite expensive when the first arrived at full price. People lost perspective on the quality of them because of the price cuts at the end of production.

The Legend speakers are better than the LSiM in looks and performance. I would recommend skipping the Reserve line based on the cosmetics and go for the Legend if cosmetics are a concern. Wait for a sale.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Cosmetically the LSiM are way better looking than the Reserve speakers. Remember the LSiM speakers were quite expensive when the first arrived at full price. People lost perspective on the quality of them because of the price cuts at the end of production.

To be fair, cosmetics are purely personal preference. I honestly like the Reserve more myself, but the LSiM are absolute works of art.

Can I ask how the R200 stack up to the LSiM703? If you know, of course. To be honest, I find it hard to imagine Polk's current high-end flagship (just below the legend) beating out their older top of the line flagship, especially considering it's 3-way (though this doesn't always mean much).
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    LSiM better then the LSi series is iffy. I have heard the LSi9 and several others with a little bit of modification and..... yeah I dunno! The LSi series is a great series from Polk, especially with some solid crossover upgrades.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    The LSi9 were the best of that line for sure.

The R200s are cleaner and leaner sounding than the LSiM703. More accurate. They also seem quite a bit easier to drive.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    LSiM better then the LSi series is iffy. I have heard the LSi9 and several others with a little bit of modification and..... yeah I dunno! The LSi series is a great series from Polk, especially with some solid crossover upgrades.

I can second this. My upgraded LSi9s sound fantastic to my ears, but I have no experience with the R or L series so I'm out. lol.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Haven't heard the Reserve Line. Had the LSiM 705's and now L600's, the tweeter is much better than the 705's tweeter and the L600 is just a much better speaker overall. No comparison, at least to me.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mantis
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Dan, are you considering a full set of one or the other model lines, or a particular model?

I've only heard the R200 in comparison to LSiM 703s and 705s.

I found the R200 to more placement dependent than the 703s, however, when placed well out into the room, I liked them better than well and long-loved 703s, which was a big surprise to me.

Back in the BR system, closer to the wall, I thought the R200 sucked, and the 703 was more pleasing.

The bottom ported Reserves would likely not exhibit this problem. I will say, though, regarding bottom porting on the Legend, not Reserve, I found them to require open space around the base otherwise they sounded congested and lacking in bass clarity.

I always thought the LSiM was still a little hot up top with high-heavy rock, for instance. That would be one of my metrics for comparing the other Reserve models to LSiM. For other genres, it wasn't as pronounced.
    Since I never really got to hear either line except the LSIM703's which I had for a while and thought they where bright and not well balanced. I didn't have LSI anymore when I had them so I wasn't able to compare my LSI 7 or LSI 9's to them. But from memory, The LSIM 703's might have had a better over all sound to them but the LSI's again from memory had a more balanced sound.

The Reserve's I just want to hear them so I have some experience with them. They get talked up by everyone who reviews them and I just want to see what all the hype is.

I don't see myself owning them, I hate the finishes except the White, and I'm really not into White speakers. I think they can look really good in the right environment but I'd prefer a different finish.

The Legend line I only heard the L200's and they where nicely impressive. I put a review up on those back then I was in that program where they came around and we all got to try them out.

I wish someone would do that with the Reserve, I want to sit down with them and really dig in.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    If sound is the only consideration the Reserve line is the better choice than LSiM speakers. More clarity, better center imaging, punchier bass, distortion minimized compared to the LSiM line. The LSiM was a major improvement over the LSi line and the Legend and Reserve lines are major improvements over the LSiM line in terms of performance. Polk's engineers took what they learned with the LSiM line and invested to make everything better for the Legend line. The Reserve line is trickle down from that but comes across to me as being compromised by the cost cutting in cabinet structure. They are solidly aimed at undercutting the competition for performance though.

The Legend speakers are better than the LSiM in looks and performance. I would recommend skipping the Reserve line based on the cosmetics and go for the Legend if cosmetics are a concern. Wait for a sale.

Cosmetically I have to agree, I'm not really happy with the Reserve line in this regard. But again no real world experience with them so I can only go off video and pictures.
    Dan
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    If you're located near me I'd be happy to have you give my R200's a listen. I'm a big fan.

I haven't heard the Legends but at some point I'd really like to see if I could tell a difference.
  • mantis
    Options
    chrispyfur wrote: »
    If you're located near me I'd be happy to have you give my R200's a listen. I'm a big fan.

I haven't heard the Legends but at some point I'd really like to see if I could tell a difference.
    Im in PA just north of Philadelphia .

Dan
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    I'm near Buffalo, about 6 hours or so
  • msg
    Options
    bcqg5w1ztt5a.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,695
    Options
    chrispyfur wrote: »
    I'm near Buffalo, about 6 hours or so

Off we're going to shuffle,
    Shuffle off to Buffalo.

• chrispyfur
    Options
    bcqg5w1ztt5a.jpg

I've said before this is a lonely hobby. But that wasn't exactly what I had in mind!
  • msg
    Options
    To clarify, that's chrispy and Dan, L to R.

This is a loose representation of how that listening session would go. Leonardo had a boner for sure - irrefutable - but that's not to imply that chrispy does in this representation. Dan might, though, because he's hearing R200s in a near field setup, approx 4ft equilateral triangle, 256 miles from any walls, and shored up by a nice music-first sub, all run by a sweet, dual mono integrated, some preferred AQ SCs, and source capable of at least 320k audio, likely better.
    o3gm9p1h48y4.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    Leonardo had a boner for sure - irrefutable - but that's not to imply that chrispy does in this representation.
    o3gm9p1h48y4.png

Well, if I didn't before I certainly do now...
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The LSi9 were the best of that line for sure.

The R200s are cleaner and leaner sounding than the LSiM703. More accurate. They also seem quite a bit easier to drive.

Actually Lsic was the best of that line up. ;)
    Lsi9 had a bit deeper bass, but boomier bass, and more uneven (slightly) upper mid and treble.

I have 2 Lsic standing upright and they are incredible with a sub!

Differences are MINOR if anyone gets offended or disagrees, but in a shoot out with music and also using Pink noise, the Lsic was slightly better every time, as far as sounding a tad more neutral and having a "bit" more clarity etc.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Air core inductors clean up the mids and bass tremendously.

Well worth the investment. I think after market crossovers also take up enough room in the enclosure to slightly change the tuning.

Have heard several lsi9 fully modded and they no longer have the weird bass and mid bass
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Lsim703 in my limited experiences had a bit of a boosted treble range up top.

While it did sound great overall, they voiced it to sound a bit more trebly to give it that "more detailed" sound some like.

Lsi9 had a much more neutral and not boosted treble. Same with Lsi15. They do not sound "impressive", but are better as long term listening for less fatigue.
  • msg
    Options
    I had a similar impression with 703s vs LSi7s re: the treble up top. It was fine until I was listening to some highs-heavy rock, as a range and character example. Not very comfortable at moderate to higher levels, and could sound thin at lower listening levels unless the 703s were placed for room trickery.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Options
    I remember liking the LSI7's over the LSI9's which I had both. I always thought the LSI9's got sloppy in the bass. They sounded much better when you removed bass from them.
    Dan