Fake call

Options

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I saw the gift-card scam almost happen 3x at a former company. Two of the users thought it was strange and asked me about it before acting. One, an intelligent person, was in line at Walgreens on her way before she began to think something wasn't right. In that case, the scammer just happened to use our primary owner's contact info, and he was known for fiery temper if he became frustrated. Social engineering at its finest. The scammer had no idea just how much of an advantage they had that time.
    Jstas wrote: »
    ...aside from the gift card scam which is pretty benign in the grand scheme of things, it's basically digital pan handling, most times the random call is just to establish that there is a real person there on that line and then they market it as active. Then they sell your number along with every other foolish person who answered the phone or responded to a text and you get pummeled with spam calls from everyone who paid for the contact list of active numbers.
    yeap.

I disabled signatures.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

With the computer support scam, that gets sketchy but the reality is that the software they have you put on is typically just an app that makes it hard for you to use your system. It's buried deep and the only ways to turn it off are to do some really fancy IT work or to pay for their "spyware removal" and get the code that turns the software off. The payment they are asking is usually way cheaper than paying an IT person. The thing is, that software never really goes away and they can actually turn it back on at any time and make you pay more to get it turned off. While having the software on your system is mostly used for easy targets to get them to willfully give you money for a "service" that "works every time", the problem is, it's a back door and there are people with more nefarious ideas that can exploit that back door. The scammers can too but that makes it a harder target. Either way, don't fall for it. The biggest clue they have is that they will say something like your computer is sending out problematic messages and they found them. Sometimes they will try to threaten you with legal action but most times they are trying to be benevolent and help you. Either way, there's no way that they would be able to do/see what they are saying unless they knew exactly what the bad software was doing and where because they are involved with it.

I was getting ready to do a fresh Windows 10 install years ago on a new hard drive and before I installed the new drive I got one of those Microsoft calls saying there was problems with my computer. I had heard they hijack your computer and I was curious what they did so I followed his instructions. It hijacked my computer and wouldn't let me log in to Windows, so some of the software they install is much worst than others. What they installed on mine was telling me to send them money to unlock my computer when I rebooted my computer. That's when I started using a whistle on them when they called again.
    Needless to say I formatted that drive and used other hard drive programs to completely clean that drive before used it again.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    I would have cleaned it with a hammer and a 3/8" drill bit......

But that's just me!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Everybody should be fully aware. If someone calls from Microsoft
    It's a scam. Microsoft never helps anybody ever. Customer service?
    What's that?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    What's that?

I actually have had Microsoft help me over the phone. I called because I was trying to download a windows ISO and I couldn't, so the lady on the phone took control of my computer and actually did download the ISO for me and everything was fine.

Mild blunder, she used the inspect element tool to find some dev options on the download page which gives you access to every single possible configuration of windows ever and at a really high download speed (so long as your internet handles it). I abused that for a LONG time lol
  • msg
    Options
    Is there anything you can't do or don't excel at? Seriously, I'm awestruck. Where do you live, anyway? We should go camping sometime.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    We should go camping sometime.

hot.
  • msg
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    We should go camping sometime.

hot.

You're not invited. Your ilk did enough to coastal Scotland. I do thank you for the beard, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Handle these calls like Tom Mabe. It's what Keiko does. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    What's that?

It's funny 'cause it's true
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Is there anything you can't do or don't excel at? Seriously, I'm awestruck. Where do you live, anyway? We should go camping sometime.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Camping would be cool, just as long as we avoid the flash floods and wildfires... what a summer it's been.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    [quote="ChrisD06".[/quote]

.[/quote]

Yes, I see, it's all starting to come together.
    So how long have you known Tom Mabe ? 🤔
    Sal Palooza
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    [quote="ChrisD06".

.[/quote]

Yes, I see, it's all starting to come together.
    So how long have you known Tom Mabe ? 🤔[/quote]

I don't get it...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    Keep that attitude up and you will !

( he says vigorously in a somewhat threatening yet charmful .manner )
    Sal Palooza
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    What's that?

I actually have had Microsoft help me over the phone. I called because I was trying to download a windows ISO and I couldn't, so the lady on the phone took control of my computer and actually did download the ISO for me and everything was fine.

Mild blunder, she used the inspect element tool to find some dev options on the download page which gives you access to every single possible configuration of windows ever and at a really high download speed (so long as your internet handles it). I abused that for a LONG time lol

Honestly, did this actually happen? It sounds to me more like you had a fever dream.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What's that?

Honestly, did this actually happen? It sounds to me more like you had a fever dream.

No it genuinely did. I don't understand why this sounds so unbelievable. Microsoft does remote computer control all the time.

I was using the old EdgeView 2 based browser, not the newer Chromium based one, in the download page it let you select every version of windows in the developer options of the web page (F12 or Shift+I) and it was a direct download from Microsoft.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options

No it genuinely did. I don't understand why this sounds so unbelievable. Microsoft does remote computer control all the time.

I was using the old EdgeView 2 based browser, not the newer Chromium based one, in the download page it let you select every version of windows in the developer options of the web page (F12 or Shift+I) and it was a direct download from Microsoft.

I mean no disrespect at all....but your posts lately been given off a Polkfarmboy vibe to me.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »

I mean no disrespect at all....but your posts lately been given off a Polkfarmboy vibe to me.

Not my intentions
  • Clipdat
    Options

What software did they use to connect to your machine?

• msg
    Options
    Do you know who polkfarmboy is?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It's me. I'm polkfarmboy.
  • msg
    Options
    I knew it. Did you ever find your drone?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Oh it's a person? Sorry I thought it was supposed to be a reference to point farming, like "karma farming" on Reddit.

Care to tell the tale?
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

What software did they use to connect to your machine?

LogMeIn Rescue. It was an older UI though as this was back in 2018.

9h8gdl1wtuvq.jpg
  • msg
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Oh it's a person? Sorry I thought it was supposed to be a reference to point farming, like "karma farming" on Reddit.

Care to tell the tale?

I don't think I could do justice to PFB. I think it would require a collection of group definitions. you'll pick up references here and there, and piece together the story(ies), or more like, "the experience that is PFB." short version, the guy was a chaos magnet. some of it was hilarious. other bits you'd feel, wtf dude, why do you do this to yourself?

personable fellow, though. good sport.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Care to tell the tale?

I don't think I could do justice to PFB. I think it would require a collection of group definitions. you'll pick up references here and there, and piece together the story(ies), or more like, "the experience that is PFB." short version, the guy was a chaos magnet. some of it was hilarious. other bits you'd feel, wtf dude, why do you do this to yourself?

I checked out his profile and I guess I don't notice anything out of the ordinary but I'm probably not seeing whatever gave him his rep.

Definitely not trying to be a chaos magnet... that's for sure.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options

Care to tell the tale?

Scott, how did you type all that while your eyes were closed and you were fantasizing about skinny jeans?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Care to tell the tale?

Scott, how did you type all that while your eyes were closed and you were fantasizing about skinny jeans?

Care to tell the tale?

I wonder how me made out with his mail-order Thai ladyboys...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson