One Stroke Engine Technology

Options
Found this interesting. All I know is EV' s will not sustain the human race.

https://interestingengineering.com/transportation/innengines-e-rex-motor-1-stroke-engine-technology
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited July 2023
    Options
    so, with the BIG DISCLAIMER that I know
    nothing

about this (!) :#
    I did read an interesting response to a post about it over at AK...
    (i.e., I absolutely cannot evaluate the accuracy of the reply, but it certainly caught my eye)

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/120-hp-from-an-85-pound-500cc-engine.1035020/#post-16522012

YMMV, though, of course, as they say ;)

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I think and I may be wrong the idea is a range extender for an ev, kind of like a hybrid.

I drive a prius and I can say the technology works very well.

I go about 480 miles on 9 gallons on average.

No complaints
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I think and I may be wrong the idea is a range extender for an ev, kind of like a hybrid.

I drive a prius and I can say the technology works very well.

I go about 480 miles on 9 gallons on average.

No complaints
    Indeed. Mrs. H was an early hybrid adopter and loved hers (although she went I/C when she last bought a new car 'cause at the time there were no medium sized hybrids that she liked).
    A 4-stroke works fine for that, though ;)
    The NLA Chevy Volt and the plug-in Prius and its kin were/are the best of both worlds, arguably.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    Interesting engine design, but it has limitations AND, its is in absolutely no way a 1-stroke engine! It is a two stroke. No, it doesn't need mix gas, but it is still 2-strokes. Intake/compression and combustion/exhaust. The design probably has some friction issues (8 cylinders vs 4), and it will be very low on torque, but it could be a compact/lightweight charging engine.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Regarding the "1 Stroke Engine" claim, I thought the same thing, that it was bogus. There are 2 power strokes per output shaft revolution. That is true. The same holds true for a 4 cycle, 4 cylinder engine. Their engine has each cylinder firing at some point during each revolution, which can't be said for the 4 cyl, 4 cycle. High power to weight ratio is where it's at, if it has longevity. I think their claim that it is very low vibration makes sense. Pretty cool really.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    There is technically a true 1-stroke engine, it's called the rotary. A 1 stroke would mean the only stroke of the piston has the intake, compression, combustion, power, and exhaust. So essentially a piston moving down or up forever.

This does look like a really cool engine design though, I want to see how it performs in the real world usage.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Ya, I saw that it was a 2 stroke and the squash plate design has its drawbacks like high friction resistance and low torque yield but at least people haven't given up on the ICE

One note on the design flaw is it doesn't show how to keep the pistons from overextending and crashing into one another.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Ya, I saw that it was a 2 stroke and the squash plate design has its drawbacks like high friction resistance and low torque yield but at least people haven't given up on the ICE

One note on the design flaw is it doesn't show how to keep the pistons from overextending and crashing into one another.

I'm really curious to know how it limits TDC of the piston. Furthermore, how easy are these to work on? I can see these being a massive challenge for mechanics, sort of like the rotary was (though admittedly it's a simple design, it was just so different it took adjusting to)

This is a whole different mechanical beast.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Cylinder pressure, under compression prior to ignition and during combustion.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Cylinder pressure, under compression prior to ignition and during combustion.

That wouldn't limit how far they can extend, if the pressure got too high somehow, it'd just leak past the piston rings into the crankcase.

There needs to be a mechanical prevention put in place, else the pistons would smash into each other due to backpressure in the crankcase rapidly decompressing.
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The pressure in the cylinder banks is what keeps the roller bearing firmly against the squash plate during compression and during combustion stroke it not only maintains contact but drives it's rotation. If something were to go wrong with the air induction maybe there could be a failure where the pistons could contact but that would be a catastrophic failure of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evhsWLWlkY&t=116s

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    The pressure in the cylinder banks is what keeps the roller bearing firmly against the squash plate during compression and during combustion stroke it not only maintains contact but drives it's rotation. If something were to go wrong with the air induction maybe there could be a failure where the pistons could contact but that would be a catastrophic failure of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evhsWLWlkY&t=116s

Hmmm, it WOULD be a cool design if the pistons used pressure to determine how far back and forward they can go. In the combustion chamber it'd prevent them from smashing, in the crankcase (well, whatever it is with this design) it would prevent them from just shooting out of the cylinder.

Very interesting design so far nonetheless
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I read something about variable compression ratio through control of the valvetrain. It would be interesting to get ahold of their patent, when it is granted or if it is already granted. I think the video shows that the pistons do not "smash".
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    This video shows that there is another squash plate that defines a channel with the main one, and the piston bearings are forced to ride in that channel.

9qdtratp45p6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqc0KZRKreE
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Super interesting.

Now I want to see the patent, too
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    A little bit of a deep dive into the engine, if you can handle the accent...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0_3qFmPUM
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Looks like the design would have a very high combustion efficiency and would allow you to run gas or diesel all with very few moving parts. Maybe an 8 cylinder version wouldn't sound like a lawnmower with a straight pipe?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS