Tobacco Exposure: Yes

NOPE!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tobacco Exposure: Yes

NOPE!

That’s far better than what the pawn shop specials have been exposed to….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    @nooshinjohn It's a pretty good deal, but I'd prefer local purchase as I wouldn't need to convert CAD to USD and then pay shipping + taxes + fees.

Will still consider it though... they're very good speakers from what everyone has told me, I'm just yet to own a pair myself.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat Tobacco exposure for me is either a hard yes or a hard pass.

My RT3000p was from an ex-smoker, but he sold me a whole entire lot of stuff probably worth $2500 today for $1000 (canadian buckaroos). My post about that is on my page.

I like buying from smokers as they usually price things super low because of the smell, and I'm very good at cleaning it.

Or they price it like it's pristine and it's covered in tar and completely screwed up.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,085
    Options
    The problem with the Lsim is the lack of support and the tweeters are made of glass
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @VR3 Yeah I've noticed the lack of support, especially considering the speakers were sold brand new by Polk only what, 4 years ago? And they have no more drivers for them in stock. Ridiculous.

Are you being serious about the tweeters? Like, are they actually made out of glass, or are they just really fragile?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,085
    Options
    Very fragile
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    I never understand how beautiful speakers like this get this damaged. I never had any of my speakers or any of my equipment abused like that. Hell I rarely get any scratches or kicks because I'm very careful with my stuff. Sure accidents can happen , moving things around your at risk of some light damage hard to avoid especially heavy equipment but man they are ruff. Their asking prices both of them at insane. I few hundred bucks tops as they are project speakers and I'm wondering if it's worth to bring them back? Maybe if you enjoy it but man they are so ruff.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @mantis Oh if I could actually find the 3 drivers I needed for like $500 CAD I'd easily drop maybe considering all of your comments around $100 for them.

You're right though. I never understood it. How could someone drop $5K+ on a pair of speakers only for them to get ruined? It's ridiculous in my opinion.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The problem with the Lsim is the lack of support and the tweeters are made of glass

"Lack of support". 😱

There's a new concept for the Polk brand, compared to not so long ago. 😬
    Alea jacta est!
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Kex I personally will not buy any of Polks newer stuff.

In my opinion, once Polk was bought out, it marked the beginning of the end. Now I just see Polk as a name brand slapped on speakers with some of their revolutionary technologies slapped in them.

I don't think there will ever be another lineup like the RT/i/p, LSi, SDA, SRT, etc and it's honestly kinds sad to me. The LSiM feels like the last remaining bits of the old Polk to me. I didn't grow up with Polk obviously, but experiencing their older gear and their newer gear, I can certainly tell the difference.

Even my Dad who did in fact know Polk from the 90s and onward said he just finds they're a shell of their former selvesm
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,617
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

"Lack of support". 😱

There's a new concept for the Polk brand, compared to not so long ago. 😬

Polk has, well Denon/Marantz when they owned them made mention that they would not support any series past the warranty period or a certain number of years after the series was introduced. The CS agent told me personally that at max it would be 10 yrs or less. The LSi and LSiM parts have been OOS for awhile now. Outside of the RD-0198-0194 tweeters are an anomaly ATM. Count your blessings they've continue to get more. They had made a statement that those too were going away. That is the reason many of us stocked up.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @pitdogg2 They also have specific tri-laminate tweeters in stock still, but super limited quantities.

Also, the RD2516-1 has like 1200 something unitsbleft. This is, I'm pretty sure, the last bit of legacy support they have
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,617
    Options
    At some point a bean counter will make the decision to off load those to the discount Parts Express, Speaker Exchange type places...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    @mantis Oh if I could actually find the 3 drivers I needed for like $500 CAD I'd easily drop maybe considering all of your comments around $100 for them.

You're right though. I never understood it. How could someone drop $5K+ on a pair of speakers only for them to get ruined? It's ridiculous in my opinion.
    Well good luck.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.