Roku Ultra 4k with Dolby Atmos

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello everyone,
Do any of you own a Roku 4k Ultra with Dolby Atmos? I don't own one but I have seen and heard of some popping issues when sending out audio pass through so the receiver or processor can process the audio correctly, anyone have any issues?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I'd pop your Roku, if you'd let me.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    smh.
    🤮
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    Do any of you own a Roku 4k Ultra with Dolby Atmos? I don't own one but I have seen and heard of some popping issues when sending out audio pass through so the receiver or processor can process the audio correctly, anyone have any issues?
    Why are you asking? In case you run across it with customers?
    Buy a Shield Pro.

What kind of connectivity exactly? Example of configuration?

I have Roku Ultras in two systems, but not sure if they're 4k or w/Dolby Atmos. I don't have 4k TVs, nor audio going over HDMI; it's optical out to my older Parasound processors. Never had any issues in that config.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    msg wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    Why are you asking? In case you run across it with customers?
    Buy a Shield Pro.

What kind of connectivity exactly? Example of configuration?

I have Roku Ultras in two systems, but not sure if they're 4k or w/Dolby Atmos. I don't have 4k TVs, nor audio going over HDMI; it's optical out to my older Parasound processors. Never had any issues in that config.
    I have a Client that had a popping issue with a Roku Ultra 4k with Dolby Atmos. This was setup in Pass Through audio out and every time you scrolled through a menu system like Netflix or Amazon, it would pop.
    Dan
  • msg
    I don't know what you mean by the passthrough audio out. Is that a setting in the Roku?

How is the equipment connected?
    Is it Roku > AVR > TV
    or
    ROKU > TV > AVR over Optical, with the TV set to PCM?

I think there are navigation sounds you can turn off, but I'm guessing you're not talking about that kind of popping.

I'll take a look at what i have and what audio controls are in there.

Presuming the client doesn't have updates disabled and it's up to date?
    TV firmware up to date?

If it's HDMI all the way, cables? Handshake stuff? Just guessing at this point.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    The Roku Ultra 4k with Dolby Atmos has 4 options for audio out. One of them is pass through which basically means bitstream out also meaning the Roku doesn't do any audio processing. it allows the AVR or preamps to do all the processing.

The connections are Roku HDMI to AVR then HDMI to TV. Gear is a Sony STRAZ3000es receiver and a 83 inch Sony A90k OLED TV. HDMI cables are his own Monoprice Ultra high speed 2m and we ran a Binary 48g Ultra High speed 4k 120 HDMI fiber cable to the TV. Gear is in the back of the room and the long HDMI run is 65ft. There is no video issues, we tested the HDMI cable to the TV and it passes all specs
    Dan
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Sorry just seeing this. I have had a Roku Ultra and use it to stream Dolby Atmos movies. So far, no popping issues. Picture and sound quality are good enough that I will only pop in a HD Blu Ray for serious viewing. The config issue that annoys me the most is that the Roku randomly resets my video setting from 4K to 4K with HDR which makes the picture too dark on my projector.

As a side note, my son set up a PiHole ad blocker and we see where the Roku hits its ad servers a gazillion times a day.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    dpowell wrote: »
    As a side note, my son set up a PiHole ad blocker and we see where the Roku hits its ad servers a gazillion times a day.

Lol, that mirrors my experience with my Rokus and PiHole hehehe.
    Sorry just seeing this. I have had a Roku Ultra and use it to stream Dolby Atmos movies. So far, no popping issues. Picture and sound quality are good enough that I will only pop in a HD Blu Ray for serious viewing. The config issue that annoys me the most is that the Roku randomly resets my video setting from 4K to 4K with HDR which makes the picture too dark on my projector

I have a Roku Ultra LT (think that’s the same as what you are asking about) and have it hooked up via HDMI to my Insignia TV and then optical out to my Polk soundbar (it’s my bedroom setup so don’t judge…. Also the soundbar works just fine lol)….

Rokus settings for Audio are:
    - Audio Mode: Auto (DD+)
    - Digital output format: Auto

No issues here.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141

Lol, that mirrors my experience with my Rokus and PiHole hehehe.
    Sorry just seeing this. I have had a Roku Ultra and use it to stream Dolby Atmos movies. So far, no popping issues. Picture and sound quality are good enough that I will only pop in a HD Blu Ray for serious viewing. The config issue that annoys me the most is that the Roku randomly resets my video setting from 4K to 4K with HDR which makes the picture too dark on my projector

I have a Roku Ultra LT (think that’s the same as what you are asking about) and have it hooked up via HDMI to my Insignia TV and then optical out to my Polk soundbar (it’s my bedroom setup so don’t judge…. Also the soundbar works just fine lol)….

Rokus settings for Audio are:
    - Audio Mode: Auto (DD+)
    - Digital output format: Auto

No issues here.

I have a 19” direct-lit Insignia in my BR system and got for $70-$80. Actually a nice tv with intuitive remote. Nothing to be ashamed of; actually a decent tv.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I have a Roku that does 1080p, and a newer one that does 4K.

I only experienced popping sounds on the former using Qobuz via Airplay.

It seems like I’ve only heard popping sounds using the latter occasionally switching between apps, but once selected it is silent.

It is a strange flaw, but mostly unobtrusive, IME.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050

...then optical out to my Polk soundbar (it’s my bedroom setup so don’t judge…. Also the soundbar works just fine lol)….

No judgement from me. 😃 I have a Polk soundbar for the dining room and kitchen area. Sounds surprisingly good for its size and is great for background music listening.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @jbreezy5 the joke was the soundbar not the insignia TV.

I’m totally fine rocking one in the bedroom and the loft.

My main rig though will always be something much better though lol.

PS my insignia we just bought last week and was 200$ for a 50” 4k LED so I am pretty happy coming from an older 720p 40” Insignia.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)