Happy 10th Birthday - Pass Labs X600.5 Monoblocks

Introduction

It's been ten years? Really? It seems like just yesterday when the delivery truck pulled up. Two of the highlights of my audio journey were the delivery of my Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers in April 2013 and the delivery of my Pass Labs XP-30 preamplifier in April 2013. Both were manufactured in March 2013. Pass Labs uses contract manufacturers for their aluminum cases and circuit boards. Design, final assembly and testing is done at Pass Labs.

kkdhwkll9hbu.jpg
Figure 1. X600.5 monoblocks after unpacking, April 2013 - Welcome home! The first 80 watts is pure class A. They are rated for 800 watts continuous into 8 ohms and 1200 watts continuous into 4 ohms. Peak current output is 35 amps. The bass slam is spectacular, as is the overall articulation, clarity, and detail. In January of 2014, Pass Labs introduced the X600.8, that, among other things, provided 100 watts of class A operation. I wasn't tempted. I also preferred the face plate aesthetics of the X600.5.

zcd5ar18patf.jpg
Figure 2. It was a bit of a struggle getting the X600.5s into the stereo equipment cabinet. They weigh 132 pounds each. They replaced a pair of Parasound Halo JC 1 monoblocks.

k8q1y2vynhk9.jpg
Figure 3. XP-30 preamplifier after unpacking, April 2013 - Welcome home to you too!

Except for the infrequent power outage or the infrequent power down for cable evaluations, the amps have been on continuously since installation. They each suck 5 amps continuously from the wall.

A Ten Year Honeymoon

Since the installation of this amplification suite, which also included a Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamplifier, I have listened to a lot of amplifiers. This included two tours of AXPONA (2018 and 2019). I haven't heard any amps yet that made me go "wow, I'd like to own that". I've heard some speakers that made me say that, but not amps.

xb72y7oy8c5h.jpg
Figure 4. The way we were - main stereo system April 2013. The way I listened to music was totally different ten years ago. I was still listening to records, CDs and SACDs. It would be another four years before I transferred all my music to DSD digital files played from a NAS server. I later found that the cooling fans above the amps were totally unnecessary. The turntable is a Teres Audio Model 255 with Teres Reference II motor, Graham Phantom II tonearm, Ortofon MC Windfeld cartridge, Sonic Purity record clamp, and DIY holographic mylar belt. I still have the turntable and its armada of accessories. The Cary Audio CD306 Professional Version SACD player was cheerfully sold. Top shelf left and right is a Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamp and power supply. Bottom center is a PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator for the source components.

dpvgqbkcxg5f.jpg
Figure 5. I made [what seemed like] millions of trips to/from the media storage racks and to/from the listening seat and the stereo. Now, I seldom go near the stereo. I don't need to.

2kmzlzoz8y1l.jpg
Figure 6. Left to right: dCS Debussy DAC, dCS Puccini word clock, Bryston BDP-3 digital music player. An EtherREGEN audio grade Ethernet switch sits on the top rear of the Puccini word clock. A Synology DS718+ NAS sits between the word clock and digital player. I eventually spent four months transferring my vinyl records, CDs and SACDs to DSD64 files. The clunky and inconvenient-to-use turntable and SACD player were replaced with sleek digital upgrades: digital music player, network attached storage, DAC, audio grade Ethernet switch, clocks, audio grade digital cables, and linear power supplies. I don't stream music from Internet services. That pesky phono preamp was cheerfully sold.

8h7q8dxaydiq.jpg
Figure 7. The only thing I miss about LPs is the nice swag that sometimes came with them: lyrics books, photo albums, posters, and detailed historical and production notes on the insides and backs of the album jackets.

fqbd5xgx4vc3.jpg
Figure 8. The computer audio rig! Top shelf left: Araknis AN-110-SW-R8 Ethernet switch for connectivity to the home LAN. AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz clock for the EtherREGEN. Top shelf right: Farad Super3 linear power supply for the EtherREGEN, TeraDAK DC-150VA linear power supply for the NAS. The monoblocks really appreciated the upgrade in source components. When you ask "what did you do to your stereo rig today?"; the answer is "I pulled up a custom playlist and LISTENED, LISTENED, LISTENED!"

jgin87zz22w2.jpg
Figure 9. A tablet computer at the listening position negates the need to make music selections at the stereo. Such good control...and Such Good Sound!

References:

Pass Labs X600.5 Monoblock Amplifier Review:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/147896/pass-labs-x600-5-monoblock-power-amplifiers/p1

The Disc-Less Life:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183308/the-disc-less-life-no-cds-sacds-dvds-blu-rays-or-vinyl-records

The Turntable Retirement Project:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174885/the-turntable-retirement-project/p1

The PCM To DSD Conversion Project:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179508/the-pcm-to-dsd-conversion-project

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @DarqueKnight

Agreed!

“I also preferred the face plate aesthetics of the X600.5.”

“I haven't heard any amps yet that made me go "wow, I'd like to own that.”

Pass Labs amps sound unlike (in the best possible ways) any other solid-state amps I’ve heard. 🤤
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Pass Labs amps sound unlike (in the best possible ways) any other solid-state amps I’ve heard. 🤤

I don't recall where Nelson Pass said it, but it was along the lines of his amplifier designs are for tube lovers who don't want the tube fuss.

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Pass Labs is second to none. What a well ran company. Love your reviews all the time.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    All the different models Pass Labs makes sound different from one another.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

I don't recall where Nelson Pass said it, but it was along the lines of his amplifier designs are for tube lovers who don't want the tube fuss.

Indeed, and unlike tube amps they are capable of linear frequency response into almost any load.

Jaw-dropping system you have there. Congrats!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @DarqueKnight are you sporting the SDA's or the LSiM 707's

Happy Anniversary...love it!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DarqueKnight
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @DarqueKnight are you sporting the SDA's or the LSiM 707's

SDA SRS 1.2TLs in the two channel stereo (Fig. 9). LSiM 707s in the home theater.

33y72j4d3fqq.jpg

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Sade!!! Sure wish she would tour at least one more time. She doesn’t pop out very often..
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Beautiful amps! You have an amazing set up and room as well!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Great looking setup!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jbreezy5
    @DarqueKnight

Do you know what color yellow you used on your walls?

• DarqueKnight
    edited May 2023
    @jbreezy5

Behr "Butter Cookie" from Home Depot.
    ICC-41
    Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat Enamel
    Pastel Base No. 1855
    Gallon Colorant Formula:
    AX Permanent Yellow 2/48th oz.
    C Yellow Oxide 1 oz.
    R Exterior Red 2/48th oz.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Before Covid, Pass had one of the larger first floor rooms at Axpona. They had several of the amps and other gear disassembled for a hands on touchy-feely sort of thing. It was pretty darn cool to pick up and get a good look at all the guts. Everything I seen in the room was very impressive, from the size and heft of the aluminium to seeing how the boards were laid out. GOOD stuff!!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Before Covid, Pass had one of the larger first floor rooms at Axpona. They had several of the amps and other gear disassembled for a hands on touchy-feely sort of thing. It was pretty darn cool to pick up and get a good look at all the guts. Everything I seen in the room was very impressive, from the size and heft of the aluminium to seeing how the boards were laid out. GOOD stuff!!

I seen that at Axpona also, I think it was 2019. I went in 2018 and don't remember seeing it.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Beautiful setups! I took a queue from how you have your cabinets setup when I remodeled my HT room. Would love to hear my 1.2TLs some day with a pair of those Pass monoblocks!
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050