John Wick 4

Options
We bought tickets to this about 3 weeks ago for the premiere last night (I think this may have been the first time I've gone to a movie on opening night).

The film was everything I had expected (hoped) it would be, and then some. I am an enthusiastic fan of the series, but I will admit to being a bit disappointed in 3 - I didn't really like Halle Berry's character, and I found much of the plot just so-so. 4 brought back much of the feel and style of 2 - The new locations were interesting and beautifully rendered, and the new slate of characters was outstanding.

As a last note, it was sad seeing Lance Reddick on screen, knowing that he past away this week - RIP sir, you were a great part of this series.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options

Awesome, looking forward to seeing it.

Come one , Halle Berry could just stand around and it would make the film better LOL.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited April 2023
    Options
    *****Spoilers Below******

Part 4 was my least favorite of the franchise...and didn't make sense to me. It just seemed like one long three hour fight scene.

Just some of the hypocritical nonsense:

1. John Wick has a death sentence from the High Table for breaking the rule against unsanctioned killing on "company" grounds. However, the Marquis de Gramont kills Charon on a whim.

2. The Marquis de Gramont blows up the New York Continental, after it was established in Part 3 that Winston was granted a pardon from the High Table.

3. Winston had the b a l l s to defy the High Table in Part 3 and was willing to fight to the death to keep his hotel. In Part 4, he tucks tail and moves out immediately upon orders from the Marquis. It was later shown that the Marquis was basically a coward, so Winston's fear didn't make sense.

4. The Marquis accepted a duel to the death from Wick, but then ups the bounty on Wick's life in an attempt to prevent the duel from happening. This was an act of cowardice and a seeming violation of High Table rules. You can't accept a challenge and then try to kill your challenger before the event.

5. John Wick can just walk up to the Elder of the High Table and kill him? Wouldn't a man that important and powerful have virtually impenetrable security? It was established in Part 3 that you don't find the Elder. He finds you...if he wants to.

6. An assassin of Wick's skill and cunning would not be easy to track as he moved around town. It was established in previous movies that he knows how to move about undetected and show up unannounced.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    Options
    I have the first one in 4K blu ray, and I thought it was just ok. I actually liked Nobody with Bob Odenkirk by the same director a lot better. Better plot and humor, but still great action…

So I never watched any more in the series. Is 2 better than 1?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited April 2023
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    So I never watched any more in the series. Is 2 better than 1?

I have the 4K Blu-rays of JW1, JW2, and JW3. I thought the story got more interesting with each successive chapter. I will not be adding JW4 to my collection.

"Nobody", "John Wick", and "John Wick 2" were all written (not directed) by Derek Kolstad. Derek Kolstad was the major writer in a team of three writers for "John Wick 3". Derek Kolstad was the third writer in a team of three writers for "John Wick 4", and it shows. JW4 is more like a parody of the first three JW movies. It is possible that Derek Kolstad had no writing input into JW4 at all, but received a writing credit simply because characters he created were used.

I also have the 4K Blu-ray of Nobody. Until you mentioned it, I was not aware of the connection between it and the JW movies. JW1 and Nobody had similar themes (former assassin, Russian mobsters, home invasion), but I found JW1 to be a more interesting story.

Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Nobody was fantastic, until the last battle, IHMO. Just a bit too hokey and over the top. The bus scene is one of the best action sequences ever filmed.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn