Stuck Voice coil magnet shift..

2»

Comments

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Success?
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • No. My rig wasn't just right so I scrapped it last night. Took the time to do it near perfect. Got yesterday's speaker ready which the pole plate and magnet were glued over night. Put in new jig. Took less than a minute. Moved clean. Yay. Hooked up to source.....nada. no sound. I must have pushed a screw too far somewhere in my less than perfect jig.. Jeez. So I did another and it was smooth process. It's drying. So semi success... @lawdogg do you have any extra for sale? It's mw-6500
    Thanks for everything...
  • lawdogg
    Dang sorry to hear that one didn't make it. But knock on wood hope your other one is good to go. I don't have any good spares at the moment, which stinks. If I do ever come across a good 6500 I will let you know.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• Sounds good. I do have a couple mw-6502s. Those a suitable replacement?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    crassmage wrote: »
    I do have a couple mw-6502s. Those a suitable replacement?
    No last version of M10 came with mw6503

• How are they different? Ohms? Just asking to learn is all. I have 2 pairs of monitor 7s but I am not gonna mess with them. Thanks @pitdogg2
  • Also can anyone tell by the pic what tweeters these have? :)
  • lawdogg
    Looks like Peerless.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• Thanks. Thought so too. So.....2nd speaker. Mixed results...went to bed is was silent full crank @11hz...check in morning. Nope. Buzzes. So I had to adjust but it turned out 90%.. pulled third one...took 5 mins start to finish...funny how that works. So I'm in the hunt for 1 6500. Could be worse. Thanks everyone for the help!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited September 2019
    Thanks. Thought so too. So.....2nd speaker. Mixed results...went to bed is was silent full crank @11hz...check in morning. Nope. Buzzes. So I had to adjust but it turned out 90%.. pulled third one...took 5 mins start to finish...funny how that works. So I'm in the hunt for 1 6500. Could be worse. Thanks everyone for the help!

Don't ever play test single frequency test tones loud. The impedance (think resistance) of a speaker varies with frequency. Hit the right one and the impedance can easily drop well below 2 ohms. Your amp will then dump massive amounts of clipped power to the speaker. And it is even worse when you play low frequencies the speaker can't reproduce. Just because you can't hear anything doesnt mean your amp is not sending out a lot of power

AND you are playing at "full crank"? Know I know why you are blowing fuses.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't fry your amp as well as your speaker. Don't do that again..
  • delkal wrote: »
    Thanks. Thought so too. So.....2nd speaker. Mixed results...went to bed is was silent full crank @11hz...check in morning. Nope. Buzzes. So I had to adjust but it turned out 90%.. pulled third one...took 5 mins start to finish...funny how that works. So I'm in the hunt for 1 6500. Could be worse. Thanks everyone for the help!

Don't ever play test single frequency test tones loud. The impedance (think resistance) of a speaker varies with frequency. Hit the right one and the impedance can easily drop well below 2 ohms. Your amp will then dump massive amounts of clipped power to the speaker. And it is even worse when you play low frequencies the speaker can't reproduce. Just because you can't hear anything doesnt mean your amp is not sending out a lot of power

AND you are playing at "full crank"? Know I know why you are blowing fuses.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't fry your amp as well as your speaker. Don't do that again..

Actually I didn't blow any fuses testing in such a way. Was about a 5 out of 10. But to me that was loud. Still...noted and thank you.2 of the 3 have been saved and my new jig is super efficient and easy. Hopefully won't need it again.
  • tuber
    tuber Posts: 1
    Lawdogg,
    I came across this thread while trying ti learn how to re-align the magnet on an AR-9 12" woofer and noticed your offer to "fix your shifted magnets for free." Is that offer still good?
    Thanks!