Wtb LSIM Tweeter

Options
Anyone have a LSIM tweeter or two sitting around? Polk does not have these available anymore and I cannot find any on the eBays or interwebz
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Is it a ring radiator? Didn't Parts Express sell one very similar, or am I thinking of the LSi
    @VR3
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The LSiM was just discontinued.... and Polk is not supporting it any longer? That is first-class BS right there....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The LSiM was just discontinued.... and Polk is not supporting it any longer? That is first-class BS right there....

John I was told a few years ago Polk was only going to support products for 5 years.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited December 2021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

John I was told a few years ago Polk was only going to support products for 5 years.
    They have only been gone from the product page for two.... further, there is still product out there under warranty. Are they just going to tell customers to pound sand?

That had better not happen to me if I need support for my L800, which get double warranty protection because I registered the sale...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    It is what it is, I’m sure I will be able to source some tweeters somewhere. These are a high fail item, so hope I can grab a few to get my pair back up and running fully.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Options
    I will tell you I was treated very very well by Polk Support, the "tier 2" support. The "tier 1" support was not that great

• stangman67
    Options
    Those look similar from the front but are not the same driver. The housing/mounting are completely different with tweeter in the LSIM's being much more substanital

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    Gotcha.

I know adorama had a bunch of speakers on ebay that were damaged from shipping, maybe give them a call
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Great suggestion but their CS rep basically responded to my question " you are asking about making a bulk order, right" lol! Don;t think I'm gonna get in touch with anyone that will remotely know what I am asking

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Midwest Speaker had some posted on eBay but looks like that listing sold out. May be worth contacting them directly but those tweeters were being sold for more than $130 a piece. In cases like that cannibalizing a used speaker may make sense.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Yea I have been looking for used/damaged speakers. So far nothing that makes sense financially. These speakers are perennial "temporary" speakers for me, so I will not be spending a lot of money to get them back up. The resale on them is so terrible, really doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of money on them especially considering how often the tweeters go on these. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money just to have it happen again in a few years. Looking like once/if I get some tweeters these will be up for sale

• pitdogg2
    Options
    IIRC one of two reasons the tweeter goes.
    Amp clipping or resistor. Polk used a 5 watt resistors and the really need to be 10-12 watt.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    Options
    Well, this lack of support is very disappointing. I'm in agreement with nooshinjohn that this isn't acceptable support for a flagship product such as the LSiM. This will make me strongly re-think buying Polk speakers in the future.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with blown LSiM tweeters/resistors, even when blasting reference level. At least not yet.

Let me know if y'all do find a lead, as I might buy a couple just in case as well.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    John has a valid point, one which I've thought of since purchasing the R600's. They're a brand new line but I've thought about purchasing a few drivers/tweeters "just in case". Down the road if I'm still kicking and something happens that is beyond my control (stuff happens when you're not at home) it would be nice to have some drop-in's if the warranty is up. I, too, am supposed to have the full 10 year warranty but, let's face it, Polk hasn't been supporting their speaker lines like the "black driver" series for some time. Given that the 8t's, which I just gave to my oldest, were $600 in 1988 which equates to around $1400 in today's dollars (I paid $1400 for the R600's sale price) I don't plan on purchasing another pair of speakers, probably for the rest of my life anyway. I realize that "not" supporting something for an extended period of time keeps money flowing as people purchase new instead of trying to jerry-rig something to keep it running.

I think most older folks here, including me, have been fortunate that Polk supported their 80's/90's speakers for as long as they did. However, for a speaker line which was touted as the flagship and hasn't been off the website for over 5 years (as John has pointed out), to not have replacements is bogus and is not a good look for Polk. Just my $.02...

Sorry for the derailment, I hope you do find replacements!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Hansvelton
    Options

They have only been gone from the product page for two.... further, there is still product out there under warranty. Are they just going to tell customers to pound sand?

That had better not happen to me if I need support for my L800, which get double warranty protection because I registered the sale...

The very least they could do (Polk) is provide the actual Vifa number or one that is equal, so we have some type of way to acquire a tweeter.....
  • jg17512
    Options
    I've had the same problem, the tweeters have been replaced a few times under warranty, and a few times out of pocket. It definitely seems to be a design issue..Fortunately they're not my main speakers,I'm to the place now where I either modify the mount and put a Morel ET 448 in its place or part them out...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options

So that sucks, most companies retain parts for 10 years or more depending. 5 years is a short time for speaker replacement parts. You usually don't need them for well after that.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Unfortunately in the LSIM case they retained parts for basically a year after they sold off their remaining stock. Hope they learned a lesson on that one. One they are probably still learning. They made it right for me, but a blunder either way. I was able to work out a deal to get a tweeter out of a wretched center channel and was able to salvage the LSIM’s ultimately. But I imagine lots of LSIM owners are going to be frustrated with this as there was definitely a bad run of tweeters

• jg17512
    Options
    I sure met alot of resistance when I made a post about the tweeters back in 2019,I guess there Loyal polk followers, I still have 2 pair,I love the sound from them when they work.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    Options
    Thankfully, I'm still having good luck with my LSiMs. I have a 2x707/706c/4x703 setup, and it's still going strong, tweeters and all. It continues to sound amazing and puts a smile on my face.

That said, I recently purchased a complete tweeter/midrange assembly off fleabay that was parted from a destroyed cabinet, so I'll keep it in my arsenal in case a tweeter does go out.

While I have no desire to upgrade my speakers at this time, if I did, I'm not so sure about Polk anymore. I used to be a HUGE advocate for Polk speakers, and had converted a couple of friends. However, this parts issue is a fiasco, as far as I'm concerned. Polk used to be among the best when it came to supporting discontinued speakers, but that time has clearly passed.
  • jimsvm
    jimsvm Posts: 307
    Options
    A little to add, the only time I have cooked a tweeter in my lsim ‘s is when the are cold with out proper warm up. Lesson learned. I just scraped my 703’s for parts to keep my 706 and 705’s running. I pulled the pin on the L200 ‘s to replace them . First impression of the L200 , ugly compared to the 703.
    Rec rm vm30 micro pro 3000 akai 2 channel. ht anthem MTX 5 channel anthem P2 statement anthem 325, 8 channel Martin Logan power amp for 4 ceiling ls900 2 and outdoor polks, 2 JL 110’s subs panasonic 65" plasma lsim 705’s , 706c, L200 and Control 4 garage rig monitor 10s crossovers by VR3, dynamat, RDO-194's, new drivers. psw 111 Pioneer 9040 BDP53fd 100 " screen Nakamichi HD projector, and Panasonic 65” plasma.
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    Options
    Crazy! Never knew.. glad I got an extra 2 woofers for my LSIM 705s.. though the 2 703s I have I wanted to move to 2 front height speakers.. now wondering if I should keep them in storage if I ever need an extra tweeter :/
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    eclypse wrote: »
    Crazy! Never knew.. glad I got an extra 2 woofers for my LSIM 705s.. though the 2 703s I have I wanted to move to 2 front height speakers.. now wondering if I should keep them in storage if I ever need an extra tweeter :/

703s are IMO a waste as height channels, but I would use them as heights rather than keeping the tweeters for spares.

The diaphragm for the tweeter is available on Ebay, I'm sure Midwest would repair them if they ever got cooked. It'd sure beat missing out on the 703s in their glory for years (possibly forever as you may never need a new tweeter).

Is there a known flaw causing the tweeters to coin with the LSiM series? @VR3 I'm sure you'd know, I've seen on here the LSi series was prone to it due to the tweeter resistor (?) I believe. Curious if it's similar on the LSiM series
  • VR3
    Options
    Parts express has a similar tweeter available but it requires some rigging.

They just engineered the tweeter to blow before the crossover and the tweeters are fragile unfortunately
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Parts express has a similar tweeter available but it requires some rigging.

They just engineered the tweeter to blow before the crossover and the tweeters are fragile unfortunately

Shame. I know the original LSi line used modified ScanSpeak tweeters. Looking at the tweeter designs of the LSiM and Reserve/Legend, they look very similar to ScanSpeak tweeter designs however definitely slightly different. I'd bet on a ScanSpeak ring tweeter being the best fit if you were to get a 3rd party tweeter.

I wonder why modern speakers don't have fused tweeters anymore...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Is it just newer LSiM speakers that are having tweeter issues? I've been running a set of 703s since 2014 without any issues (knock wood).

What's the deal?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    The original lsi line used a rebranded vifa xt25 tweeter
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The original lsi line used a rebranded vifa xt25 tweeter

I did not know the model. Handy to know that.

Now I'm curious, how did polk get away with advertising the tweeter as dynamic balance 😂
  • VR3
    Options
    Polk claims it was built to their specifications but many folks have used the xt25 offer the years with little to no discernable differences