How many tubes do you have in your rig?

Hello all and good afternoon to you all.

Just as the title states, how many tubes are you running in your system?

I'll start.

Lampizator DAC/PS - 4
Canary Pre/PS - 7
Jolida JD-9 MkII - 2

So, for my rig? At the moment, I have a total of 13 tubes that heat up the room quite well and offer me that great tube bliss.

What say you?

I may be wrong but I believe John has the most amount of tubes in his system simply because of his amps (from memory). Not that this is a contest or challenge....just curious.

If you don't have tubes...do you want to introduce them into the rig or are you satisfied with straight up SS?

If you do have tubes in your rig...do you yearn for more or have you found that sweet spot where you are content and just want to roll tubes from here on out?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    6 in the preamp
    In the power supply 1-5ar4, 1-6bq5 and 1-12ax7
    In the signal path 2-12au7 and 1-12ax7
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited March 2023
    9 Cary SLP-05
    3 OPPO-Mod Wright 205
    2 JD-9 Mkii
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,051
    None yet but I have 1 tube pre in house for a trial & picking up another one Sat to do a comparison. Having some fun 🎵🎵🎵
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 445
    Just one tube here….
    The little Aiyima tube pre/DAC combo unit does surprisingly well with the tiny 5W class A ACA Mini driving the R200’s (despite their low-ish efficiency.) Fun to fool around with for sure. 😁🤘🏻
    b0w47w28rpg5.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (4x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,606
    edited March 2023
    Five tubes, but two are twin triodes -- i.e., functionally, seven.

46602617465_4d5fcaf3ee_b.jpg

The number goes up quite a bit when the MR-67 tuner's online.

PS -- don't ask me how many there are in the house in toto, or even how many vacuum tube hifi components there are here. I do not know. I do even have one all vacuum tube television (a GE Portacolor!), and it sort of works, but not really. I can get a raster on it.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    Zero 😬
    Not ready for that pursuit at this time, damnit treitz.... 😳
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Six

2 in the Modwright SWL9.0SE
    4 in the Modwright PH9.0X

The more tubes the merrier!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,458
    edited March 2023
    Audio Research Reference 3. 4 - 6H30 audio circuit. 1- 6H30 and 1 - 6550 in the power supply.
    Bottlehead Eros Phono. 2 - Telefunken EF86 first gain stage, 1- Amperex 7308 second gain and 1 - 12BH7 regulator. Yes, the Eros is worthy of the pricey tubes. :)

Ten total tubes.

Had tube amps before. Very happy with my Krell KSA-250 NPN bipolar SS amp. It gets toasty. Fortunately, the open main level with high ceilings doesn't trap the heat.

brpo37ziuy85.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,568
    Jolida JD9 phono preamp: 2
    Eastern Electric M520 integrated: 10
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    WOW!!! 3 JD-9’s in this thread…
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,147
    2 x ECC802
    4 x EL34
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited March 2023
    I'll play. The next question should be how many tubes do you own for all the tube gear in your house!?

Eastern Electric - Avant Pre-amp
    nd42kz77pjs1.png

(3) 12AX7/ECC83 - 1 pair of 1956 Tung Sol JTL 5751WA; single 1959 GE Gray plate for the balanced output which I am currently not using. So the tube is just a "place holder"

(4) 12AU7/ECC82 - 1 pair 1955 Brimar ECC82 long black ladder plate w/sq getter; 1 pair 1960 Sylvania JHS Gold 5814 3 mica gray plate

(1) 6X4 - 1959 Tung Sol JTL 6X4WA black plat "D" getter (rectifier)

Eastern Electric - Mini Max Dac PLUS
    792bilwgo519.png

(1) 12AU7/ECC82 - Single 1957 Amperex Holland ECC82 long gray plate w/slant getter.

That's the main rig. I still own (3) integrated tube amps w/power tubes 6L6 and 6V6. Driver tubes are 12AU and 12AX variants as well as 6SL7, etc.

I have been trying to obsess less on tube rolling as the combinations are literally more than I have life left to try. So far the above combination has been the most enjoyable.

As far as the dac, the Amperex went in the day I bought it and I changed it out one time for a 5814 GE tube, put the Amperex back in and it's been there ever since.

In the dac the op-amps for the tube and SS output are socketed. I have upgraded all (4) with DEXA discrete Op-amps about 6-7 years ago. Made a huge difference.

The rig has never sounded better.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I'll play. The next question should be how many tubes do you own for all the tube gear in your house!?
    H9

Oh God !! That's more than I want to type!!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2023
    Right now I have enough tubes....meaning the right amount. I also own a huge stash to keep the rolling going if I so choose. I have found when I want to just change things up, sometimes just a different battery of tubes scratches that itch vs. buying something new.

I will be replacing the awesome Pass Aleph 30 soon. It's been a trusted work horse and if you're a single ended class A guy, sounds superb. Moving on to the most current iteration in the same vein the Pass XA25.

I was negotiating with a guy (buying an XA25) a couple weeks ago, asking questions, etc. $3.5K+ outlay person to person is huge deal to me. So I was covering all the bases and someone swooped in and paid him more than asking right as I was getting his PP info. I was annoyed, but that's how buying used gear on the internet goes it seems. Anyway sorry for going slightly off topic......

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    H9

Oh God !! That's more than I want to type!!

I was thinking a round number......listing them all would take me until next weekend!

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I used to have 26 tubes in play at the same time when I ran a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamp with a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp together. I suppose it could be 28 if the twin tubes inside a Musical Fidelity A5 cd player are counted. I no longer run tube gear although I do still have the Power 2 amp and A5 cd player stashed away. I preferred running the tube preamp with a solid state amp and the tube amp with a solid state preamp anyway.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,356
    I have only 7 tubes in my rig two 6sl7 in my preamp two rectifier tubes in the separate power supply one of my 866 rectifier tubes is from the 1920's, two 6sn7 in my dac and a 6x5 in the rectifier of the DAC.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    I have a tube of Preparation H. Can I join the club?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    18 tubes, with twenty KT120’s in reserve…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    4 in my Hagerman Cornet 2 phono pre...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Just as the title states, how many tubes are you running in your system?

If you don't have tubes...do you want to introduce them into the rig or are you satisfied with straight up SS?

Zero. Satisfied with solid state.

• rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Bat mono blocks --24
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    In the process of buying a bat pre amp and that has 8 tube in it.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,182
    37 total. 2 amps, 12 in each. Another amp (XAM receiver) has 13 in there I believe.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 181
    Conrad Johnson ET3 pre has 4, but 3 are phono stage
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,823
    “Just” 9. But, hey, that’s 9 more than I had 6 months ago.

12AU7 and 12AX7 recommendations from members here have me super-content at the moment. Time will tell what the future holds.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    “Just” 9. But, hey, that’s 9 more than I had 6 months ago.

12AU7 and 12AX7 recommendations from members here have me super-content at the moment. Time will tell what the future holds.

Have you tried the AX7's I sent you yet?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,151
    edited March 2023
    Eighteen in the Joule Electra amp nine in the Cary none sure in the LA-300me
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,116
    In with 28

5 in the Lampizator DAC
    9 in the Cary 05 pre
    14 in Rogue mono blocks

Sound is sooo good
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL