Focal Chorus 826V, Simply incredible.

Options
13»

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Re-calibrated my living room system last night, and the results are spectacular.

SVS is handling everything up to 120Hz. Thought the Yamaha would have crossed everything over at 80Hz, but in practice everything sounds seamless.

Watched Saving Private Ryan, and it was jaw-droppingly good.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Re-calibrated my living room system last night, and the results are spectacular.

SVS is handling everything up to 120Hz. Thought the Yamaha would have crossed everything over at 80Hz, but in practice everything sounds seamless.

Watched Saving Private Ryan, and it was jaw-droppingly good.

Killer man. Love it.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    From "Amazing" to "I'm happy with them it's just..." - All within a 2 day span?

Ever hear of letting a speaker settle in? Getting other speakers out of the room when evaluating? Burn in when disturbing cables? Letting the electrons flow? Optimizing things before evaluations? Matching amplifier power to....

Never mind.

Tom
    Totally agree

That’s why I’m careful about posting impressions early on about new gadgets
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2023
    Options
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mantis
    Options
    Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    I wonder why sound united uses stamped baskets in all of its drivers.... Curious move
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    Thats a good question. There was a subwoofer company that also made that move and claimed they where just as good but cost a bit less to produce. I think it was SVS who made that switch.
    Dan
  • VR3
    Options
    Yeah I believe they went to stamped baskets.

All I can say about it is... Meh
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I think the stamped baskets are to keep costs down. Polk isn't in the business of producing balls to the wall, cost no object products. They try to straddle that line and keep things mostly affordable.

The Legend line is superb and as you know punches above it's price point which isn't exactly cheap for a theater rig or 2 channel rig for the average audiophile. I've talked to a few friends who are into music and *think* they are audiophiles and when I told them what I've spent, they think I'm nuts for the money outlay.

So, even though the Legend line is a relative bargain to many of us who love this hobby, it's a stretch for many.

My point is, certainly high end speakers that cut few corners will give you that extra 10%, but the Polk R and L lines are damn good speakers for the money and cost conscious selection of parts is part of the balance Polk needs to be successful.

It seems they have a way of knowing what's important and what they can cut some corners on and still be competitive and make excellent sounding speakers. That is no small feat in today's market.

Toss in the fact that they are now 2 corporate owners removed from the original "team" that built Polk Audio and still trying to keep the original ideals of the company going, says a lot about the brand as well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    Options
    Cost is a factor I'm sure. The Lsim had some cheap cast baskets that broke at the spokes in shipping. The stamped baskets could be a solution to that nightmare that was evident in adoramas ebay listings
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Cost is a factor I'm sure. The Lsim had some cheap cast baskets that broke at the spokes in shipping. The stamped baskets could be a solution to that nightmare that was evident in adoramas ebay listings

Yeah, that's unacceptable for something like that to break during normal shipping. Either a manufacturing defect or just poor design.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!