Focal Chorus 826V, Simply incredible.

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    From "Amazing" to "I'm happy with them it's just..." - All within a 2 day span?

Ever hear of letting a speaker settle in? Getting other speakers out of the room when evaluating? Burn in when disturbing cables? Letting the electrons flow? Optimizing things before evaluations? Matching amplifier power to....

Never mind.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited February 2023
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    @mantis - It’s a good problem to have when you keep thinking “I’m gonna upgrade my speakers”, but many comers wind up being goers.

It says something about diminishing returns and probably indicates why you bought what you have in the first place.

I’ve gone through this process countless times with my Dynaudio Audience 82s, and still have them since 2004.

IMO, my ML ESLs surpass them on most things, except bass depth (they win on slam though), and it took a really long time to find a speaker I could say that about.

If you really want something different than the STSs, what are you seeking? (i.e. more soundstage/imaging, bass definition/power, more sensitivity/resolution/airier presentation)

Veering away from the STS’ great overall balance of the above attributes, may leave you feeling dissatisfied later, and most traditional speakers won’t have the inert/quiet cabinet of these.
    I have ST not STS.
    I use to have the Audience 82's, they are great speakers. I had the 122c center and 42W surrounds. The Sub 500 was really good but a little to smooth. No real impact just killer low musical bass.
    these are some really old pic's
    irp3livfaz62.jpeg
    6jm2jiiyzemf.jpeg
    5phe9x86gbmm.jpeg
    qbufeuec74rf.jpeg
    gzz1pz2tgg8c.jpeg
    wicz8comf40r.jpeg

I had no idea! Cool coincidence. Too funny 😄

MA Silver 300, I’d expect to be a step up from the Focal Chorus 8xx line, and possibly, the Audience 82s depending on personal preferences. Not sure how they’d compare to the STs.

Good luck.
    Post edited by jbreezy5 on
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited February 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    From "Amazing" to "I'm happy with them it's just..." - All within a 2 day span?

Ever hear of letting a speaker settle in? Getting other speakers out of the room when evaluating? Burn in when disturbing cables? Letting the electrons flow? Optimizing things before evaluations? Matching amplifier power to....

Never mind.

Tom
    No Tom, you're right. I went into straight VS mode after just a day. I had the Def Tech's in there crammed all up in the front of my room and sat there judging instead of enjoying experiencing etc.

But again you're right and today I did exactly that. I removed my JAMO speaker selector for demoing multiple speakers, removed all wiring and carried my decades of loved Def Tech's to my basement.
    I get ahead of myself sometimes and old habits surface quickly. So before I took your advise and read this response, I took your advice .

I respect your comments and like reading them.

Check it out.
    gvsrja23508x.jpeg

So I'm trying an array of different speaker cables to see what jells with them. I'm starting off with a pair of Type 4's I built , then moving on to my Type 9's and Rocket 33's. I have some 12g THX certified built Liberity cables I want to try out as well as an array of others.

I'm also messing around with placement, close to the wall, pulled away, different toe in and spacing between the speakers vs my listening distance.

I might throw in the Musical Fidelity M6i to see how it sounds with more power.

Thanks Tom,

Dan

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    This is an interesting experiment in initial favoritism/bias with a new purchase, and then reverting back to favoring existing gear.

I'm not criticizing...just observing. Kudos to the OP for being honest after doing comparisons. We like what we like.
    I have had the Def Tech's for so long I have a very hard time actually liking anything more than them. They really hold a special place for me and me just wanting something different.

I always will be honest with everything I purchase. If it sucks it sucks , if it's good it's good and anywhere in-between.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    @mantis - It’s a good problem to have when you keep thinking “I’m gonna upgrade my speakers”, but many comers wind up being goers.

It says something about diminishing returns and probably indicates why you bought what you have in the first place.

I’ve gone through this process countless times with my Dynaudio Audience 82s, and still have them since 2004.

IMO, my ML ESLs surpass them on most things, except bass depth (they win on slam though), and it took a really long time to find a speaker I could say that about.

If you really want something different than the STSs, what are you seeking? (i.e. more soundstage/imaging, bass definition/power, more sensitivity/resolution/airier presentation)

Veering away from the STS’ great overall balance of the above attributes, may leave you feeling dissatisfied later, and most traditional speakers won’t have the inert/quiet cabinet of these.
    I have ST not STS.
    I use to have the Audience 82's, they are great speakers. I had the 122c center and 42W surrounds. The Sub 500 was really good but a little to smooth. No real impact just killer low musical bass.
    these are some really old pic's
    irp3livfaz62.jpeg
    6jm2jiiyzemf.jpeg
    5phe9x86gbmm.jpeg
    qbufeuec74rf.jpeg
    gzz1pz2tgg8c.jpeg
    wicz8comf40r.jpeg

I had no idea! Cool coincidence. Too funny 😄

MA Silver 300, I’d expect to be a step up from the Focal Chorus 8xx line, and possibly, the Audience 82s depending on personal preferences. Not sure how they’d compare to the STs.

Good luck.
    We have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300's in our showroom and I can bring them home anytime I want. I walk past them and stop and think, " is today the day?" and then I keep walking and think of making time for them. When I'm in the shop and listen to them, they are so nice warm comfortable and the build quality is top notch, I basically don't need to evaluate them as I know the sound they create is for me. The Silver 500's are also there for me.

The Audience 82's got bested by the Def Tech ST when I had them both at the same time. The Audience 82's did somethings I really liked but the ST was a more well rounded speaker especially for movies, way better choice.

The Focal's are different , they do things differently then the ST does. So I got them out of my room and now I'm just having a good time with the Focal's. Tom posted with a bit of frustration and rightfully so as I was all over the place.

Dan
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,186
    Options
    Focals are in general voiced a bit different than a lot of other speakers out there. I can certainly understand your tendency to go back and forth with them.

I went from laid back and dark LSIM703’s when I initially started with focals and it certainly was a much different sound but ever since they I have been in love and probably won’t go elsewhere for a long time
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mantis
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Focals are in general voiced a bit different than a lot of other speakers out there. I can certainly understand your tendency to go back and forth with them.

I went from laid back and dark LSIM703’s when I initially started with focals and it certainly was a much different sound but ever since they I have been in love and probably won’t go elsewhere for a long time
    Yes they are. They can be puzzling at times, move you in ways others don't. I moved my Def Tech's out this morning and I have been through an array of music , video games tv shows , the news and a few YouTube videos. I'm getting a better understanding of these speakers.

Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,049
    Options
    I've been rocking Focal for approximately 6 years, which is hard to believe thinking about it haha.

They like really good electronics with high current amplification and an extremely clean front end. Having tubes in the mix silent makes Big difference as well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I've been rocking Focal for approximately 6 years, which is hard to believe thinking about it haha.

They like really good electronics with high current amplification and an extremely clean front end. Having tubes in the mix silent makes Big difference as well
    What models do you have my friend?

Dan
  • VR3
    Options
    I started with the mezzo utopia and a year ago I stumbled across the 1998 grande utopia, no complaints so far 😊
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mikejedi0619
    mikejedi0619 Posts: 96
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The chorus series is considered very entry level for Focal and is geared more towards the mainstream consumer/ht and gaming.

I would check out the older elektra or utopia line if you are going for a music/ht balance.

I would forewarn that receivers just won't cut it with their higher end stuff, especially for music.

On a side note, The later year Definitive eproducts, the st and 7000sc were awesome in their own ways. It is a shame what definitive has turned into as a brand.

I would agree .. my Def Tech 7002 mains and CLR 2500 still kicking butt. I wouldn’t touch any of the new Def Tech stuff !!

Those mythos are sweet speaks :)
    Focal looks pretty nice too :)

• mantis
    Options
    The Mythos ST is one of Sandy's favorite achievements.
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    I’ve been enjoying the Mythos One more recently due to this thread. Put in place of the Dyns, and still have low bass support with SVS sub.

Definitely a clearer, yet not fatiguing midrange, and much bigger soundstage than the Dyns.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    Options
    You definitive guys have to spend 50 bucks and change the tweeter cap and resistor... It seriously is night and day given the stock quality.

I've been contemplating upgrading the pm500 for ages. All of my in ceiling stuff is upgraded and it truly is night and day and sounds so much smoother while being more detailed
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @VR3

What cap/resistor do you recommend?

• VR3
    Options
    I would go for the csa series clarity and the Jantzen superes

If you really wanted to get crazy the old clarity Mr is a great match
  • mantis
    Options
    I’ve been enjoying the Mythos One more recently due to this thread. Put in place of the Dyns, and still have low bass support with SVS sub.

Definitely a clearer, yet not fatiguing midrange, and much bigger soundstage than the Dyns.
    The Mythos ones I almost purchased as they sound totally fantastic especially after careful placement, the right amp , they shine. Yes using a Subwoofer with them is magical. I like them crossed over at the usual 80hz, they really open up there. Do you have silver or black?

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    You definitive guys have to spend 50 bucks and change the tweeter cap and resistor... It seriously is night and day given the stock quality.

I've been contemplating upgrading the pm500 for ages. All of my in ceiling stuff is upgraded and it truly is night and day and sounds so much smoother while being more detailed

I have a full set of brand new crossovers for all my Mythos Speakers. I purchased them years ago in case I wanted to fool around with upgrades OR the stock ones went bad. When my 1st Sub amp went bad, I decided to buy some extra parts. Then I got the other subwoofer amp replaced.

Maybe one of these days either I can pay you to do the upgrade, I'd send you the crossovers or you could teach me how to do it myself. I never performed these mods.
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options

The Mythos ones I almost purchased as they sound totally fantastic especially after careful placement, the right amp , they shine. Yes using a Subwoofer with them is magical. I like them crossed over at the usual 80hz, they really open up there. Do you have silver or black?

Mine are silver.

The really astonishing thing is what they sell for used. I got a pair of Ones and Twos for $300 total; original MSRP would have been $2,800(!).

The build and sound quality is out of this world for the cost.

• VR3
    Options
    Yeah mythos series resale is abysmal since it's a lifestyle product for the industry
  • mantis
    Options

Mine are silver.

The really astonishing thing is what they sell for used. I got a pair of Ones and Twos for $300 total; original MSRP would have been $2,800(!).

Wow $300??? I would grab a pair if I saw them around me all day. They are excellent. Great with a Mythos 8 center and surrounds

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Yeah mythos series resale is abysmal since it's a lifestyle product for the industry

The Mythos series has been my all time favorite Def Tech product line. I don't really care for the newer models
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options

Mine are silver.

Wow $300??? I would grab a pair if I saw them around me all day. They are excellent. Great with a Mythos 8 center and surrounds

That was total price for both pairs.

• jbreezy5
    Options
    I‘m expecting a Mythos Three delivered this weekend. With shipping it was $78.

Gonna try L/C/R.

• mantis
    Options

Gonna try L/C/R.
    Just grabbing deals all over the place, good for you man, excellent!

Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options

Gonna try L/C/R.

Thanks!

Thing is my living room is very small, and these win on tv/movie dialogue and soundstaging, and are competitive on music when using a sub compared to the Dyns.

It’s difficult, but contemplating selling Dyns.

How are your impressions going with the Focals? Still liking them? Any updated opinions compared to your ST?

• mantis
    Options

Gonna try L/C/R.

Thanks!

Thing is my living room is very small, and these win on tv/movie dialogue and soundstaging, and are competitive on music when using a sub compared to the Dyns.

How are your impressions going with the Focals? Still liking them? Any updated opinions compared to your ST?
    The ST towers are simply a better sounding to me speaker. I have removed them from my room, ran the Focal's off the Musical Fidelity M6i in Home theater mode which turns it into a 200 x 2 power amp. It's pretty cool feature.

Only reason I want to move away from the ST towers is the fact they are powered towers. I'm kinda tired of having Powered towers. Yeah I know strange reason to want to move away from a speakers but it's a pain in the **** every time I want to upgrade my gear, get back behind the cabinet with all the wiring going to the ST towers. When I use to use them as Sub's as well, to me it was madness. 3 cables each going to each Tower. I like just having a speaker cable going to my towers. Hell Honestly I thought strongly about going on wall and not having any Speakers on the floor except a pair of Velodyne DD 10 plus subwoofers.

I got the Focal's Dialed in , I had to move my Front Subwoofer as I liked just a bit wider setup and I prefer the sound location of the left side of my room over the right side. I have another sub in he back left side so I might have to move that to the Right rear side to balance out the room. Having both subs in the front yields good results just uneven response of bass from seat to seat. Using the Sub's diagonal from each other yields best results.

I have listened to a ton of music, even ran ACCU EQ to try to match the Speakers to my current Mythos 10 center and surround channel speakers. Nicely, they blend together not to bad. It's not horrible paying from left center to right. The Focal's have a nice punchy response that is close to the Def Tech's.

The Mythos 10 center when it's on with music or movies is really good clear and fills the room well. The myths system is so well balanced being the exact same speaker for the center and surrounds. Not having the ST towers in the system , I miss them but I'm trying to move away so I'm trying to let go. Today , I almost went to the basement to bring them back up and move the Focal's down there. I didn't as the Focal's do so many things so well. They are a very detailed speaker but don't have the weight on the lower frequencies like the ST towers do. It's not even fail to compare them as the ST towers have built in subs and they are remarkable fast clean and sound like passive drivers especially when they are set to small 80hz cut off.

Imaging , the Focal's are just built for music. They excel here. Everything I listen to on them is comfortably Satisfying .
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    Options

Gonna try L/C/R.

Thanks!

The ST towers are simply a better sounding to me speaker. I have removed them from my room, ran the Focal's off the Musical Fidelity M6i in Home theater mode which turns it into a 200 x 2 power amp. It's pretty cool feature.

Only reason I want to move away from the ST towers is the fact they are powered towers. I'm kinda tired of having Powered towers. Yeah I know strange reason to want to move away from a speakers but it's a pain in the **** every time I want to upgrade my gear, get back behind the cabinet with all the wiring going to the ST towers. When I use to use them as Sub's as well, to me it was madness. 3 cables each going to each Tower. I like just having a speaker cable going to my towers. Hell Honestly I thought strongly about going on wall and not having any Speakers on the floor except a pair of Velodyne DD 10 plus subwoofers.

I got the Focal's Dialed in , I had to move my Front Subwoofer as I liked just a bit wider setup and I prefer the sound location of the left side of my room over the right side. I have another sub in he back left side so I might have to move that to the Right rear side to balance out the room. Having both subs in the front yields good results just uneven response of bass from seat to seat. Using the Sub's diagonal from each other yields best results.

I have listened to a ton of music, even ran ACCU EQ to try to match the Speakers to my current Mythos 10 center and surround channel speakers. Nicely, they blend together not to bad. It's not horrible paying from left center to right. The Focal's have a nice punchy response that is close to the Def Tech's.

The Mythos 10 center when it's on with music or movies is really good clear and fills the room well. The myths system is so well balanced being the exact same speaker for the center and surrounds. Not having the ST towers in the system , I miss them but I'm trying to move away so I'm trying to let go. Today , I almost went to the basement to bring them back up and move the Focal's down there. I didn't as the Focal's do so many things so well. They are a very detailed speaker but don't have the weight on the lower frequencies like the ST towers do. It's not even fail to compare them as the ST towers have built in subs and they are remarkable fast clean and sound like passive drivers especially when they are set to small 80hz cut off.

Imaging , the Focal's are just built for music. They excel here. Everything I listen to on them is comfortably Satisfying .

I can relate, don’t like amplification built into speakers.

• jbreezy5
    Options
    Mythos must be on some kind of used fire sale. I bought another pair of Mythos Ones today with a Mythos Three included for $250.

For those interested in downsizing while maintaining high levels of performance, keep an eye out in your area. These are a steal.

I have concluded that I prefer these to my Dyns overall, but, as stated previously, with the caveat that one has at least one good quality sealed sub to cover the lows.

In total I now have Mythos Ones (4), Mythos Three (2), and Mythos Two (2).

Total cost: $550(!) [MSRP approx. $5,600]

@Mantis - I appreciate your comments on the STs compared to the Dyns, which motivated me to take a closer listen to these.

Lifestyle product, or not, these exceptionally good looking, sounding, and overall well-designed speakers, are available at insane prices.

• mantis
    edited March 2023
    Options
    umxpxobqfl74.jpeg
    4ifc3lfc95pz.jpeg
    p6pv7dy07ahu.jpeg
    If I could only find Mythos 10's for a steal, I would buy another pair of them. I have 3 of them now.
    One for the center and the other 2 are my surround speakers. They are remarkable sounding speakers. They where $899 a piece back in the day. These are some older pics
    Dan