RT1000i

aaburto99
aaburto99 Posts: 17
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
I just bought a pair of RT1000i's, a CS245i, and 2 fx300i's. So far I've managed to hook up the center speaker and the towers, because I need to get some wall anchors for the surrounds. While listening to my three speaker arrangement, I notice that sometimes when listening to dialogue, the voices sound good from the center speaker, but sound weird coming from the RT1000i's. You can barely hear the voices and it sounds distorted (from the RT1000i). This isn't always the case, as sometimes the dialogue comes out clear from all three speakers. Can anyone help me?
Post edited by aaburto99 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Sounds like your mains are wired out of phase.Check and make sure the wire is to the positive on speaker and amp as well as the negitive.Remember speakers take a while to break in, give them time.Play them for long periods of time,if you go out and nobodies going to be on, but a cd in and repeat it .This will speed up the break in time.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Since its only happening sometimes, I doubt you have the polarity backwards, but its worth a look, and double check all your connections.

What source? What are you listening too? What gear do you have? Using any 'dsp' modes or soundfields? Is this just on movies, or music too? Try to narrow it down, to a couple common denominators, then you can get to the root of the issue.

At least as far as your speakers go (not knowing your other gear), they should be making you grin ear to ear.....

Cheers,
    Pancho Villa
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • aaburto99
    edited May 2002
    Well, I'm driving them with a Marantz SR-5200 receiver. So far I'm very happy with the speakers, but I'm a little worried about this issue. This problem happens when watching TV. I live in Canada and I use Bell ExpressVu satellite (uses the same hardware as Echostar), and when I watch sports highlights, the sports anchor's voice comes out funny from the mains. This only happens on some channels, and on others it sounds fine. My satellite is hooked up with analog outs (no digital). As for DVDs, it sounds awesome.

I'm new to home theater, and I heard that if your receiver is underpowered (my receiver outputs 85Wx6), it can cause clipping. I doubt this is a case of clipping though, because the volume doesn't have to be that loud.

Also, and I should have mentioned this sooner, I bought the speakers at a clearance sale at an authorized dealer, and I got the floor model, which they said was on display for maybe a month or two. There didn't seem to be any problems with it though, and they didn't seem to have demoed it much, so maybe they aren't broken in yet.

Sorry for being so long winded. The polarity wasn't backwards, by the way.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    It's gotta be the dish/receiver/signal then, and with sweet clean Marantz power, you are pretty much set....

Stick around, nice rig...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    ditto what Russ said....

As a matter of fact, some Canadian friends of my parents reported the same issue and I told them the same thing.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdeal
    jdeal Posts: 16
    edited May 2002
    I have been having the same problem. I have the rt2000i towers and the cs400 center. When I listen to a CD, a DVD, or stereo, the towers sound fine, but when I am watching T.V.(directv), the center and right speaker sound good, but the left sounds like crap. If I use a dsp mode, I get sound from all three. Unfortunately, I don't like the sound of the DSP modes. I have a Pioneer vsx-710 reciever. This model does not have Dolby Pro-Logic II and have wondered if getting a better reciever with this feature would help. Anyone else know of this and why it occours?
  • aaburto99
    edited May 2002
    OK, I can live with that. Thanks for the help guys.
  • aaburto99
    edited May 2002
    jdeal, my receiver has Pro Logic II and that's what I use when I watch satellite TV. As for how bad your left speaker sounds, I can only say that mine sound fine except for the dialogue, and that only happens on certain channels. I'm going to do some more tests, like disabling the center speaker and see if the sound still sounds weird.
  • jdeal
    jdeal Posts: 16
    edited May 2002
    aaburto99,

The music and background that comes out of the left speaker sounds fine, the voice sonds like the speaker has a loose connection or is blown. It souds fine when othe rsources are used. Is this the same problem you have?

jdeal
  • aaburto99
    edited May 2002
    I think so. I did some experimenting and I find that when I disable the center speaker, the towers sound fine, voices and all. When I put it back in, that's when the dialogue (voices) start to sound funny. In my case it's not too bad because you can barely hear it over the good clean sound from the center speaker. Also, this problem only happens for me when I use Dolby Prologic II. The DSP modes don't have this problem. Actually, my receiver has three DPL modes: Pro Logic, PL II Music, and PL II Movie. With PL II Music, the dialogue is output from all the front speakers (my rears aren't connected yet) and doesn't have this problem. With the other Pro Logic modes though, I think the dialogue is all sent to the center speaker for the most part, and whatever's left over sounds muffled and raspy. As long as nothing is physically wrong with the speakers, which I doubt, then I can live with this. It's an annoyance, but a minor one all the same.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i think it is a source singal problems wend the satilite & tv tranmissions have all different recorded sorces like mono, 2 channel and multi-channel, by the time it gets to you it going be be a little or alot of distrotion and channel bleeding, because your set up is different. from the source. its all up to what singal they broadcast and how they broadcast the singal. that why some times it sounds good and bad.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Try something. When this "noise" is really bad, look at the picture and see if there are a lot of RED-ish colors in the picture? Also see if in the RED you see little "dots" in it. If this is the case, you are getting video noise? This will be a product of the video feed and nothing to do with the equipment.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!