L600 impressions, discussion & eventually a review

Options
13»

Comments

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    H9 I'm looking forward to more reviews as you get more hours on them.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I wasn't saying your amp was inadequate with 30 watts, especially in class A. Every amp designer builds based on what they perceive as perfection. For example, my Belles puts out 250 wpc but is quieter and less forceful below 250 Hz than my B&K's. Less watts more output regardless of volume. But the Belles is more musical ( almost to a fault) in the male and female voice ranges. Like you said. Synergy with the amp and pre is what's most important to your ears. As long as it puts a smile on your face, you win!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If so, that is not enough power for them, imho.
    30wpc is not enough for the L600, imo.

heiney9 wrote: »
    I'm just tired of people always saying "30wpc isn't enough"

In the interest of quoting me accurately, please note that both times I said "in my opinion" afterwards.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,122
    Options

In the interest of quoting me accurately, please note that both times I said "in my opinion" afterwards.
    So you have said… your opinion is not shared so move on. Repeating your opinion is not helpful or needed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    Options
    So you have said… your opinion is not shared so move on. Repeating your opinion is not helpful or needed.

Hahah, what!? Oh! I didn't even realize you were here, John! What are you going on about?

I was simply posting a disclaimer for accuracy and trying to avoid being misquoted, not "repeating my opinion".

• Braddles63
    Options
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    I will through this one and see how it is received. (he says looking through his fingers)

0aikjsk2se76.jpg
    13d4ih6vyl04.jpg

I found this helped me find a better bass balance. Bit cleaner.

These are 20mm sandstone pavers.

Runs

I like. Did you use sandstone for a reason, or just a random selection based on availability? Just curious. I'm sure you'll get some nay sayers.

H9

I chose them because they were nice and flat so no rocking. They were a good size. They were nice and heavy, and they were the best looking option for getting approval from the minister in charge of home furnishing.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I will through this one and see how it is received. (he says looking through his fingers)

0aikjsk2se76.jpg
    13d4ih6vyl04.jpg

I found this helped me find a better bass balance. Bit cleaner.

These are 20mm sandstone pavers.

Runs

I like. Did you use sandstone for a reason, or just a random selection based on availability? Just curious. I'm sure you'll get some nay sayers.

H9

I chose them because they were nice and flat so no rocking. They were a good size. They were nice and heavy, and they were the best looking option for getting approval from the minister in charge of home furnishing.

I may try this eventually. If I can find the "right" base.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I have today off of work and I've put the L600's through the paces this morning and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Bass is much better, more defined and they are really starting to open up and are becoming even more transparent. More coherent as well.

When not playing music I have been running TV audio through them each night via an optical to my DAC. I think that is helping the break-in.

Only change is I did hook up an new ethernet cable. It's 25' and I still was getting a ground loop type hum. I had an extra Tripplite (I have been going wireless because of the ground loop type issue)

https://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-tripp-lite-premium-rj45-network-surge-suppressor?gclid=CjwKCAiA2rOeBhAsEiwA2Pl7Q_gocw3_wfQBrMOQdaJFRCC61UnPCKN4Nv-gOaVPurVYF2CsqX6myRoCzXoQAvD_BwE

oerkrg13bcfn.png

Plugged the ethernet into it and then into the Node3 and no more noise, dead silent. Didn't even attach the green ground wire. It really baffles me. I'm going to run this for awhile and I may change to a mesh system.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Getting past the minor issues I experienced today, it was a great listening day.

The bass is starting to become more defined and textured, a lot less boomy than it has been. The transparency is still improving and clarity is excellent. The ability to recreate the nunaces of the sound stage and instruments took a big jump forward since last time. The words to describe is open, open, open. Layers of the sound stage are excellent.

These have surpassed my SDA 1C's in clarity and transparency and scale. I finally was able to emotionally connect with the music today. I threw everything at them today. Acoustic, female vocals, 90's industrial alternative, world music, 90's alternative, jazz. Everything sounded great.

The thought I came away with today is "how the hell are two narrow columns of 4 drivers each producing such large scale sound??" Visually they are 2.5 times less wide than my SDA 1C's. At only 9" wide they are producing sound that seems cannot be coming from such a small foot print. Visually and sonically they put my brain at odds. So I just sat back in the sweet spot and closed my eyes.

These are fantastic speakers. These are fantastic speakers. These are fantastic speakers. Once again, I'm glad I made the decision to purchase.

H9
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Paul Simon's "Graceland" is sublime on the Legends.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    Options
    I listen Paul Simon's Concert in the Park 1991 - which has a selection of Graceland songs and international performers. Both are a great listen.

H9

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I agree with your statement about them "producing sound that seems cannot be coming from such a small foot print." I noticed that compared to the 705's I use to own. The bass also got better with time like you said.

Good to hear you're loving them.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • heiney9
    Options
    So it's been a few weeks since I've been able to sit and listen uninterrupted and alone....lol. Spent most of yesterday listening. I've been running the speakers every night when watching evening TV just to get the hours on them.

One conclusion I came to yesterday is, I don't miss my SDA 1C's. That in no way diminishes the SDA 1C's, but the L600's are really starting to show their character. There is a directness in the L600's the SDA's just can't quite compete with. The L600's are more focused top to bottom and they have a very pleasant immediacy that the 1C's don't have. The bass is startling. So deep and controlled.

One other thing is lots of clarity and transparency, but zero, I mean zero harshness or listening fatigue. Vocal clarity is another very strong point.

These are really staring to come into their own and I am starting to be able to emotionally connect to some of my favorite music.

One stand out from yesterday on Qobuz was the HR version of Muddy Waters - Folk Singer. Such a stripped down recording, very well mastered. I got goosebumps. The ambient cues of the recording studio and the sympathetic resonance of the acoustic guitar as well as the sliding of the pick on the strings while plucking, etc. And Muddy's gruff voice......

Still working an tweaking placement. I have the toe-in dialed in and distance between the 2 speakers correct. They need to be farther out from the back wall, but I just don't have the room.

I am extremely happy with the purchase. My room and room treatments are going to be issues I need to address.

H9

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Thank you Brock... Now I don't feel like I committed blasphemy by saying the L800's topped my 1.2TL's in my space. I still get goosebumps on certain pieces of music. Eva Cassidy's "Live at Blues Creek" is available on Quboz, and it is spectacular.

• heiney9
    Options
    To be fair John, you still have a version of SDA, just a different version. I'm cold turkey :D:p

But, I totally get where you're coming from and we both can see how fantastic the Legend Series is. I've prepared a bit more coherent discussion/review I'll post later to this thread on comparing my 1C's with the L600's.

H9
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Coherent is a good word actually. I find that the entire presentation of the Legend series, just seems to flow naturally from the speakers and fills my space with a well-balanced sound that never seems to place too much emphasis on one thing or another. Rather everything gets its space within the soundstage to shine.

• mikejedi0619
    Options
    Coherent is a good word actually. I find that the entire presentation of the Legend series, just seems to flow naturally from the speakers and fills my space with a well-balanced sound that never seems to place too much emphasis on one thing or another. Rather everything gets its space within the soundstage to shine.

I agree as that is what I am experiencing while breaking in my L200s. I know they aren’t 600s but are from the same family. I am sure the 600 has more of everything though :)

It’s pretty remarkable how neutral these are and I am really enjoying that :)

• heiney9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes, I've been hesitant to talk about neutrality since I haven't really put them through the paces so to speak.

But I agree they seem to be a very neutral speaker. Timbre seems to be very accurate.

H9
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Live at Blues Alley
    Album by Eva Cassidy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Live at Blues Alley
    Album by Eva Cassidy

You are correct... I hate predictive text.

• heiney9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    To finish up some of my thoughts from Monday's listening session: These notes are brief and a little disjointed compared to a "review". These are just thoughts I wrote down in a quick fashion so pardon the grammar mistakes, etc.

The characteristics I’m talking about between the 2 speakers are not necessarily night and day
    differences. But the sum of the differences makes the L600 the more appealing speaker.

I’d gladly put the 1C’s back in service with no regrets. Both are great speakers IMO. The L600 just betters many areas and when you add them up the L600’s become a very engaging speaker. The
    naturalness of the mids and the top end resolution of the L600’s are superb. Detail and air are exemplary and never get harsh.

This is a very neutral sounding speaker, especially the mids.

SDA’s put out a larger field of sound, which leads to what I heard another Polkie mention about SDA’s that they are slightly diffuse in their presentation. I agree after hearing a conventional speaker. You don’t really notice the diffuse properties until you compare.

The L600’s present a slightly smaller sound field, but they possess an immediacy the SDA can’t quite match. The leading edge of music has more life and is….well…more immediate.

The L600’s are more transparent than the 1C’s which I think relates to the above about the
    immediacy, and the SDA’s being slightly diffuse by nature because of the cross talk cancellation.

RD0’s can’t compete with the Ring radiator tweeter. The delicacy, air, accuracy, resolution and decay are excellent with the new and improved ring radiator tweeter. This and the clarity and naturalness of the midrange on the L600 are more than just subtle differences

This is IMO, is where the largest diversion is and you can also thank the cabinet construction for a lot of the reason IMO. It would be interesting the hear an MW driver in the L600 type cabinet.

As I said in an earlier post, I am still simply amazed at the sound and sound field the L600’s put out from such a tall and slender cabinet. Visually and audibly, there is an in-congruence.

The SDA 1C's are large and wide and imposing. The sound they put out is congruent with what you are visually seeing as a large and imposing speaker.

I know I should sell the 1C’s because they will sit here in storage, in the way, for a long time. It’s going to be too much of a hassle to ever swap them in/out. But I’m not ready to give them up 100% yet. Knowing in the back of my mind they are still here…………….if needed……

H9
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Interesting Brock... Thanks for posting your observations. I agree with most of what you posted. The L800's share all those same characteristics, and what I believe is the best implementation of SDA that I have ever heard. The soundstage is huge like you would expect, but it is sharp and clearly defined. The diffuse nature of the previous generations was tamed by the upgrades we have done to them over the years, but the Legend eliminates it.

This is why I feel that some may prefer the older SDA to the new ones. There is a learning curve, as it were, to understanding what you are hearing from the new speakers. The old ones tossed everything up at you in a wall of sound, but the Legends do more than simply toss things out into space. They paint a detailed, three dimensional image that is almost something that can be felt in the room.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    I'm enjoying this read but it also keeps me kicking myself in the a** for not getting in on the sale :(
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • heiney9
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this read but it also keeps me kicking myself in the a** for not getting in on the sale :(

I did that for the first sale. I wanted L600's but only convinced myself to purchase the R200's. Which was also a WIN. This time around for the most recent sale......it was too good a deal to pass up. I'm glad I pulled the trigger. Hopefully for you, another good sale will come. No regrets for the R200's, which I didn't need, and certainly no regrets for the L600's. They have surpassed my lofty expectations.

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    I still get The Absolute Sound magazine delivered for bathroom reading material and still chuckle at speakers being marketed at $750K a pair. I'd rather have a pair of L600s and keep the remaining $748K in my wallet. If I had it to begin with that is.

:D