L600 impressions, discussion & eventually a review

Options

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    Options
    When I get a chance I'll get some better photo's up in more natural light. It will give a better representation.

The front baffle is gloss black plastic, but it looks more expensive than it probably is.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,993
    Options
    I’ve been saying for a long time that the Legends are the best speakers Polk ever produced. The ring radiator tweeter is the real reason they exceed the LSiM’s, the ring radiator is special. Both are excellent in the LFs. Give the Legends good power and they will respond accordingly. The fit and finish of the Legends are also first-rate. The LSiM’s were completely redesigned, and they exceeded the LSi’s. Polks are a progression and the engineers have a lot of institutional memory. I’ve mentioned this before, but as an aside, I sold my LSi-15’s to a friend and later acquired some Dynaudio Audience 60’s that I thought were pretty good, and garnered a widespread admiration. When I got some LSiM’s I thought perhaps my friend with the LSi-15’s would like the Dynaudio’s as an upgrade. I took the Audience 60’s over to his house but by all accounts the LSi-15’s kicked their proverbial azz.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Other than the prototypes at a Polkfest, I have never spent time with the LSiM series, so I don't know how much of an improvement they were to the LSi's. I had LSi 9's and they didn't stay around that long. They have a mid-bass hump that I could never get over (in the design, not my room).

A friend had LSi 15's and the mids up were excellent, I didn't care for the bass from the side firing woofer. I know there was a Momo (IIRC) car subwoofer that was a drop in that performed much better.

LSi's at the time were no slouches and garnered very positive reviews, but they did have their faults.

I'm not sure the Legend series is going to have any significant faults. Certainly, we all have our personal preferences, but outright faults...............

These continue to impress me, and at this stage it takes a lot for me to be impressed since there are so many ho-hum pieces of audio in the market. So many times we are hoping for a step or two up and end up going slightly diagonal.

For me my modded SDA's were my benchmark because of the scale and full sound they put out as well as how effortless they were. Time will tell, but there is most likely a new benchmark for me......I am really diggin' these L600's.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,644
    Options
    It’s interesting to hear the OGs with vintage Polks’ opinions on these new speakers. I am still listening to some yet unmodified RTA 15TLs I bought new. Though they had been boxed up for the past 15 years until just a couple months ago as I moved for my job and didn’t have good places to set them up, they are still my personal benchmark, right or wrong.

With the help of one of the great members here, I’m really looking forward to refreshing the 15’s crossovers, upgrading the binding posts, JB Welding the mid drivers and possibly Dynamating the baskets in order to hopefully improve their sound and keep them going another 30 years. At the same time, I couldn’t help but wonder what the last 30 years of technological improvements have done for the new Polk offerings. Seems pretty clear that the Legend line delivers the goods.

That recent sale was remarkable for anyone that was ready and able to take advantage of it and the 600s are gorgeous. I hope those shipping scratches were repairable or at least well-hidden. Sadly, it’s all too common these days.

Looking forward to your continued comments and impressions.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The black ash has a gloss black front baffle, the walnut has a matte black front baffle.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Didn’t even think they would be different between the two colors. Again it’s a bit hard to tell from the Polk stock pics. The LSIM I believe were both gloss black front, which do look nice even though they are probably plastic.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    So I spent another full day with the Legend L600's on Friday. The soundstage and transparency is really, really good. Center images and depth of sound stage is excellent. One thing that perhaps still needs break in is the bass.

It seems it has gotten a bit looser than the last listening session. It's not yet how people describe the bass from these speakers.

I am really digging everything else about them. I'm not quite ready to say they are worthy upgrade to the 1C's........but I think it's headed in that direction.

I know they still need more break-in. They need placement tweeking and I need to remove the rubber feet and use the spikes. I'm getting there.

Total hours on the speakers is still under 100.

H9
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Your lack of bass could be amp related depending on how it's voiced for low frequency output. 1C's dig pretty darn deep (or at least mine do with my setup).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,170
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    So I spent another full day with the Legend L600's on Friday. The soundstage and transparency is really, really good. Center images and depth of sound stage is excellent. One thing that perhaps still needs break in is the bass.

It seems it has gotten a bit looser than the last listening session. It's not yet how people describe the bass from these speakers.

I am really digging everything else about them. I'm not quite ready to say they are worthy upgrade to the 1C's........but I think it's headed in that direction.

I know they still need more break-in. They need placement tweeking and I need to remove the rubber feet and use the spikes. I'm getting there.

Total hours on the speakers is still under 100.

H9
    You still have about 200 hours to go, and as soon as you get them on spikes, the whole world changes. In another month you will think you bought another pair of speakers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Your lack of bass could be amp related depending on how it's voiced for low frequency output. 1C's dig pretty darn deep (or at least mine do with my setup).

It's not the amp.

H9
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,163
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The problem with the Lsim series are glass tweeters and no replacement parts. Long term paper weights unfortunately as people burn thru drivers. The cast baskets of the woofers are poorly molded, common to see the mounting flange completely torn from the spokes.

The fit and finish of the Lsim enclosures is top tier, as is the legend series.

Polks build quality is first class regardless of the price point. (enclosure)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My statement "not yet a worthy upgrade to the 1C's" didn't come out right. The L600's are very worthy speakers. The presentation is different and the L600's are more coherent top to bottom. Vifa vs. RD0, no contest the Vifa is smoother, more transparent and has more "air" and clarity.

I know they are still breaking in and I just need to keep at it.

H9
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,656
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »

It's not the amp.

H9

What amp are you using with them?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Pass Aleph 30?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Options
    If so, that is not enough power for them, imho.

As a side note, I really disliked and found the Pass Labs INT-25 unimpressive, so much so that I declined to review it.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Believe me, it's got plenty of oomph. I would agree that could be a possibility if my rig was in a much larger space. It's fine if you don't like that Pass sound, you would be one of the very few that disliked the INT-25 (we all have our preferences).

All of the Pass amps have their own personalities and they don't fit every situation. Wattage rating isn't everything.

I have been a Pass fan for a long time and will always have a Pass amp in the mix. The next being and XA25.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My personal preferences aside, I stand by that 30wpc is not enough for the L600, imo. Regardless of amplifier topology or room size. It will certainly be audibly affecting the bass performance of the speaker.
  • VR3
    Options
    Have to agree
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,137
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My Pass XA30.5 could not handle my Dynaudio C1-II's. This was disappointing because I loved that amp with the Usher MD2's.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,137
    Options
    Dyn's 85db@4ohm
    MD2's 90db@4ohm
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,402
    Options
    Taking the rubber feet off is easy and may help improve the sound.
  • heiney9
    Options
    As a side note, I really disliked and found the Pass Labs INT-25 unimpressive, so much so that I declined to review it.

My personal preferences aside, I stand by that 30wpc is not enough for the L600, imo. Regardless of amplifier topology or room size. It will certainly be audibly affecting the bass performance of the speaker.

Respectfully disagree. Topology has a lot to do with it. I prefer single ended class A

Since neither one of you are here listening (Vr3) then you can't really say the Aleph isn't enough.

I guarantee the XA25 will be enough since it's capable of 200 watts into 2ohms, but is rated at a lowly 30 wpc. Of course at that output it's no longer pure class A.

I'm not going to argue about this as watts really equate to decibels. Plus, ratings are achieved many ways. Many of Pass amp are very underrated because Pass Labs isn't chasing something that looks good in print.

My bass issues are more room and placement issues, not amp issues.

Quotes from a Dick Olsher review

Let me start with traditional solid-state virtues; namely, bass drive, resolution, and macrodynamics. There was absolutely no hesitation or stall while revving up its output stage to negotiate loud passages. This sensation of instantaneous power, a hallmark of upper echelon solid-state amplifiers, was present in spades. In fact, the change in "RPM", from low to high level was linear with no perception of any compression.

Bass impact and definition were superlative. My impression was that the Aleph was pushing bass lines to the limit allowed by the loudspeaker. This was a complete package. The bass range was tightly integrated with exceptional body and pitch definition. The last thing I look forward to in an amplifier is an anemic upper bass or lower midrange. For someone like me who's enamored with the majesty of a double bass or cello, the fundamental and first harmonic must be served up correctly - or there's hell to pay. 

Granted the speakers he was using were most likely a bit more efficient.

Wattage really doesn't mean a whole lot unless you know exactly how the amp was measured and the parameters used.

That's all I'm going to say unless the nay sayers are here listening, not arm chairing it.

H9

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,588
    edited January 2023
    Options
    n/a
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I have heard the XA 25 head-to-head against a Simaudio 760a and I must say I thought the latter was more musical than the Pass. Sweet mids without being to analytical.bass was a bit more refined. You might want to consider another flavor…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I will through this one and see how it is received. (he says looking through his fingers)

0aikjsk2se76.jpg
    13d4ih6vyl04.jpg

I found this helped me find a better bass balance. Bit cleaner.

These are 20mm sandstone pavers.

Runs
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Looks familiar, did the same thing with my R600's (carpet sucks). Mine are wood however...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • VR3
    Options
    Regardless of watts or brands, I've never owned an amplifier that universally had synergy across multiple speakers, especially two that sounds so drastically different as the older sda and the legend.

Just be open to change is all I will say.

Pass labs makes a great product... As does a couple hundred other brands.

Synergy is more important than name plates
  • heiney9
    Options
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    I will through this one and see how it is received. (he says looking through his fingers)

0aikjsk2se76.jpg
    13d4ih6vyl04.jpg

I found this helped me find a better bass balance. Bit cleaner.

These are 20mm sandstone pavers.

Runs

I like. Did you use sandstone for a reason, or just a random selection based on availability? Just curious. I'm sure you'll get some nay sayers.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's not a name plate, it's an entire design philosophy and proven approach to amp building. Synergy is very important, I agree 1000%. I just love how people start jumping to conclusions about gear (not you Trey so much). These speakers aren't even broken in yet. The journey to get the synergy is going to take a long time and much experimenting. Maybe it's the tubes I'm using...

I'm just tired of people always saying "30wpc isn't enough", when they've never heard my rig or for that matter the amp. I'm not new to this hobby. I know my preference's.

Anyway, this is starting to go way off base. I'm just going to leave this thread alone for awhile and work on dialing the rig in and breaking it in.

H9

• nooshinjohn
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I agree with you H9… your amps are plenty for the Legends. People get too hung up on watts and fail to take the quality of those watts and the current behind them. Synergy is another beast altogether. I am sure you will cross that bridge when you get there, but until then, enjoy the ride